Problem Installing Gmail Update

TigerDirect

Reaction score
I am having an issue installing the update to Gmail that was released today. It will download fine, but will then give me the notification "Installation Unsuccessful." I receive this same error when trying to install Google Search and Google Voice Search.

I have tried clearing the cache and data for the Market multiple times, but to no avail.

I'm running Froyo FRG22D on a Motorola Droid. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Mohawk3

Reaction score
I am also having issues with the new gmail app installing. I am rooted and running the shadow rom.

UPDATE: I got it to install by using root explorer to delete the gmail apk from the system folder, rebooting, and then downloading from the market.

Last edited:
OP
TigerDirect

TigerDirect

Reaction score
Yes, I'm rooted with stock FRG22B.

I'm not terribly comfortable deleting the Gmail apk, as I did this a while back to try to fix Maps, and I wound up not being able to install it at all. I eventually got Maps fixed, but I'm not sure exactly how.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm rooted. Stock all the way with FRG22B.

I'm not terribly comfortable deleting the Gmail apk, as I did this a while back to try to fix Maps, and I wound up not being able to install it at all. I eventually got Maps fixed, but I'm not sure exactly how.

you can always just rename it to gmail.apk.bak or just move it to your sdcard, or something like that - but what mohawk said should fix it

tofasttafuri

Reaction score
Yes, I'm rooted. Stock all the way with FRG22B.

First rename the gmail.apk to gmail.bak so if anything goes wrong, you still have the apk

OP
TigerDirect

TigerDirect

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give that a go. Although I had a backup of the Maps apk when I deleted it and I still couldn't reinstall...

Also, is there anything I could do about Google Search or Voice Search?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give that a go. Although I had a backup of the Maps apk when I deleted it and I still couldn't reinstall...

Also, is there anything I could do about Google Search or Voice Search?

are you having the same problems with those as well? and you're pure stock FRG22D, with root? Or are you running an already rooted FRG22D stock "rom", so to speak...

Make sure, any time you move something back into the /system/app directory, that you ensure the permissions are 644... i.e., look like this:

x x o
x o o
x o o

...then reboot

Tsusai

Reaction score
Out of curiosity why is it we have to keep doing this with system apps? Google Voice, Facebook (on some), Google Search. I've updated Google Search on non rooted, stock phones twice now, no hickups, but any source based rom has issues replacing system apps with updates from the market it looks like. I don't recall any issues like this when I was on non-source based roms (Bugless 0.4)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity why is it we have to keep doing this with system apps? Google Voice, Facebook (on some), Google Search. I've updated Google Search on non rooted, stock phones twice now, no hickups, but any source based rom has issues replacing system apps with updates from the market it looks like. I don't recall any issues like this when I was on non-source based roms (Bugless 0.4)

I believe it has to do with the fact that the source based ROMs are naming the .apk's how they are on AOSP - i.e. Gmail.apk. But somewhere between AOSP and final FRG22D, the tag "google" is getting thrown into the name of the .apk.

drew

Reaction score
I'm getting the same thing. My difference is that I WAS rooted using Universal Androot, but since the last OTA update, it removed my root access. Any ideas? I just haven't had the time / patience to root the "long way", although if it helps my cause, I surely can do that.

rikura4u

Reaction score
Ive tried "rename"/"Delete", but nothing is working, I have root but yet it tell me its a "read only" file. Any more suggestions?