Question mark on battery? Charging when not plugged in, huh?

kamiclone

Reaction score
So last night i thought it was pretty weird that my phone was acting up. I have my facebook contacts synced up and joined with my contacts on the phone and when i dont see profile pictures with my contacts when i'm text messaging i figure its just the silly facebook software. So i restarted the phone. Great, that fixed it, profile pictures are on and everything is cool. Except the battery symbol had a question mark "?" in it and wasnt displaying how much battery was left. Then a tiny bluish pop up comes up saying that this battery isnt a manufactured motorola battery and to replace with the battery is came with. I scratched my head because i remember reading when i got the droid 4 that you couldnt (or weren't) suppose to take out the battery. Never did. This was weird to me. So i turned off the phone and turned it back on 15 minutes later. All was good finally.
The phone gets to about 20-30% and i'm at work, so i decided to charge it. I didnt have my charger, nor was i near my car (car charger) so i borrowed my coworkers charger. It was a blackberry micro usb, but i figured all would be fine. I plugged it in and it didnt charge. I thought that was weird. So i disconnected waited a second and plugged back in. And it started to charge. By the time my shift was over, i think i disconnected it at around 80% and went home then went to bed.
I wake up and use the phone for a bit and thats when i notice that the battery symbol is showing that its charging. It wasnt even plugged in! And yet i still see the green bar getting filled with the electric bolt in it. WTF? so i decided to turn off the phone (wish they'd create a restart like HTC). Then i couldnt even turn on the phone. It made no sense at all. Plugged it into its original charger and thats when it doesnt boot up but instead shows the splash screen and proceeds to show me the big battery image....at 5% and charging. That is some weird $#!@ yeah?

Josphe72

Reaction score
I have no answer or even a clue what's going on but that is very strange indeed.

Sent from my Rezound using tapatalk 2

Cegal

Reaction score
First off, you should never use a 3rd party charger or a charger meant for another phone. The different voltages could do permanent damage to your battery. Secondly, I have the weird battery icon pop up sometimes, but mine happens when I'm downloading a big file and my phone dies. I notice I have to fiddle with it some, unplugging it, plugging back in, powering on. Not much of a hassle, but I've noticed it happens when my phone dies while it's heated up some. My guess is once the battery heats up to a certain point, it starts to fool the phone into all sorts of thing...the phantom touches, fake battery percentage. And the "not official" moto battery. Oh btw, rooted running CM9...don't know if that would make a difference as well.

OP
K

kamiclone

Reaction score
I understand that you shouldnt use a phone charger that is not the OEM, but come on, does Motorola/HTC/LG/Samsung honestly believe that we wont use any micro usb charger we happen to stumble upon, knowing that it will fark with your cell phone. That's just plain stupid. The only problems you would see is not that a charger will over charge in voltage, but if it were too low and last time i checked, most micro usb chargers run at the same voltage.
Anyway, i understand that what you said could have been a catalyst to said symptoms. However, as a status update, i have been noticing that 30%, 60% and 80% are the only amounts the phone will display the battery being at. In the settings battery manager and also after turning on from the screen being turned off. Thats it. Nothing ever in between. It seems i have to shut it down in order to charge it. It is seriously acting up crazy and i'm afraid i have to get a new one. Bought less than 4 weeks ago.

Cegal

Reaction score
I understand and truth be told I've blown 2 different wall chargers that weren't from moto. But back to the problem with your battery, that's definitely something more serious. The battery display that we're speaking of should display in increments of 5% as it's charging. You might just have a battery problem from the start. Also I noticed last night, my d4 will restart itself if it over heats. I don't know if this will help or even apply to your problem but it's something else informative.