Question about ROMs and kernels

devortiz06

Reaction score
I would like to install a new rom on my Incredible, I am considering either cyanogenmod 7 or incredibly re-engineered. I have had a hard time finding a guide on flashing roms. It it correct that you just have do a factory reset and clear data in clockwork recovery then install the rom from its zip placed on the SD card? Also I have found very little information about kernels, only other people's questions, some of which are conflicting and confused. Is a new kernel typically included in the rom, or are they separately installed.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kernels come with the rom they are usually a stock kernel however so it's a bit slow but you then can install another one over the rom.

Yes it is always recommended to do a full wipe of your system before installing a rom it will cause a lot of problems if you don't wipe. That is why you always do a nandroid though before you wipe and install so you always have a back up to go back to. As for installing a rom and a kernel place it any where on your sdcard boot into recovery and select install zip from sdcard browse to where your zip is and install it and like i said make sure to wipe and also ALWAYS do a nandroid so you have something to fall back on if something goes wrong.

Shiodooru

Reaction score
I find that CMW 3 does not always do a good wipe with just a factory reset. My suggestion is to do a full nandroid backup and then go to Mounts and Storage and format boot, system, data, and cache from there instead.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
True I actually wipe my system 3 times and cache 2 before installing a new rom lol just to make sure it wipes everything and also just a habit now when I'm in recovery I automatically wipe 3 times on system and 2 on cache it's weird sometimes lol guess I've been flashing too much lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Shiodooru

Reaction score
Doing it from storage and mounts should be all you need. Any wipes after that don't do much except put your paranoia at ease.

Sent from my Droid Incredible

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Eh it's just been my method I've been doing this stuff for a while lol flashed my own rom sourcery about 78748393 times lots of broken builds ha but it's just been so long with this stuff that it's hardwired in now to wipe 3 times the system and twice the cache never had any problems

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
I am now trying to install Incredibly Re Engineered v2.3 but it won't install. I did a factory reset and cleared the caches. Clockworkmodrecovery says :
"amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by google in android 1.5.
it was necessary to remove it when upgrading to ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery. Pleas switch to Edify scripting (update-scriptand update-binary) to create working update zip packages.
Installation aborted."

I am currently running the stock rom and clockworkmod Recovery 3.0.0.8. Do I need to use an older version of clockworkmod? If so, Incredibly re-engineered is an andriod 2.3 gingerbread system, what would happen if I used an older version to install, would I still be able to get back to my stock backup?

The ROM is named "Incredibly-Re-Engineered-v2.3-signed.zip"