Possible to run without battery?

andyroark

Reaction score
Hey all - did a search on these forums and didn't find an answer. Registered to ask:

Is it possible to run the Droid 4 without a battery installed? My battery swelled up two days ago and I pulled it out. Ordered a replacement off the internet. Over Memorial Day weekend. I'm expecting to see the battery next week, at the earliest.

In the meantime I'd like to be able to continue to use the phone. I've got the Motorola chargers and several micro USB chargers.

With the dock I get a green LED light and nothing else.

With two of my chargers the phone will "turn on" to the Motorola Splash screen and stay there.

Anyone know the super secret squirrel combination that will allow the phone to work off of AC power until I can get the new battery installed? Is it possible?

GigaJake

Reaction score
You removed a non-removable battery? Hardcore.

Someone can probably answer this better than me, but without a battery, the best way to run your D4 is with and official Motorola cable and charger on your best electrical output (don't plug it into some splitter). If you use all the official charging equipment and still can't get enough charge to fully boot, I don't know what to tell you.

Viel Glück!

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
andyroark

andyroark

Reaction score
You removed a non-removable battery? Hardcore.

Someone can probably answer this better than me, but without a battery, the best way to run your D4 is with and official Motorola cable and charger on your best electrical output (don't plug it into some splitter). If you use all the official charging equipment and still can't get enough charge to fully boot, I don't know what to tell you.

Viel Glück!

Heh. Was the battery supposed to be non-removable? My bad.

This lives on the wall over my workbench.

View attachment 63199

GigaJake

Reaction score
Haha, that's great! And yeah, someone somewhere in Motorola decided that having a non-removable battery was the next step in their DROID line.

Go figure.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes! you can make your own "factory cable" that will power almost all Motorola phones. Here is the details: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/146492-how-why-make-your-own-motorola-factory-cable.html

Its pretty cool. They also make an adapter to convert a standard usb cable into one, but since you're in a pinch you'll be wanting to make one yourself. Good luck!

Hey all - did a search on these forums and didn't find an answer. Registered to ask:

Is it possible to run the Droid 4 without a battery installed? My battery swelled up two days ago and I pulled it out. Ordered a replacement off the internet. Over Memorial Day weekend. I'm expecting to see the battery next week, at the earliest.

In the meantime I'd like to be able to continue to use the phone. I've got the Motorola chargers and several micro USB chargers.

With the dock I get a green LED light and nothing else.

With two of my chargers the phone will "turn on" to the Motorola Splash screen and stay there.

Anyone know the super secret squirrel combination that will allow the phone to work off of AC power until I can get the new battery installed? Is it possible?

OP
andyroark

andyroark

Reaction score
Yes. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I can have one of those put together in the morning.

Thank you for the quick response and clear instructions.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I can have one of those put together in the morning.

Thank you for the quick response and clear instructions.

Glad I could help. Let us know how it goes. Even post pics of you making it, could be fun.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

OP
andyroark

andyroark

Reaction score
Glad I could help. Let us know how it goes. Even post pics of you making it, could be fun.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so turns out trying to dremmel down a USB Micro cable isn't so easy. I have four dead cables, one new scar on my finger and no pictures to show for it. I'm still going to mess around with this, but I think I've found what may be a much better solution. Wanted to share:

Motorola Factory Adapters

On the plus side the new battery arrived and went in without any problems. For anyone who is interested, these instructions were invaluable in pulling the battery out correctly. Getting the new one in place was just the exact reverse.

Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - iFixit

The only thing I found incorrect in those instructions was the size of the torq bit. They are saying T-5. Mine required a T-4. I found a universal set at Home Depot that include both a T-4 and T-5 bit.

The screws are also put in place with a little bit of Loctite. It wouldn't hurt to use some when you reassemble.

I'm going to keep beating on the cable thing because I'm hard headed but I've also ordered one of the adapters. That is probably the easiest way to get it done. And cheaper. The cables alone have cost me more than ten bucks.

Thanks for the help guys!