Google maps/GPS question

Reaction score
I have a question regarding Maps. When I turn on google maps on my phone and the wifes it shows us at different locations actually a few blocks different. Also hers shows a blue circle around her location while minee does not.

Any ideas why?

Baconstrip

Reaction score
That means her phone is not getting a good signal from the GPS for whatever reason. The big blue circle means that your location could be anywhere inside that circle.

OP
W
Reaction score
Isn't it strange for her to get a different signal when I am holding both phones in my hand at the same time?

OP
W
Reaction score
Also go into menu and hit My Location again. It should center your current coordinates on the map.

I tried that yesterday on my wifes phone and it did not change the location.

I will check the GPS box when I go home to see if that makes a difference.

bots

Reaction score
The phone with the blue ring around your location in maps is being located using cell tower info instead of GPS. The blue ring is sort of an error quotient, telling you that your location is only accurate to 1000 meters or 10 meters or whatever depending on tower coverage. Go into settings, location and security, and change my location to use GPS satellites instead of wireless networks. Problem solved.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
It can take several hours of clear view of the sky to get a GPS fix the first time. After the Droid knows it's exact location things should be faster. At least that is the way the Garmin GPS works and is explained in the manual.

OP
W
Reaction score
The phone with the blue ring around your location in maps is being located using cell tower info instead of GPS. The blue ring is sort of an error quotient, telling you that your location is only accurate to 1000 meters or 10 meters or whatever depending on tower coverage. Go into settings, location and security, and change my location to use GPS satellites instead of wireless networks. Problem solved.

Thank you I will try that tonight