Bad Battery - CompoundTurbo Charging! - Video Included - Please Follow

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Turbo' started by HiddenTalent, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent Member

Ratings:
    +5
    All,

Video:

This morning I took the phone off of my CHOE Stadium 3 coil Qi charger when my alarm went off. I was able to snooze my alarm twice. I didn't get woke up a third time. My phone was off. I pressed the power button but got a battery with an exclamation point inside of it. I tossed it on the Qi charger while I took a shower and came back to a 99% battery. About 3 hours later it said I had zero battery and turned itself off again. I plugged it in via USB to my work laptop and it powered right up. It reported 0 battery for about 20 minutes on that power source. The phone seemed to function fine while it was on the tether. I had it off for about 3 more hours before the same thing happened again. I left it in this state and took it to my local Verizon store where I was informed they could only order me a new phone. They could not replace it with a new unit. They also suggested I back up my data if possible and do a factory reset. The CSR did agree that she would want a brand new unit if she was in my shoes (what customer wouldn't?), and suggested I contact customer support directly.

I came home and made this video real quick. It is about 8 minutes long. I explained some of the phone's behavior in this state. I also witnessed it for the first time increasing in battery from "dead" then 10% and increasing about 1% every 20-30 seconds. Once powered back on, the phone showed 43% and two minutes later displayed 37%.

I'm currently pulling all of my personal data and will try a FDR.

On a side note, this same phone displayed some very odd behavior this past weekend. I accidentally power cycled it. When it booted back up the time was 3 hours behind. 4G was connected and I could browse Facebook using the app. I could not however, open my websites in the browser. I could not send or receive text messages. I tried to access Google Play and was prompted that I needed to have mobile data enabled ("Press here to enable."). The setting for mobile data was on, but I was still prompted it wasn't. I posted a thread about that here and was educated that the SIM card is hidden behind the volume rocker. I pulled it while the phone was on, and replaced it. Time was still off and same behavior. I power cycled the phone again with no luck. I pulled the SIM again, power cycled, and upon reboot put SIM back in... no luck. I left the phone on and began driving. The moment I got far enough to change towers, the phone corrected itself and I haven't had an issue with connectivity since.

I'll continue to post as I progress. I apologize for the length of the video as well as all of my "ums". Hopefully some of you auto enthusiasts got my turbo reference in the title.

2. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    Definitely sounds like a dead or dying battery that is just throwing the software in for wild ride. Other than that, it could be very bad connections that me be coming from inside the phone and the software just doesn't know what to do and freaks out. Go ahead and do the FDR like you started and that will narrow it down. I'm leaning more toward hardware only because that's Time Travelling is usually the start of hardware issues. I couldn't tell you how many times I got calls where the logic board goes out of wack and the first symptom was always: Time is going back by hours at a time even after a FDR.

Other than that it's your hardware replacement options will be your best bet. You seem to know what you're doing so keep at it.

3. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you for the encouragement. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    It's not fun to deal with such disappointment but I can assure you that what you're experiencing is extremely unique and sounds like a lemon phone. If you're within the 14 day Worry Free guarantee period I'd get that replaced immediately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#4 FoxKat, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I got it launch day unfortunately... I'm going to try to talk to customer service about grace period.

6. thunderbolt_nick

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    I know. It is no fun. That is honestly what I would do as well. After all, it isn't your fault the hardware is malfunctioning.

7. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm on the phone as we speak... on hold of course. I just did a factory reset, same issue. The decrease in battery is getting faster and faster... :\ I recorded a second video of that process...

8. thunderbolt_nick

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    Oi...

Yeah that is definitely a bad battery. Is the time still acting weird too?

9. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Day 3....battery is 50% and 16 hours off the charger. Moderate use day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    This has been reported alot with that phone. Also when doing the charging with a car charger. It seems the Qi charging and the car charging wreak havoc on some Turbo's battery stats.

11. Mike.757

Mike.757 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +488
    This is why I am a fan of removable batteries. You replace the battery and keep your brand new phone. When the battery is non-removable, you send it in on a warranty claim and receive a refurb to replace it. I don't understand why Moto went that way...

• Like Like x 4
  12. 24c

24c Senior Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Current Phone Model:
    DROID TURBO
    My 1st thought is to agree with you on the replaceable battery. My 2nd thought is of all the people messing up their phones trying to change the battery, and we know this would happen.
    I would like to see a plan in place where you could take the phone to a VZW store, within the warranty period, and get a new one then and there. Let the store handle the returns, their failed phone, their responsibility.
    Once again I keep returning to my opinion that most communication companies treat their customers poorly, very poorly.

• Like Like x 3
Search tags for this page

droid turbo bad battery symptoms