Proximity Sensor HELP!!

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I've been on the phone this morning dealing with touchtone menus where I'd have to "press 1", put the phone back to my face to hear further instructions, "press2", and repeat...

Well I found that when I kept putting the phone back up to my face, I WAS PRESSING KEYS!! I CANT GET THE PROXIMITY SENSOR TO SHUT THE SCREEN OFF WHEN ITS AGAINST MY FACE!!! I'm noticing it now because Ive never had to extensively use touchtone menus, and everytime I press an invalid selection, IT HANGS UP AND I HAVE TO CALL BACK! You can't imagine how upset/annoyed I am right now!

I tried standing in front of a mirror and adjusting how I held the phone to get the sensor to work, and the only position that worked was about an inch AWAY from my face. If I kept it hovering over my face, the screen would stay off, but the second I pressed it up against my face, the screen would COME BACK ON.

So... is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? Does it have anything to do with my long hair covering my face/ear? PLEASE HELP!! :)

Thanks guys!

calicocal

Reaction score
I know that some some people had problems if there was hair in between the sensor and the phone. If you have long hair make sure that you put the phone under your hair and not on top of it. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I know that some some people had problems if there was hair in between the sensor and the phone. If you have long hair make sure that you put the phone under your hair and not on top of it. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it.

The only weird thing is that it will work an inch AWAY from my face, so definitely hair is in the way. I just dont understand, I'm ready to get a new droid, this is just ridiculous.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The only weird thing is that it will work an inch AWAY from my face, so definitely hair is in the way. I just dont understand, I'm ready to get a new droid, this is just ridiculous.

I can say this, you're not the first to complain about it. I've seen it happen a little bit too. Happened to me last night when I was getting a voice mail. But it didn't stay off it was definitely black longer then it should have been.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Yeah, people seem to easily misinterpret my threads.... If I wanted to know how to get AROUND this problem instead of SOLVING it, thats what I would have asked... I already know I could just use speakerphone, which is why I didnt ask for a way to get around it, i know already. I dont however know a SOLUTION. Which is what i asked for. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

I'm assuming you have long hair? If yes, it does interfere with the proximity sensor.

There is a thread buried somewhere on these forums about the hair/proximity sensor issue

Wraith

Reaction score
why not use the speaker?

I 2nd that.

Sheesh, some people want to have their cake and eat it too....j./k :)

With every activity in life (games, work, eating choice, etc.) there is a give and take. You get something on one hand and you lose something on the other.

While it DOES seem like there could be a "delay" in touch sensitivity activation in going from the horizontal to vertical mode, you WOULD have some complaining about that too (people trying to touch the keypad as the move their phones).

Ahh well.....I say learn to use what you are given, if you can deal with the change.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I can say this, you're not the first to complain about it. I've seen it happen a little bit too. Happened to me last night when I was getting a voice mail. But it didn't stay off it was definitely black longer then it should have been.

And I think thats a different problem? Im not having a problem with the screen staying black? My problem is, when I hold the phone up to my face, it DOESNT go black, it stays active and i press keys accidentally. Quite annoying, any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

jeebuss1

Reaction score
Mine does this also and I have no hair. It's definitely a problem with the proximity sensor.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

And I think thats a different problem? Im not having a problem with the screen staying black? My problem is, when I hold the phone up to my face, it DOESNT go black, it stays active and i press keys accidentally. Quite annoying, any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

I'm sorry. I misread your OP I thought you were saying the opposite. Now that, I haven't heard of. Up until now.

Have you let someone else try using the phone and see if they have an issue with it? Just to see if it's the way you're holding the phone or something of that nature?

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
why not use the speaker?

I 2nd that.

Sheesh, some people want to have their cake and eat it too....j./k :)

With every activity in life (games, work, eating choice, etc.) there is a give and take. You get something on one hand and you lose something on the other.

While it DOES seem like there could be a "delay" in touch sensitivity activation in going from the horizontal to vertical mode, you WOULD have some complaining about that too (people trying to touch the keypad as the move their phones).

Ahh well.....I say learn to use what you are given, if you can deal with the change.

I really hope this isn't a serious comment... You really consider having the phone not press keys while against your face too much to ask? And I should just use speakerphone for all my calls? Like, this just cannont be serious... and could people please REFRAIN from posting such comments, I'm already quite annoyed by the main problem as it is.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have long hair? If yes, it does interfere with the proximity sensor.

There is a thread buried somewhere on these forums about the hair/proximity sensor issue

But still, if the hair in the way was the problem, then why would it work an inch away from my face?

Face-> hair-> phone FAIL

Face-> hair-> inch of space-> phone WIN

AND

So people think its definitely a problem with the proximity sensor? Would it be worth me getting a new droid to see if it works?