Problems with Voice Dial

labyrinth

Reaction score
I have a strange problem... if I access the voice search by press-holding the magnifying glass button, the 'call' command doesn't work--it goes straight to google search. In fact, only 'navigage to' seems to work this way. Everything had been working up to now.

However, if I go to 'car home' or access voice search by going into the apps panel and pressing the 'voice search' icon, the 'call' command and other voice commands work great.

This is a definite annoyance since I love being able to press-hold the magnifying glass to call people easily.

droidrocks27

Reaction score
I have a strange problem... if I access the voice search by press-holding the magnifying glass button, the 'call' command doesn't work--it goes straight to google search. In fact, only 'navigage to' seems to work this way. Everything had been working up to now.

However, if I go to 'car home' or access voice search by going into the apps panel and pressing the 'voice search' icon, the 'call' command and other voice commands work great.

This is a definite annoyance since I love being able to press-hold the magnifying glass to call people easily.

I have the EXACT same problem. I checked my search settings, did a battery pull... can't seem to fix it. Randomly, it just stopped working a few days ago. Like cold turkey. It recognizes that I'm saying "Call Mom" but it's just doing a google search for "Call Mom". Dial command isn't working either. Any help would be greatly appreciated..... I like the voice dialing because I use it while driving.

Bmr23

Reaction score
Same problem, suggested fix didn't work

I have the exact same problem and have been trying different forums for a few weeks with no resolution. It worked fine when I first got my phone, I would hold down the magnifying glass, say "call John Smith", and bingo his number would come up and I could easily dial while driving. Now it just does a Google search, but not my contacts? I tried the suggestion of going to Menu>Settings>Search>Searchable Items and "Contacts" was checked already. I even unchecked "Browser" and left just "Contacts" checked and it STILL won't work. VERY irritating to try and dial while driving.
Should I try taking my phone back to verizon?

cmgoodin

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and have been trying different forums for a few weeks with no resolution. It worked fine when I first got my phone, I would hold down the magnifying glass, say "call John Smith", and bingo his number would come up and I could easily dial while driving. Now it just does a Google search, but not my contacts? I tried the suggestion of going to Menu>Settings>Search>Searchable Items and "Contacts" was checked already. I even unchecked "Browser" and left just "Contacts" checked and it STILL won't work. VERY irritating to try and dial while driving.
Should I try taking my phone back to verizon?

I am having exactly the same problem. Tried all the suggestions.
Changed contacts to My Contacts, Set search to Contacts, even disabled Browser under searchable items. Still it just does a google search when I use the Voice Search function from the Home menu. Will not search contacts. This used to work. Did some application that I installed somehow disable this? Has anyone found the answer to this problem that works?

moonatics

Reaction score
Same problem for me. I can't get voice search to call anyone. I just get a google web search that doesn't even match the words I say. Very frustrating!

carpediem14

Reaction score
Same Search Soft Key problem

I too am having the same issue. I watched some Droid videos before I got my Incredible and was excited to have one button to basically operate my phone. Now it only Google Searches and oddly enough works when I say "navigate to ___"

I talked to some of the guys at a Verizon store who have Motorola Droids and would only recently have been updated to 2.1 so they weren't familiar with that and only recently familiar with Voice Search in the first place.

I have my settings set for searchable items and ironically have Internet turned off and yet it still searches Google before anything else.

This would be a HUGE deal if I could have this feature so anybody with information would be greatly appreciated!

WolfmansBrutha

Reaction score
Any update?

Has there been any update on this issue? I lost the ability to voice dial4-5 days ago, and I've tried everything to troubleshoot it with no luck.

I don't even know whose tech support I should try calling, as I expect Verizon will blame Google or Motorola, and vice versa. I'm getting so frustrated with this phone, and am feeling worse and worse about this two year contract I've got.