PLEASE HELP!!! Cannot Install Apps from Market!

fftlambert

Reaction score
As of late, I cannot install any app from the market. The app with start to download and then immediately stop without notification of reason for failure. This includes both purchased and new apps. All aspects of my phone are otherwise working well. I have tried flashing another ROM without success. Is there any that have had this issue and are there any with any idea of a solution. Thank you for any that do reply.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
Ive had this problem before. I think Its just the market cuz it happened to both me and my girlfriends Droid x like a week ago. Then it started working again a few hours later

Sent from my Fascinating Galaxy S

Haloman800

Reaction score
When you download the app, don't click it again, don't click anything. Wait and see if it completely downloads, then see what happens.

If it gets to 100% then nothing happens, click the app and it should install.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can try going into "manage applications", selecting the market and clearing cache. also try booting into recovery and wiping cache. if neither of those work, you can also go into the market app thru "manage applications" and clearing data.

OP
F

fftlambert

Reaction score
Ive had this problem before. I think Its just the market cuz it happened to both me and my girlfriends Droid x like a week ago. Then it started working again a few hours later

Sent from my Fascinating Galaxy S

This has been going on for at least 24 hours, unfortunately

you can try going into "manage applications", selecting the market and clearing cache. also try booting into recovery and wiping cache. if neither of those work, you can also go into the market app thru "manage applications" and clearing data.

I have tried both, tried a clean install...The only thing I have not tried is taking my droid back to stock, re-rooting, and trying one of the roms I have grown to enjoy using.

bje1982

Reaction score

+1
Kkkllkgfsafguhbj

sent....

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i don't think unrooting and rerooting is the answer - it may be, but i don't think so. have you tried going into the online market (http://market.android.com) and installing them that way??

if not, the only things that have worked for me are the clearing cache, force stop, wiping cache in recovery, and clearing data. sometimes it will take repeated attempts, especially if you have a weak data connection. speaking of which, have you tried dl'ing them with a wifi connection??

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

+1. I always get emails about this and it is getting frustrating. Ever time it seems to fix the users problem if they go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> Market -> click "Clear Data" and then reboot.

OP
F

fftlambert

Reaction score

+1. I always get emails about this and it is getting frustrating. Ever time it seems to fix the users problem if they go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> Market -> click "Clear Data" and then reboot.

Unfortunately for me, the proposed solution did not yield the desired results. I also tried booting into recovery and wiping my cache as well as several other combination of clearing market data and cache, then recovery and wipe cache. Wiping market data and cache after wiping cache in recovery. Not wiping cache in recovery and wiping market data, cache, reboot several times as it was inferred that it may take several times to work. Any other solutions? I am thankful for the responses and hopeful to find a solution that works.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

Unfortunately for me, the proposed solution did not yield the desired results. I also tried booting into recovery and wiping my cache as well as several other combination of clearing market data and cache, then recovery and wipe cache. Wiping market data and cache after wiping cache in recovery. Not wiping cache in recovery and wiping market data, cache, reboot several times as it was inferred that it may take several times to work. Any other solutions? I am thankful for the responses and hopeful to find a solution that works.

Yes, this has worked for me and my wife's phone. I think I can narrow it down to the SD Card, and quite possibly something in the "android_secure" folder. You can either remove the SD Card and reboot without it and download (recommended) or enable USB, copy all the files in the "android_secure" folder somewhere on your hard drive and unplug USB and then try to download again (may need to reboot prior).

Not sure why this works, but maybe one of the Android geniuses here might dig into it and see? The clear cache thing never worked for me either.

OP
F

fftlambert

Reaction score

Yes, this has worked for me and my wife's phone. I think I can narrow it down to the SD Card, and quite possibly something in the "android_secure" folder. You can either remove the SD Card and reboot without it and download (recommended) or enable USB, copy all the files in the "android_secure" folder somewhere on your hard drive and unplug USB and then try to download again (may need to reboot prior).

Not sure why this works, but maybe one of the Android geniuses here might dig into it and see? The clear cache thing never worked for me either.

Alright Fish, you are a savior. I am happy to have learned about the other potential fixes for this issue as I seem to be the one amongst my collegues on the fire department and at my other job at the college when it comes to Android related questions. I appreciate all the responses and help that was offered. I ended up backing up my SDcard, formatting, and copying back over my files. Downloading apps work again. On a side note, Fish, your comment about your wife's phone cracks me up. My wife did not want me messing with her phone so much that she boycotted the android phones and went with a terrible blackberry.

andromeda

Reaction score
Thanks fish1552

I was unable to install any applications but after clearing my Market cache as you suggested, everything is working now.

REMilk

Reaction score
I, too, began having this problem about 2 weeks ago. At the same time, I could not uninstall any apps. And when I went to "Manage Apps" many apps had the same strange icon and the file name such as "com.android.programname." Icons also began disappearing from the screens.

I have an original Droid that has been rooted for about a year and until this happened, I encountered "zero" problems.

First, I unrooted and the problem remained.
Second, I used RSD Lite to sbf flashed back to 2.01, then manually applied updates. The problem continued.
Third time, I again used RSD Lite to sbf flashed back to stock 2.01, then just waited and applied the updates from OTA (this took about 1 hour for the 4 updates).

I have had no problems for 3 days. I have not taken the step to rooting as I will upgrade to the Bionic when it comes out (hopefully around August 14th).

Kim1349

Reaction score
More info

I just got a replacement (2nd one in a week because of issues and under warranty) Druid 2. This time after reinstalling aps from the SD Card with Titanium Backup, I too am unable to download market things. I have restarted, power down/up, checked Talk, taken SD card and completed a chkdsk on my laptop, and discoved this. The files will not compute their size when I go to manage apps and look. Therefore I am unable to clear the cache because it needs the size of the file.
Now what anyone??