Question about Google Maps

Niffa

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why on the map app it almost alwaysd gives me "current location is temporarily unavailable". It has been able to find me only once.

OP
N

Niffa

Reaction score
Hhmm, I have no idea....how do I find out. Maybe I turned it off and didn't know or mean to.

alm0614

Reaction score
under settings on google you have to enable use my location

OP
N

Niffa

Reaction score
Okay so I went under setting on my phone and found the thing that said for GPS satellite, it was checked (?) But I can't get a location even in area that I did before.

ShowTime

Reaction score
under settings on google you have to enable use my location

That has nothing to do with the GPS feature being able to find him. That only allows websites in the browser to locate you, enabling searches to find local restaurants, shops, etc.
OP, if you have GPS on (menu>settings>locations and security>use GPS satellites) then I'm not sure what the problem could be. Where are you located? I'm assuming you've tried it both inside and outside in various locations? I've never gotten this message so I'm not sure what's going on....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You definitely need to be outdoors for GPS but it should triangulate even if it can't get a GPS lock.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
You need to have Use Wireless Networks and Use GPS Satellites enabled for this feature to work everywhere. Otherwise you pretty much need to be outside or right by a window. I had the Use Wireless Networks off because I thought it would keep Wifi on but it doesn't. But I had the same problem so I was messing around with it and saw that so I turned it back on and BAM it works.
Simplified Steps:
Menu Soft Key>Settings>Location & Security> Select the first two options ( Use Wireless Networks and Use GPS Satellites)

Wagner :motdroidvert:

OP
N

Niffa

Reaction score
I got it, I got it! Thanks guys I had the GPS selected but not wireless network. Thanks guys!

OP
N

Niffa

Reaction score
Wait nope, I was wrong! Well now I can get a location but its wrong! It has me out in the water! Any way to recalibrate it or anything?

allikanbe

Reaction score
Wait nope, I was wrong! Well now I can get a location but its wrong! It has me out in the water! Any way to recalibrate it or anything?

No, you are going to have to get in the water. There is a free app called GPSTest that you can download. It shows how many satellites are in view and you are connected to. Once in a while my location is off by a small distance and usually the sats are not in view. Other times, my location is inside my living room and it moves as I go from room to room. freaky.

KevinJ

Reaction score
The only time I am "off" in location is if I have the "Use Wireless Networks" on. Last time I tried it with both WN and GPS it located me 3 miles from where I actually was.

So after that I never have it turned on, and my GPS accuracy is 6 ft many times.