Problems with Voice Dial

JayMK

Reaction score
I have 3000 contacts in my address book. Prior to 12/11/09 update of the phone, I was able to press Voice Dial and find my contacts most of the time. After the update, Voice Dial simply stopped working correctly. I now get error messages such as "Try Again" or the software simply doesn't "hear" the name correctly and offers me the wrong name. Virtually no calls are going through correctly.

I did a complete reinstall of all software but the problem remains.

Does anyone know if Google is aware of this issue and whether they are working on a fix? Please don't anyone tell me I am the only one with this problem:)

OP
J

JayMK

Reaction score
Thank you

I suppose there is small comfort in seeing that others are having the same problems but I don't see any comments from Google to the effect: "We understand the issues and expect to have a permanent fix by x date."

But, for those who think an iPhone on AT&T network is the answer, I bought an iPhone yesterday morning and returned it by last night when I discovered that in the Scottsdale, AZ area AT&T's coverage was so spotty that I could not make calls from my house (a supposedly Good 3G area) and the AT&T GPS app could not keep track of my car even as I drove on major roads. At least the Motorola Droid's GPS worked great - thank you Verizon!

Odd that even Verizon tech support has no idea whatsoever as to what Google may be doing to get hands free Bluetooth dialing or the Voice Dial app to work. Users will accept issues and wait for fixes but we need communication and assurance, neither of which has been offered.

jab48220

Reaction score
Droid voice dial

I have 3000 contacts in my address book. Prior to 12/11/09 update of the phone, I was able to press Voice Dial and find my contacts most of the time. After the update, Voice Dial simply stopped working correctly. I now get error messages such as "Try Again" or the software simply doesn't "hear" the name correctly and offers me the wrong name. Virtually no calls are going through correctly.

I did a complete reinstall of all software but the problem remains.

Does anyone know if Google is aware of this issue and whether they are working on a fix? Please don't anyone tell me I am the only one with this problem:)

Since the 12/11/09 fix I have major problems with voice dial I say the persons name and will not come up with mobile number. Sometimes it works. I have that person in there with home # mobile # work # I can't be the only one with this issue I hope.:mad:

mortee

Reaction score
they told me it does not dial number just displays them .all my other phone you just spoke contacts name and it would dial it

rjax

Reaction score
You might want to give the voice search a try (i.e. long press on the magnifying glass/search soft key...) I've found that to work better than the actual voice dialer. Also, voice search will go ahead and call the person without you having to do anything else, assuming it got the right person.

gentlefury

Reaction score
I have found the voice dialer to be horrible....voice search with the call prefix however is GREAT!

Just make sure your contacts are labeled first and last name.

If I need to voice dial bob smith, I say call bob smith mobile you hear a little speed dial sound and it calls.

OP
J

JayMK

Reaction score
Voice search versus voice dial

When I use Voice Search, the search does a Google search only. By saying "Call Joe Smith," for example, Voice Search still does a Google search for something like "Cole Joe Smith."

Voice Dial does not recognize anything at this point - even something like "Dial 555...."

What are you doing to get Voice Search to find a contact and make a call?

rjax

Reaction score
Do you know what category your contacts are in? I think I've read somewhere that Voice Search only works for contacts who are officially listed as "My Contacts" in your Google contacts. Or maybe you need to set contacts as searchable in the search settings?

OP
J

JayMK

Reaction score
Voice dial

I know you are trying to be helpful. As far as I know, there is no other way to keep contacts in Gmail other than as My Contacts. And, there is no way to get contacts to the Droid other than to have them listed under My Contacts. So, unless you've done something special, when you search on Voice Search, the search should take you to Google, not to callable contacts.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For those of you having trouble with voice search not recognizing contacts ensure you have the settings correct for search.
Menu > Settings > Search > searchable items > make sure 'contacts' is enabled :)

OP
J

JayMK

Reaction score
Allowing Contacts Search

Adjusting Search permissions for my Motorola Droid under Settings is an available option but for my Eris Droid, there is no Search category under Settings. Perhaps I'll have to wait for upgrade to 2.x due out this month, I'm told by Verizon.

I did get an update to Eris last night but it wasn't the one to 2.x I'm waiting for.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adjusting Search permissions for my Motorola Droid under Settings is an available option but for my Eris Droid, there is no Search category under Settings. Perhaps I'll have to wait for upgrade to 2.x due out this month, I'm told by Verizon.

I did get an update to Eris last night but it wasn't the one to 2.x I'm waiting for.
Ah.... yea you will probably have to wait for the update to gain that function. Sorry....

OP
J

JayMK

Reaction score
Voice Dial and Voice Search

Thank you!

mortee

Reaction score
thanks for help.would you haoooppen to know if there is a app to answer phone with gloves on it is hard to swipe screen