Possible to root .173

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by polenz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. polenz

polenz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to root new ota update if you didn't have the rootkeeper app installed? I also saw an article on Droidlife that has a razr utility tool would this work for a razr?

DROID RAZR Root Tool Released, Helps You Do Whatever You Want With Your RAZR – Droid Life

If I can't root not a huge deal it was just nice to have titanium backup, I didn't do theming or roms, but it would be great if I could have the phone rooted again, I used doomlord's exploit to root previous to the ota. Thanks for the help.

2. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force / Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    smalltownlife13
    I haven't downloaded the Utility Tool yet, but last I knew the Android version 2.3.6 for the Razr was not rootable.

If you were rooted prior to the update, you could use VooDoo Root Keeper from the market to protect / restore root.

I also think that you can restore back to .748 and then root / protect with VooDoo and then reupdate and restore root.

3. polenz

polenz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so this app will work even if I've already done the update and did not have the app installed prior to updating? I was rooted prior to the update and then undid the root to get my update. I still have the su icon but obviously it does nothing.

4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,289
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Well, you will have to roll back to .748 at least, in order to root, then install VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect root, then update to .173, then restore root with OTA Rootkeeper. There is no known way to root .173 at present.

5. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Yeah I was on 748 and used VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper to make a backup of my super user info, then downloaded and installed update, then restored root with VooDoo. Now I am on .173 rooted and removed the additional bloatware this update added.