question about update

Mudd92

Reaction score
If i try to perform the 2.3 update, being my phone is rooted will I mess anything up by doing it? I know I would lose root, but would it mess the phone up? Im not to concerened about losing root acess being that Ive never really used it for its potential, the phone with stock settings has been fine for me and I only rooted to O/C the phone and I havent even played with that in months I just run stock settings.

But I dont want to lose any thing on the phone if poss.

Thank you.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally, would unroot. Especially if you aren't using it. Be prepared though, it seems like the OTA Gingerbread update is plagued with issues.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

jonathon1289

Reaction score
As long as you did not change anything on the phone, such as uninstalling any bloat (Blockbuster, Madden, etc) you should be able to install the OTA GingerBread update. If it installs, you will not lose any of your stuff.

However, if you have changed any of your phone, or if the OTA upgrade fails, you will lose any of your stuff unless you have a backup. My best reccomendation for you is use a backup app (Titanium Backup or Mybackup are two well known ones) and make a backup of any of your apps and data. You may also wish to backup texts and call history. This way, worst case scenario the update bombs and you have to SBF the phone, you can restore the backup (to Froyo or Gingerbread) and not lose anything.