Please help. I messed up my droid!

steveomatic

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me. I upgraded to a droid x from a droid. I decided to sell my droid on craigslist so I wanted to put it back to factory settings. Somehow I bricked it. I was rooted. I formated the SD card and went into settings tried to perform a factory default. After that it went into a boot loop. It did let me go into Clockwork Recovery and tried loading update.zip from the sd card, which I downloaded from the internet and placed on the sd card after I formated it.

When trying to use update.zip through clockwork I keep getting an error message.

I did make sure that update.zip was not named .zip.zip. What can I do to fix this? how can I get update.zip to work?

Please help.

Thanks!!!:wacko:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me. I upgraded to a droid x from a droid. I decided to sell my droid on craigslist so I wanted to put it back to factory settings. Somehow I bricked it. I was rooted. I formated the SD card and went into settings tried to perform a factory default. After that it went into a boot loop. It did let me go into Clockwork Recovery and tried loading update.zip from the sd card, which I downloaded from the internet and placed on the sd card after I formated it.

When trying to use update.zip through clockwork I keep getting an error message.

I did make sure that update.zip was not named .zip.zip. What can I do to fix this? how can I get update.zip to work?

Please help.

Thanks!!!:wacko:

What is the update.zip that you downloaded? Which rom is supposed to be? What error are you getting?

OP
S

steveomatic

Reaction score
I thought I downloaded the stock 2.2. I also tried stock 2.1. Is there a certain one I should use? I don't really care which rom I have on it.

I got several error messages along the way. they changed after I cleared the cash. I believe the last one was:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I appreciate the any help.

Thanks!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought I downloaded the stock 2.2. I also tried stock 2.1. Is there a certain one I should use? I don't really care which rom I have on it.

I got several error messages along the way. they changed after I cleared the cash. I believe the last one was:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I appreciate the any help.

Thanks!

I think that status 7 error is major issue. IRCC, it means that clockwork is not reading the sdcard. But let's try the following first:

I think you should download one of the more stable roms such as Chevy's 4.8, Bugless Beast V5 or UD8 on to your computer. Do not rename the file.

Here's how to do that. (Note: It has been a while since I used these commands and I am not 100% sure of the following menu selections, but I think this is what I did) Then while in clockwork with the phone connect to pc via usb cable, go to the partitions menu and select "mount usb storage". That will let you transfer the file to the sdcard. Once that has been done, select "mount sdcard".

Then select "install zip file from Sdcard" and select your new zip file.

No if you still get the status 7 error then the next step is going to remove your sdcard and put it in the pc or a card reader and reformat it after saving all your data. Then put everything back on the sdcard and put it back in the phone. One note of caution is to be sure and not name the sdcard during reformatting.

Now try the install zip from sdcard again.

If none of the above works, it's time to do the sbf thing. I'll find you some links for that.