Proximity sensor is killing me

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
So for whatever reason my proximity sensor hasn't been working correctly any time i make a phone call. I will answer the call and notice that the screen turns off but then it will come back on a few seconds later and act as if i didn't have the phone next to my face and press buttons. Other times it will lock the screen after I start a phone call so I will have to put my password to hang up on someone and other times it will mute the conversation or put the conversation on speaker phone but then the screen wont recognize any touch inputs until I press the power button to turn off the screen and then again to turn it back on and turn the speaker phone and mute off. Sorry if this is confusing, It's just extremely frustrating. It seems like more of a software issue since the proximity sensor will work just fine when i put my finger to it. It also doesn't matter the position my phone is in. I used to think it could have something to do with the sensor being in a hollow part of my ear but even if the sensor is to my cheek it will do it. I'm running all stock on MR2 although it has been doing this since MR1 and maybe even before that.

Last edited:

dzone67

Reaction score
Same happens to me, try talking with just the mic part of the phone making contact with you while the screen isn't. That helps me.

Loud roared the dreadful Thunder!!!!!

OP
J

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
Yea, I've thought about that too but I would love the be able to use this phone as... well you know, a phone. I just didn't know if this was a common issue or not and if there was a solution.

dzone67

Reaction score
Yea, I've thought about that too but I would love the be able to use this phone as... well you know, a phone. I just didn't know if this was a common issue or not and if there was a solution.
I don't think it's a proximity sensor issue though. I think it's the fact that if the screen touches you it turns on. (Not to sure).

Loud roared the dreadful Thunder!!!!!

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
download phonetester from the market and you can see if it is your proximety sensor.

If it is then its covered under warrenty.

Mine doesn't turn on when it touches my face. I take with it in my shoulder pressed against my cheek all the time.

zertsman

Reaction score
If you have a screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover it up. Have a friend who had to cut a notch in his protector.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

badmeat

Reaction score
The problem is dust collects on the proximity sensor. It gets on it through the small slot between the screen and the phone. Blow into it really hard or use some canned air.

I had the same problem and this has fixed it every time. I almost sent back my 1st thunderbolt bc I thought it was messed up. There's another HTC device that has the same flaw.

EDIT:
Here's the link to my thread about it. Several people found that it fixes it.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...42050-thunderbolt-proximity-sensor-issue.html

Last edited:

TyrantII

Reaction score
My sensor just went on the firtz as well on my OG droid. Found that this program helped: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.itsme4ucz.screenoff&feature=search_result In advanced settings, change the screen off function from "Proximity" sensor to "light sensor". Might even be able to fully disable it / or use the light sensor to your liking. Sort of unfortunate that we have to rely on this running in the BG to stop the sensor though.