Question about the 2.3.340 update, unrooting & what to remove?

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have a droid x, rooted, with the 928 Droid Rom on it. will i still get the update when its available? i didn't delete any of the apps that came preinstalled

928 Droid is a custom rom. In other words you are not running a stock setup. The update may or may not try to deploy to your phone. If it does pop-up, it will fail and not cause any harm.

tourplayer

Reaction score
i have a droid x, rooted, with the 928 Droid Rom on it. will i still get the update when its available? i didn't delete any of the apps that came preinstalled

928 Droid is a custom rom. In other words you are not running a stock setup. The update may or may not try to deploy to your phone. If it does pop-up, it will fail and not cause any harm.

If you're referring to 928 Black Glass this is a theme not a ROM. If you look at his download page he was kind enough in the beginning to include an update.zip that returned your phone back to stock. If you apply that just like you did the original theme and make sure you have all the original bloatware that came on the phone then YOU WILL receive the update when it's available to you. I have had the update since yesterday and so far my phone is working very well. Everything is a touch quicker and I haven't run into any problems other than my market force closing anytime I try "update all". It was doing this before the update though so I can't really blame that. As mentioned before, root and clockwork have nothing to do with it. I was rooted before the update, lost root after the update and was able to reroot with Z4.

Last edited:

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you're referring to 928 Black Glass this is a theme not a ROM. If you look at his download page he was kind enough in the beginning to include an update.zip that returned your phone back to stock. If you apply that just like you did the original theme and make sure you have all the original bloatware that came on the phone then YOU WILL receive the update when it's available to you. I have had the update since yesterday and so far my phone is working very well. Everything is a touch quicker and I haven't run into any problems other than my market force closing anytime I try "update all". It was doing this before the update though so I can't really blame that. As mentioned before, root and clockwork have nothing to do with it. I was rooted before the update, lost root after the update and was able to reroot with Z4.

Correct. The important point is that themes almost all require the system to be deodexed. The OTA update will fail if you try to install it on a deodexed system. As you said 928droid provided an update.zip to get you back to the stock odexed systems so that you can install the OTA update.

tourplayer

Reaction score
Currently rooted running the new udpate. Can I deodex?

No reason you can't, unless you're referring to using 928Black deodexxer to do so. 928 shouldn't work until it gets updated as well as any other themes meant for the older version.

swagmonster

Reaction score
If I made a nandroid and then used my stock nandroid to get the update then used the newest nandroid would I keep update ?

bcals0087

Reaction score
If I made a nandroid and then used my stock nandroid to get the update then used the newest nandroid would I keep update ?

Basically, if you're updated to the 30.04 bootloader, using your nandroid from a 2.3.15 will brick your phone, unless you do an advanced restore, and restore the SYSTEM only. This will restore your systems files to the 2.3.15 but your bootloader will be the same. Then when the update rolls out, you should be able to get it, as long as all your files are intact. Restoring your nandroid from the leak would be pointless because you'd still be on the same bootloader, but your system files would be different. Better off to just start fresh when the .340 update comes out.

Warrior

Reaction score
My kid as a rooted 2.3.9 on his droid now. I just downloaded the 2.3.15 update and I would like to know if we can just run this update or do we need to reflash the SBF file fir 2.1 then run the update?

zackwhitman

Reaction score
alright, so I just went back and did the 928 Back To Stock update.zip and i tried using the update.zip for the new OTA and it keeps giving me the Status 7 fail message, what should i do?

wb1960

Reaction score
I am running stock rom ,rooted.I renamed my bloatware from .apk to.bak Do I need to rename them all back to .apk to receive the update. I never removed any of the apps,just renamed them

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
alright, so I just went back and did the 928 Back To Stock update.zip and i tried using the update.zip for the new OTA and it keeps giving me the Status 7 fail message, what should i do?

Make sure you installed the Back_ToStock Odexed update file from here:

There are two version of the Back_ToStock update. If you used the deodexed version, you will get the status 7 fail.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am running stock rom ,rooted.I renamed my bloatware from .apk to.bak Do I need to rename them all back to .apk to receive the update. I never removed any of the apps,just renamed them

Yes! CityID, VZNavigator and all the other crapware has to be there in the original apk form and with their corresponding .odex files.

zackwhitman

Reaction score
i used the correct version and still no luck :(

EDIT EDIT

I have been using the clockwork recovery and had no luck, but when going into the actual recovery mode by holding home and power, it updated my phone with no error!can i load up the 928 droid theme now for this? or wont it work with the new version after i root it again.

Last edited:

mike770

Reaction score
I have a stock X with root access. I understand for the update to happen, all the bloatware needs to be in place. Does this apply to Need for Speed? I uninstalled it prior to root. All other bloatware left as is.

Last edited:

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a stock X with root access. I understand for the update to happen, all the bloatware needs to be in place. Does this apply to Need for Speed? I uninstalled it prior to root. All other bloatware left as is.

That shouldn't matter. Although NFS was pre-installed, it was not installed as a system app.