Question about Sending phone in (Help Please!)

AmberG

Reaction score
I am new to the site so I am not sure if I am posting in the right section or not, Ive been a long time lurker but never a poster.

I have the Droid A855 and a friend guided me through rooting with the Easy Root app and so on, Now I am not in touch with said friend and have a problem, So somehow I managed to unroot (not really wanting to) using the app but was still with the custom rom (ChevyNo1) I looked up all kinds of ways on how to fix it and get back to the Stock settings etc but nothing worked..I found one way that seemed like it would work but my phone quit working before I could try.

My phone is stuck on the Motorola screen, the logo is to the left a bit and isnt in the center of the screen anymore and after a minute or two it the screen will go completely black and you cant turn it off or on the phone will vibrate (like its turned on) and my LED lights up like its trying to boot up but it goes no where screen wise..I looked up and tried all kinds of things to fix it but nothing worked.

I said all this to say this. Verizon is sending me a new phone on Monday..and I am suppose to send my phone back to them, Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it back to stock or should I just not worry about it and let it go, I dont want some crazy fine because I did all this. =/

(As you can tell complete newbie here, So I may be asking dumb questions and worrying to much, I just would like some kind of piece of mind)

Thanks in advanced! I really appreciate it!

maddog2014

Reaction score
Don't worry theybdont check if it is rooted I sent back a rooted one that had a failed update and I couldn't sbf it so I got a new one and they never said anything as long as it dosnt turn all the way back on and go though the phone and yours if bricked so you have nothing to worry about

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

maddog2014

Reaction score
I will also add this happened last year and its been over 5 months and they never said anything

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
Amber, before you put the chevy rom on, did you back up your original stock rom?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
People like you are the reason Verizon / Motorola / other manufacturers and carriers are locking down our devices. Breaking your own phone and having them replace it.

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
Its people like you? WOW no offence but regardless if someone roots there phone or not they still have or may have a warranty. You would not know why they lock the devices being that you dont work with non of them. I my self had to send in a rooted phone cause my screen was not working and was kind of cracked, i was still under warranty and i also had assurance. I see it this way i payed for it and i want to have full control over it...just remember even though you wont admit it you are part of that group of people. If not why else would you be on these forums...

Sent from my SCH-I800 Galaxy Tab using DroidForums

Last edited:

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Yes, they have a warranty, but it's there for if your phone malfunctions due to manufacturer error (be it Motorola or Google's Android). This person BROKE THEIR PHONE THEMSELVES. It was not Motorola, Google, or Verizon's fault, yet they're sending in their phone to have it replaced for free.

If I ****ed up my phone on my own, sure, I'd be mad at myself, but I would suck it up and buy a used Droid 1 again of someplace like Swappa. $100 really isn't that bad of a price to pay when YOU break your own phone.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing you can do at this point is get into the bootloader and sbf the the phone as a last resort.

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
Its people like you? WOW no offence but regardless if someone roots there phone or not they still have or may have a warranty. You would not know why they lock the devices being that you dont work with non of them. I my self had to send in a rooted phone cause my screen was not working and was kind of cracked, i was still under warranty and i also had assurance. I see it this way i payed for it and i want to have full control over it...just remember even though you wont admit it you are part of that group of people. If not why else would you be on these forums...

Sent from my SCH-I800 Galaxy Tab using DroidForums

Actually, it's a complete violation of warranty to tamper with the programming and to use it in any way it wasn't designed to be used. Rooting a phone to get around the system is doing just that. So while I know and understand why people do it...yes it DOES technically negate your warranty. IF they were looking for it and found it, they could charge you 300 dollars for it, but truth is most probably don't even know how, or care, or can't due to condition of phone.

Yes, they have a warranty, but it's there for if your phone malfunctions due to manufacturer error (be it Motorola or Google's Android). This person BROKE THEIR PHONE THEMSELVES. It was not Motorola, Google, or Verizon's fault, yet they're sending in their phone to have it replaced for free.

If I ****ed up my phone on my own, sure, I'd be mad at myself, but I would suck it up and buy a used Droid 1 again of someplace like Swappa. $100 really isn't that bad of a price to pay when YOU break your own phone.

I have to agree. I'm one of the people who has to try to troubleshoot these phones that people messed up themselves, either due to rooting or just not knowing wtf they're doing, or a combination of the two. It's called user error and it's not under warranty, but most people get away with it. I've been tempted many times to check for a root but I don't, because honestly I have better ways to spend my time.

Last edited:
OP
A

AmberG

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help everyone, I never expected this many replies!

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
the reason i said that is because once verizon gets the phone and its not in working order it goes to asurion wireless insurance once they get it they try to refurbish it and send it out to who ever loses there phone. either way the phone will get recycled and used again i have a friend who used to work for assurance and he told me what they do. thats why i dont mind sending in a rooted phone cause i know that it is going to be reused. but so far i been blessed and follow every step in the rooting process and never had an issues ( knock on wood )...

Last edited:

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
Amber, ok so you made a back up of your stock rom. You unrooted using easy root?? I would suggest that you click easy root and re root your phone. Then after you're rooted again flash clockwork recovery in rom manager. From there go into recovery mode and restore your original stock back up. After you get your stock rom back up go to easy root and click unroot. You should be back at stock

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited: