Google maps/navigation question

Iowaberg

Reaction score
My wife has a Garmin and one thing I love about it over the Google maps/navignation is the ability to view your current location using first person mode WITHOUT necessarily giving it a place you want to go. It seems the only way to view your current location without assigning an end point, is in third person view. Or am I missing something? Also, while in third person ‘View Map’ mode, my Droid goes into sleep mode and the screen goes black after a couple of minutes because of the power saving setting. Anyway to prevent it from going to sleep mode while in ‘View Map’ mode?

Thanks!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
There is no way to put it in the follow me or first person mode. What I do is navigate to any location and mute the voice. Not perfect, but better than nothing. I would expect this to be in a future upgrade.

Last edited:

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I'm not sure I get what ur asking but when I go to my gmaps and just click on my location and have the gps on the arrow follows me where ever I'm moving is that what u mean?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, you're not missing anything. That's just the way Google Maps/Nav is at the moment. There are apps to keep the screen from locking but I don't have links off the to of my head.

I'm not sure I get what ur asking but when I go to my gmaps and just click on my location and have the gps on the arrow follows me where ever I'm moving is that what u mean?
He's referring to a 3D follow me mode. It's like what you see during navigation only without directions/voice prompts. It's frequently mentioned around here.

Last edited:

clydej

Reaction score
I also hope that we will see an upgrade of the Google Maps application. I am sure they have the technology to implement a function like this. I am also sure that they have already got a lot of requests for new features. Let's all hope that they're working on updates or a new version and it will come out soon. I don't want to be demanding but hey, that would really be a nice improvement of the app!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
There have been fairly regular updates to the map program with some nice new features. I hope is continues.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic (sorry), but there is talk about Google treading on thin (legal) ice by integrating too many enhancements in their navigation app when it's so tightly integrated with the android o/s. That, after all, is what got Microsoft into trouble with IE bundled into Windows. I suspect that various GPS vendors are already consulting with their lawyers about the implications for anti-trust violations.

Xpain

Reaction score
Get Google Earth, turn GPS on, tilt view to an angle of your choice and voila... That's what I was doing until I deleted it from my Droid (HUGE file).