Question about the 2.3.340 update, unrooting & what to remove?

B

budmonster

I'm still on OS 2.2 v2.3.15 w/ root. I used RootMyX2 to root. I was reading that some DX users had to flash the SBF file and then click "Wipe/Reset" and "Clear Cache" for them to receive the 2.3.340 update? Do I still need to flash the SBF or just unroot? RootMyX2 has an unroot button, I obviously just his the unroot button and I should be good, SU and busybox should be removed. Don't I have to remove Clockwork, logwrapper, etc. somehow? I'm not sure what files need to be removed to be fully unrooted. What files do I need to remove and how do I go about doing it? Right now I'm not getting any updates in settings. Yeah, I know the update really doesn't change much, but I'm picky and want to be up to date. Sorry, if this has all be answered before.

Thanks guys...BUD
smile.png

droid_tlc

Reaction score
I was on OS 2.2 v2.3.15 w/root. You have to make sure all the apps that were on the phone when you got it are on there before you update. I just rebooted my phone and when it came back on I went to about phone and the update was there. I downloaded it and installed. It removed root but I used z4root and it rooted my phone. Haven't had any problems.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
From what I've read you don't have to remove root, you just have to be on Stock 2.2 rooted and the update will still work subsequently removing your root.

OP
B

budmonster

I was on OS 2.2 v2.3.15 w/root. You have to make sure all the apps that were on the phone when you got it are on there before you update. I just rebooted my phone and when it came back on I went to about phone and the update was there. I downloaded it and installed. It removed root but I used z4root and it rooted my phone. Haven't had any problems.

i don't have all my apps. that's the problem. i deleted some with root explorer, instead of freezing them with TB and I cant remember which ones i removed now.

so im guessing i need to flash the 3.15 sbf file to get my apps back? i only deleted like 5 apps, just cant remember them. ive tried to go into system and no updates there it says im currently up to date.

OP
B

budmonster

From what I've read you don't have to remove root, you just have to be on Stock 2.2 rooted and the update will still work subsequently removing your root.

i just want to unroot to be safe, you can always root again. i thought i read somewhere that you have remove Clockwork Recovery and all those files?

droid_tlc

Reaction score
I have all the apps that came stock on the x saved to my comp. Too bad you can't remember which ones you deleted.

DropC

Reaction score
Try sbfing and a factory reset after.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

NYDaddy

Reaction score
I unrooted now what?

I use z4root too and unrooted, pulled out the battery and put it back in. How do I get the Gingerbread update? I went to settings, phone info, update and it says I am up to date. but I am still on 2.2 Anyone know what I need to do?
:reddroid:

OP
B

budmonster

Its not gingerbread

NYDaddy

Reaction score
Its not gingerbread

Thanks, I did read that it is not gingerbread but v2.3.340 update. I think it is just a matter of when they let our phones update so when a 'batch' of phones is authorized to upgrade and my phone is in it? perhaps? IDK. I will keep reading.

vettesfan

Reaction score
I was rooted using z4root. I unrooted to receive the update is it safe to reroot using z4root?

superhack

Reaction score
I was rooted on 2.3.15 rooted and grabbed the update from XDA's and put the update onto SDCard rebooted to recovery and applied update.zip and then re-rooted with z4root seems good but still downloading the Madden2011 but the performance of the phone has definately gone up for me

donballz

Reaction score
Root is irrelevant and so is clockwork. All you need to do is be stock with all bloatware intact.

OP
B

budmonster

Root is irrelevant and so is clockwork. All you need to do is be stock with all bloatware intact.

ok so since root and clockwork is irrelevant, why am i not receiving the update? does it just go out in spurts? are the initial updates sent to a small group, testers or something?

i found this update.zip on xda-developers - View Single Post - Droid X 2.3.340 Update for 2.3.340 (the update is 25.74mb). for me to use this do i need to SBF back to stock 2.2 3.15, since i deleted apps on my phone? i cant remember what apps i deleted, so i cant restore the "bloatware"? im already on 3.15 but like i said i deleted apps like an idiot.

one more thing...is this update.zip going around a bad idea to flash? it seems like some are getting it to work and some aren't.

TBH already has ROM with the new update.

donballz

Reaction score
Actually yes. Read in another thread on here that the update was only rolling out to a test group f for now.

If you updated to a leaked 340 there is no stable way back to stock. Think you will have to wait for black hat to hook us up. I an in the same boat.