Question about Wifi and Google Voice

messtress

Reaction score
Is it possible to receive sms messages through google voice while in airplane mode and using Wifi? I have tried to send myself a text a few times, and they don't seem to come through until I turn off airplane mode. Am I doing something wrong? I was hoping to use this option while in Aruba...Thanks in advance...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Text message does not use data so no, while you're in airplane mode it won't work.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea, plus you cannot be on wifi if in airplane mode. Airplane Mode basically makes your phone a toy with no connections...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea, plus you cannot be on wifi if in airplane mode. Airplane Mode basically makes your phone a toy with no connections...

Yes you can be on wifi while in Airplane Mode and it works just fine for connecting to the internet and other data. I've used it several times that way.

romeov

Reaction score
To clear up this issue:

Yes, you can receive Google Voice SMS through your data connection. (Only google voice texts, and only through the android GV app itself)

and yes, you can use wifi in airplane mode. The trick is you have to turn it back ON after you go into airplane mode. Airplane mode does indeed shut off all connections, but you can specifically turn wifi back on and still be in airplane mode (ie: no 3g data)

Then, your google voice texts will come through over the wifi data connection.

OP
M

messtress

Reaction score
To clear up this issue:

Yes, you can receive Google Voice SMS through your data connection. (Only google voice texts, and only through the android GV app itself)

and yes, you can use wifi in airplane mode. The trick is you have to turn it back ON after you go into airplane mode. Airplane mode does indeed shut off all connections, but you can specifically turn wifi back on and still be in airplane mode (ie: no 3g data)

Then, your google voice texts will come through over the wifi data connection.

Ok, so I gave this a try. I put the droid in Airplane mode, then turned on wifi....Sent myself a text to my google voice # and it didn't come through. Waited about a half hour. Turned Wifi off, and turned off airplane mode and they came through...Am I don't something wrong?

I really don't want to have to pay verizon the extra money just to get sms messages while in Aruba

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I gave this a try. I put the droid in Airplane mode, then turned on wifi....Sent myself a text to my google voice # and it didn't come through. Waited about a half hour. Turned Wifi off, and turned off airplane mode and they came through...Am I don't something wrong?
Did you verify that you had a good WiFi connection? Were you able to use data for other purposes as well?

OP
M

messtress

Reaction score
Did you verify that you had a good WiFi connection? Were you able to use data for other purposes as well?

Yes, I had a stron WiFi connection, I could do everything else. Here are the steps I took...I turned on Airplane mode, then turned on Wifi, I could surf the net, check facebook etc...

I wasn't sure if there was a setting somewhere I had to find. I can do everything else with the wifi, I just can't seem to get google voice to work...