Qi and the Sony CP-W5

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hi all... Just upgraded to the Turbo from the Razr M. I loved the Razr's size but performance was starting to bother me.

Less than a day in and the Turbo seems like it will be a great phone for me. I got a credit from Verizon for the Razr so I got the Sony CP-W5 Qi charger/external battery. Seems like a good idea but I've had no luck with the Qi charging aspect. I activate on the Sony, place the Turbo on and they recognize each other for about 2 seconds. Is Qi so sensitive that it needs to be lined up just right or is the Sony just a bad Qi charger?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Congrats.. Enjoy your new toy..

OP
Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I know you got a deal on the Sony, but if it is finicky take it back and get one of these: TYLT VU Wireless Charger . I love mine and all you do is sit it on the stand and not worry about it.

Thanks, I think I will. I was initially sold on the external battery aspect but with this battery life and other external batteries I'm not sure I need it for that.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I bet your Sony is fine. Did the Sony come with a plug for the charger? Let me guess. It did not and you are using an old one from one of your phones? I had a siumilar issue with my (much cheaper then Tylt) charger.
Amazon.com Tmvel T2 Wireless Charger Charging Mount Cradle Stand for Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets LG G3 Nexus 5 Samsung iPhone - Retail Packaging - Black Cell Phones Accessories

It didn't come with a wall plug, so I used an old one I had. Didn't work. Exactly like you said "Connected...disconnected..."
I was so bummed. Then I read the Q&A on Amazon and someone said "Make sure you are using a 2AMP wall plug". I checked mine...it was a 1.1 or something. Found a 2.5 and VOILA! Success. And cheaper then that overpriced Tylt. ;) The Tylt tilts too much, imo.

OP
Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I bet your Sony is fine. Did the Sony come with a plug for the charger? Let me guess. It did not and you are using an old one from one of your phones? I had a siumilar issue with my (much cheaper then Tylt) charger.
Amazon.com Tmvel T2 Wireless Charger Charging Mount Cradle Stand for Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets LG G3 Nexus 5 Samsung iPhone - Retail Packaging - Black Cell Phones Accessories

It didn't come with a wall plug, so I used an old one I had. Didn't work. Exactly like you said "Connected...disconnected..."
I was so bummed. Then I read the Q&A on Amazon and someone said "Make sure you are using a 2AMP wall plug". I checked mine...it was a 1.1 or something. Found a 2.5 and VOILA! Success. And cheaper then that overpriced Tylt. ;) The Tylt tilts too much, imo.

I'll check but yes I used the cable/plug from my Razr M. I'll try the one that came with the Turbo and see if it makes a difference.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The Input Voltage on your Sony says .5 - 1.5. I'm guessing the .5 is enough for a direct charge, but it NEEDS the 1.5 for Qi...
Happy to help!

OP
Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
OK, so the voltage ended up working out. I at least got a steady blue light from the Sony but charging was still really hard to pull off. I ended up exchanging for the Qi stand. Working like a charm and will really work well for me at night.

Thanks for all of the help!

ferret57

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Twitter
ferretfuzzies
Found out the cheap chargers (like on ebay) don't work worth a crap. Even Verizons plate charger. Found out those cheapies and Verizons plate are one coil. So got Verizons Cradle (3 coil) and works like a charm.