Problem with App storage

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am having a weird problem that I have never seen before so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to fix it. Anytime I try to download an app from the market it says I have insufficient phone storage. Which is partially true but I have most of my apps on my Sd card and the contents of my data app folder only add up to be 80mbs but it says I am using 245mbs. I don't even have close to enough apps to eat up that space like it says I am. Anyone seen this issue before and possibly have a remedy for it.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gotta bump this, this issue is very annoying.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use an app to see what's using up your internal storage. Most people seem to overlook that fact that data for apps uses internal storage by default.

Reaction score
Have you tried to force close and clear settings on Market. It might be hosed up and need to be reset.

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I cleared dalvik cache and that freed up about 30mbs right there but I still only have about 10 apps left on the phone storage and it is using 210mbs, that seems very high to me.

ambrown

Reaction score
So I was having a problem with this sort of thing a bit ago. I had more than enough room for storage and the low disc space notification was constant. In desperation I looked for help on the HTC website and I found a forum thread saying that some native HTC apps junk up the memory cache. You just have to clear the data and it should take care of it. I found that the Facebook app seems to be one of the main culprits so I'd start there. Once you clear the data you have to sign in again but that's cake for getting your phone back. If that fails HTC recommends a factory reset but that would be last resort I'm sure.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2.2 using the DroidForums app

ambrown

Reaction score
Oh I forgot, I don't know if yours is HTC or not. But I'd still try it anyway. It's a simple solution that worked great for me.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2.2 using the DroidForums app

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gotta bring this back up cause this issue is literally driving me insane. I literally have like 6 apps left that aren't on my SD card and I am still getting low memory messages. How is this even possible? I clear dalvik cache and that solves the issue for like an hour or so but sure enough the stupid little memory icon pops back up and screams at me that I have low memory and self esteem problems. I don't understand how 6 apps are somehow consuming all of the memory available on the d1 internal storage.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Gotta bring this back up cause this issue is literally driving me insane. I literally have like 6 apps left that aren't on my SD card and I am still getting low memory messages. How is this even possible? I clear dalvik cache and that solves the issue for like an hour or so but sure enough the stupid little memory icon pops back up and screams at me that I have low memory and self esteem problems. I don't understand how 6 apps are somehow consuming all of the memory available on the d1 internal storage.
Delete the file ".android.secure" from the sdcard. Don't worry, Android will recreate this file immediately. If this doesn't solve the problem, go to Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Market/Clear Data. I've had success with both these methods on my OGD. That phone is still running strong and my wife uses it every day.

Good luck.

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you, still didn't do the trick though. I have to imagine that even after moving apps to SD card that data is left behind. There has to be apps that appear to be on the SD card but are still somehow using the phone's storage, just a complete guess though.

ambrown

Reaction score
I just posted a rant about this on another thread on "low storage". I thought I had this licked when low and behold this message reappears. And not only that it causes all my apps to crash as long as the "low storage" notification is there. I just deleted 700 MB of pictures and videos after backing up to my computer and the d*mn message is back. I'm seriously ready to throw my phone against the wall. And its enough to make me never buy an HTC phone again if this is how its going to be.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just posted a rant about this on another thread on "low storage". I thought I had this licked when low and behold this message reappears. And not only that it causes all my apps to crash as long as the "low storage" notification is there. I just deleted 700 MB of pictures and videos after backing up to my computer and the d*mn message is back. I'm seriously ready to throw my phone against the wall. And its enough to make me never buy an HTC phone again if this is how its going to be.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

yeah it is frustrating, I actually end up just deleting a bunch of apps that were supposed to be on the sd card and it freed up quite a bit of space for me. So it looks like the culprit for me was apps saying they were on the SD Card but really they were not.

REMilk

Reaction score
My research/testing has indicated that the cache used for download/installs fills quickly and is not cleared in an expedient manner. There are two ways, that I know of, to clear this cache area when you encounter it. There may be many more ways to do this.

1. Reboot the phone, that is Power the phone off, then power it back on
2. Install a cache cleaner. I think there are many of these in the App market, both for unrooted and rooted phones. I use "1-Tap Cleaner"

Good Luck,
Bob