Programmable calculator

ldimick

Reaction score
I am looking for a programmable calculator that allows a formula to be stored for later, repetitive use. I want to be able to create 3 variables, enter their values, and have a calculation generated. I could use a spreadhseet but that seems a bit much. Any ideas or recommendations?

The idea is:
Enter A
Enter B
Enter C
Solve for D based upon the contents of A, B and C. The formula for D does not change.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
pretty niche request, spreadsheet is likely your only solution short of commissioning a custom app.

zegwin

Reaction score
pretty niche request, spreadsheet is likely your only solution short of commissioning a custom app.
Not really... Any high school or college student would find this handy. Pretty much he is looking for a graphing calculator app.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
Yeah only I really don't need the sophistication of a graph.

Droidnought

Reaction score
If you can program an HP 48 there is a free emulator available from the Market - Droid48 - that is a port of the X48 project. www.hpcalc.org has information on programming the 48.

Wally

mich9385

Reaction score
I am looking for a programmable calculator that allows a formula to be stored for later, repetitive use. I want to be able to create 3 variables, enter their values, and have a calculation generated. I could use a spreadhseet but that seems a bit much. Any ideas or recommendations?

The idea is:
Enter A
Enter B
Enter C
Solve for D based upon the contents of A, B and C. The formula for D does not change.

It seems like the app handyCalc might be what you're looking for. It's free in the market.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
Mich9385 that is sort of what I ended up with. I made up a spreadsheet with Google Docs and I will try that out.

It is such a particular app that I may try to develop it 'in my free time'. :icon_eek:

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
I'd probably go the spreadsheet route if it was me. I haven't tried an android spreadsheet yet but I would think you could shrink the window down to just a few cells (your numbers plus labels indicating which is which). It might be fun to customize it on the droid and when you're done instead of learning how to use a niche product you'll have learned how to use how to use a multi-purpose tool that will help you again and again.

In fact I'm off to try a spreadsheet. :)

Er, um, I've downloaded something called Spreadsheet Lite and imho it's not ready for prime time and there doesn't seem to be much else out there that's free. Boy those programmable calculator apps are looking better and better. :)

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Reaction score
The hp48 program is pretty solid, if you have experience with HP and RPN. The other option as suggested is XLS (Excel). I just tried my Docs to Go pay advanced version, and you can indeed create a new xls spreadsheet on the phone. I did not try any way advanced funtions, but in the menu drop down for insert functions there is a pretty long list. It did seem to support that which you can do in a full xls spreadsheet. The other nice feature about Docs to Go is that you could theoretically create the spreadsheet on your computer, and copy or e-mail to the phone for storage and use.

Craig

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
I'd probably go the spreadsheet route if it was me. I haven't tried an android spreadsheet yet but I would think you could shrink the window down to just a few cells (your numbers plus labels indicating which is which). It might be fun to customize it on the droid and when you're done instead of learning how to use a niche product you'll have learned how to use how to use a multi-purpose tool that will help you again and again.

In fact I'm off to try a spreadsheet. :)

Er, um, I've downloaded something called Spreadsheet Lite and imho it's not ready for prime time and there doesn't seem to be much else out there that's free. Boy those programmable calculator apps are looking better and better. :)

LOL! Exactly!

Spreadsheet Lite was a major disappointment.