question about the browser on bionic

billatharbor

Reaction score
ive never posted here before but i have a question-i use a moto bionic and whenever i do a google search google gives me its normal list of choices-when i click on one of the choices it takes me to the website-so far everything normal-but when i hit the back arrow it either takes me out of the browser or back to a website i had been on earlier-it should take me back to the list of choices-any idea if this is a setting or what is going on?
thanks
-bill

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
I don't think i've had that problem. Unless I hit back on the first page that I brought up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Dirtdawg57

Reaction score
I have this problem and it's a big issue for me. It makes it very difficult to use the browser because I can't just push the back button to go back to google, I have to go through the book marks to get back. If anyone has an answer please share!

mamawm

Reaction score
it sounds like when you click on your selection, for some reason it is opening the site in a new window/tab. mine doesn't do this but there is probably a browser setting responsible. if that is the case, just close that window/tab and you should be back at your search page.

JimEds

Reaction score
I'm also having this problem on my droid x2, it's really starting annoy me that my phone with google's OS won't work with google's site!

@mamawm - it isn't opening in a new window/tab because if you refresh the faulty page (after you press back button) it reloads the basic google mobile search page. I found this out when I realized the url in the address bar was in fact showing a google url, despite displaying a page from earlier or the page you just backed out of.

I'm no techno genius, but I'm thinking maybe this has to do with the way that google's search engine now works on mobile devices, it seems to me that instead if actually opening a new page to display the results, it now does this within the same page, because when I ran a search instead of loading a new url I saw a loading icon of spinning circles. Could this have something to do with the google instant beta? I definitely have this option switched to off on my phone so I know this isn't the problem, but maybe it effects the way the search engine works anyway.

Last edited:

Fireplug

Reaction score
I think I found a solution. Not sure how it is connected but this appears to be working for me. On the Google search home page there is a link to settings (not the browser settings you get to by pushing the menu button at the bottom, but the seach settings link that is only available on the actual search home page.) When you click this settings link it brings up a list of search settings and one of them is called "google instant"

Check the box that says "do not use google instant" and save.

That's it. Fixed it for me.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I think I found a solution. Not sure how it is connected but this appears to be working for me. On the Google search home page there is a link to settings (not the browser settings you get to by pushing the menu button at the bottom, but the seach settings link that is only available on the actual search home page.) When you click this settings link it brings up a list of search settings and one of them is called "google instant"

Check the box that says "do not use google instant" and save.

That's it. Fixed it for me.

I'm having the same issue, ill try this. Thank you

Edit: nah I went to that and its checked already not to, it can't be that.

Fireplug

Reaction score
Odd. Because it definitely fixed mine and at least two other folks. Wonder if it is a combination of settings. Or perhaps cycle through checking and unchecking to see if it resets? Sorry it didn't work for you.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Well what's weird is mine was unchecked so I rechecked it saved and then unchecked it and saved. The issue is when u search its suppose to not give u suggestions anymore but it still does. Its almost like the selection ain't working.

Fireplug

Reaction score
Hmm. Are you signed in on the search homepage with the same google account your phone uses? Just pulling ideas out if my bum here now. Perhaps a cache clear or phone reboot might help as well??? Just for kicks, here are my settings: Search History: Do not save searches Safe Search Filters: No Filtering Device Location: Allow Google search to use location Recent Locations: Save recent locations Google Instant: Do not use google instant Langueage in google products: English

Last edited:

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Hmm. Are you signed in on the search homepage with the same google account your phone uses? Just pulling ideas out if my bum here now. Perhaps a cache clear might help as well???

Lol Yeap and done that as well. I just got this thing Saturday and noticed it doing this a few times, hope it stops doing it.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Made it the same as urs now. Will give it a whirl. Thanks.