Question: How many of you use screen protectors on your bionic? Having issues....

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
Ive had mybionic for 4 days now and just got my screen protectors in today. i ordered them cheap on ebay. they are nice protectors however im having an issues with air bubbles that are formed around little imperfections on the screen i assume i should of put screen protectors on the phone right away when i first got it. now there are bubbles formed around little debris that has apparently imbedded itself on the screen during my 4 days of use. cant see it with the screen cover off.

should i just go with no screen protector? any of you been going bare screen for a while and not had any issues of scratching or anything?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I got my Bionic in September I got their "3 for $12" screen protectors. They put it on and I was happy with it for a month or so. Then I took it off and didn't bother to put another on. I keep my Bionic in a holster and haven't had any scratchs and the like.

On my OG Droid I had the Zagg screen protector for about 20 minutes. I never could get it without bubbles or bits of dirt. Others will swear by Zagg.

whomhead

Reaction score
Ive had mybionic for 4 days now and just got my screen protectors in today. i ordered them cheap on ebay. they are nice protectors however im having an issues with air bubbles that are formed around little imperfections on the screen i assume i should of put screen protectors on the phone right away when i first got it. now there are bubbles formed around little debris that has apparently imbedded itself on the screen during my 4 days of use. cant see it with the screen cover off.

should i just go with no screen protector? any of you been going bare screen for a while and not had any issues of scratching or anything?

Here's a tip- buy a bottle of eyeglass cleaner spray.

Peel the screen protector off.

Spray a little on the screen, then spray a good amount on the sticky side of the screen protector.

Position it on the screen, then take a credit card and use it like a squeegee to get the bubbles out. Be sure to wipe up the excess spray often

After a couple of hours, you'll be all set.

It's almost impossible to get a screen protector on without bubbles without some sort of spray.

DoctorV

Reaction score
I don't have a screen protector on my Bionic because the Bionics screen is made of Gorilla glass. From what I've heard is that anything that is going to make a scratch on Gorilla glass is going to tear through a screen protector like it was nothing anyway so it's pointless to have one on. Kind of like using a piece of cardboard as a bulletproof vest.

Now having said that my screen actually does have a tiny 3mm scratch on it and thank god it's on the upper left hand corner of the phone on the black border so it doesn't affect the viewing part of the screen. How I got that scratch is beyond me because I have an Otterbox Commuter case and I handle my phone like a newborn baby. Would a screen protector really have prevented it? I honestly have no idea. I would think it wouldn't have but who knows.

bbtkd

Reaction score

Unless you wear diamond earrings or keep your phone in your pocket with sand, just go "bareback". Gorilla Glass is fairly impervious to scratches, except from diamonds or sand - and you'll like the feel with no protection.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Bareback is the only way to go. Gorilla glass rocks! Had my Fascinate for 18 months now and with no screen protection, in and out of my pocket everyday, it looks as new as the day I bought it. Finally convinced the wife to do the same with her Charge a few months ago and she loves it. She keeps hers in her purse of course, but so far Gorilla glass has done its job quite well.

**tap'n**

jhom

Reaction score
I use Steinheil Ultra Clear protectors on my 3 Bionics. You would never know they are on the screen. I rather have good protection on the screen than regret not having it when it is scratched. All you need is a grain of sand to scratch the screen. The Steinheil are easy to apply. Make sure you apply the screen protectors in the bathroom after a shower when the dust is minimal.

lykofos

Reaction score
I bought the Verizon screen protectors at first and quickly realized that they're garbage.

I then got the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic and they are amazing!

I used the "steamy shower" method to apply the screen protector and have zero air bubble / dust spots: Turn your shower on the hottest position for about 5 minutes with the door shut. Turn off the shower and enter the steamy bathroom with your phone / the screen protectors. The steam helps reduce dust in the air from falling on the screen while applying the protector. Thoroughly wipe off the bionic screen with the lint free cloth provided with the Steinheil protectors. Begin applying the protector with the provided squegee. If you do happen to get a speck of stray dust on the screen or underside of the protector while applying it, there are also a few "dust strip stickers" that are included in the package that you can use to safely remove the dust speck(s) and continue applying the screen protector.

kpaisner

Reaction score
Screen Protector Application

You can't have any dust on the screen when you apply the protector. Use an optical (lens) cloth to wipe it clean before you apply the film. Smooth it out with a credit card. No dust=no bubbles. I got mine cheap on Amazon. Perfect so far, about 6 weeks.

Is this a little like a pocket protector for the 2000sss?

jdlowsracer

Reaction score
I don't use them and I've even dropped my bionic a couple times on the concrete. One time it went sliding across the concrete face down for about ten feet...not a single scratch. I've had my bionic since release day and screen still looks new. On the otherhand, I can't say the same for chromed plastic facing...dinged bottom two corners.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I always seem to get bubbles. My suggestion would be to go to your local mall and pay someone 5 dollars at the little phone screen stands to apply your screen for you its worth it. Watched them do my friends iphone couldn't even tell it was there. Worth the cost imo

Edit lol at above. Yeah my phones screen has hit soda cans and other such things and looks great lol the phone itself takes the betting

Last edited:

cindylike24

Reaction score
Bionic_Racer said:

While the Bionic has a screen made of gorilla class, I keep a non-glare screen protector on my phone because the it hides the inevitable fingerprints that will show up on the screen or at least make them less visible on the screen.

Cindy

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
I have found the best way to apply a screen protector with little to no bubbles is spray the screen protector with eye glass cleaner just like someone else previously posted. If you don't have eye glass cleaner (like myself lol) just put some rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle and spray it onto the sticky side of the screen protector. Then apply the screen protector on the phone and use a flexible spatula to press out the bubbles! :)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
lykofos said:
I used the "steamy shower" method to apply the screen protector and have zero air bubble / dust spots: Turn your shower on the hottest position for about 5 minutes with the door shut. Turn off the shower and enter the steamy bathroom with your phone / the screen protectors. The steam helps reduce dust in the air from falling on the screen while applying the protector.

If I had known about this method when I had my OG Droid, I probably would have kept the Zagg on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums