Bad Battery - CompoundTurbo Charging! - Video Included - Please Follow

HiddenTalent

Reaction score
All,

Video:
This morning I took the phone off of my CHOE Stadium 3 coil Qi charger when my alarm went off. I was able to snooze my alarm twice. I didn't get woke up a third time. My phone was off. I pressed the power button but got a battery with an exclamation point inside of it. I tossed it on the Qi charger while I took a shower and came back to a 99% battery. About 3 hours later it said I had zero battery and turned itself off again. I plugged it in via USB to my work laptop and it powered right up. It reported 0 battery for about 20 minutes on that power source. The phone seemed to function fine while it was on the tether. I had it off for about 3 more hours before the same thing happened again. I left it in this state and took it to my local Verizon store where I was informed they could only order me a new phone. They could not replace it with a new unit. They also suggested I back up my data if possible and do a factory reset. The CSR did agree that she would want a brand new unit if she was in my shoes (what customer wouldn't?), and suggested I contact customer support directly.

I came home and made this video real quick. It is about 8 minutes long. I explained some of the phone's behavior in this state. I also witnessed it for the first time increasing in battery from "dead" then 10% and increasing about 1% every 20-30 seconds. Once powered back on, the phone showed 43% and two minutes later displayed 37%.

I'm currently pulling all of my personal data and will try a FDR.

On a side note, this same phone displayed some very odd behavior this past weekend. I accidentally power cycled it. When it booted back up the time was 3 hours behind. 4G was connected and I could browse Facebook using the app. I could not however, open my websites in the browser. I could not send or receive text messages. I tried to access Google Play and was prompted that I needed to have mobile data enabled ("Press here to enable."). The setting for mobile data was on, but I was still prompted it wasn't. I posted a thread about that here and was educated that the SIM card is hidden behind the volume rocker. I pulled it while the phone was on, and replaced it. Time was still off and same behavior. I power cycled the phone again with no luck. I pulled the SIM again, power cycled, and upon reboot put SIM back in... no luck. I left the phone on and began driving. The moment I got far enough to change towers, the phone corrected itself and I haven't had an issue with connectivity since.

I'll continue to post as I progress. I apologize for the length of the video as well as all of my "ums". Hopefully some of you auto enthusiasts got my turbo reference in the title.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Definitely sounds like a dead or dying battery that is just throwing the software in for wild ride. Other than that, it could be very bad connections that me be coming from inside the phone and the software just doesn't know what to do and freaks out. Go ahead and do the FDR like you started and that will narrow it down. I'm leaning more toward hardware only because that's Time Travelling is usually the start of hardware issues. I couldn't tell you how many times I got calls where the logic board goes out of wack and the first symptom was always: Time is going back by hours at a time even after a FDR.

Other than that it's your hardware replacement options will be your best bet. You seem to know what you're doing so keep at it.

OP
H

HiddenTalent

Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm pretty disappointed right now.
It's not fun to deal with such disappointment but I can assure you that what you're experiencing is extremely unique and sounds like a lemon phone. If you're within the 14 day Worry Free guarantee period I'd get that replaced immediately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
H

HiddenTalent

Reaction score
I got it launch day unfortunately... I'm going to try to talk to customer service about grace period.

OP
H

HiddenTalent

Reaction score
I know. It is no fun. That is honestly what I would do as well. After all, it isn't your fault the hardware is malfunctioning.

I'm on the phone as we speak... on hold of course. I just did a factory reset, same issue. The decrease in battery is getting faster and faster... :\ I recorded a second video of that process...

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I'm on the phone as we speak... on hold of course. I just did a factory reset, same issue. The decrease in battery is getting faster and faster... :\ I recorded a second video of that process...
Oi...

Yeah that is definitely a bad battery. Is the time still acting weird too?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This has been reported alot with that phone. Also when doing the charging with a car charger. It seems the Qi charging and the car charging wreak havoc on some Turbo's battery stats.

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
This is why I am a fan of removable batteries. You replace the battery and keep your brand new phone. When the battery is non-removable, you send it in on a warranty claim and receive a refurb to replace it. I don't understand why Moto went that way...

My 1st thought is to agree with you on the replaceable battery. My 2nd thought is of all the people messing up their phones trying to change the battery, and we know this would happen.
I would like to see a plan in place where you could take the phone to a VZW store, within the warranty period, and get a new one then and there. Let the store handle the returns, their failed phone, their responsibility.
Once again I keep returning to my opinion that most communication companies treat their customers poorly, very poorly.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Very true. They always seem so suspect when you try to swap out a phone.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Wait, if something is wrong with the phone during the return period, they give you get a refurbished phone as a replacement?
How is that right, or even legal?
You paid for a new phone. You need to get a new phone as a replacement...especially when they charge you $35 to swap it out (assuming they charge the $35 restocking fee with defective phones) ...I've never had to do that...knock on wood.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Wait, if something is wrong with the phone during the return period, they give you get a refurbished phone as a replacement?
How is that right, or even legal?
You paid for a new phone. You need to get a new phone as a replacement...especially when they charge you $35 to swap it out (assuming they charge the $35 restocking fee with defective phones) ...I've never had to do that...knock on wood.

I'm not sure if it is especially if it is reported. Apple has a similar return policy but you have to go to the original point of sale. As long as you called and reported it and they have record of it, you should still be able to return it in accordance to the return policy (14 days with most carriers). Personally, I always have to yell at a manager or two before they agree with me and just replace the device. Luckily I've only had to do that once with phone but with tablets carriers tend to be stingy for whatever reason. Again, that is just my experience though.