Planning to root and I'm scared... help please

simplyme82

Reaction score
I just got my Razr Maxx and I want to root it. I've looked at the sticky and have everything downloaded and I'm ready to go, but I have some concerns.

Is it possible for me to backup the phone as it is now so that in the event that something goes wrong, I can recover what I originally have/had.

I like the factory OS. Does the process in the sticky only give me root access, or will it change my OS also?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I just got my Razr Maxx and I want to root it. I've looked at the sticky and have everything downloaded and I'm ready to go, but I have some concerns.

Is it possible for me to backup the phone as it is now so that in the event that something goes wrong, I can recover what I originally have/had.

I like the factory OS. Does the process in the sticky only give me root access, or will it change my OS also?

Backup isn't really necessary for a brand new phone now that there is a fastboot ROM available. Also, rooting doesn't affect the OS so I believe your concerns are addressed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Just do it! Push the button! Do it! Go for it!!!!

Redbeaver

Reaction score
do it.

root doesn't do anything other than unlocking superuser access.

it's what you do AFTER you root that's dangerous ;)

ps: do NOT uninstall/freeze (but most importantly uninstall) Yahoo crap.... it'll crash ur Contacts and it's a pain to fix. first hand experience here. :p

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Well, rooting your phone voids your warranty so root at your own risk.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, rooting your phone voids your warranty so root at your own risk.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

If we weren't able to UNroot that might be a concern but unrooting is easy and there's no way for Verizon to ever know the phone was rooted to begin with. Also as said above by Redbeaver, it's what you do after rooting that needs to be handled carefully as unrooting exposes the phone's normally protected system files to possible accidental deletion, renaming or other changes which could render your phone useless (bricked).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Redbeaver

Reaction score
unroot is easy. took my noob ass through a couple forums and google searches and its good to go.

that said, would be nice to have a list of all fastboot ROM available to reset ur phone..... i have a GSM phone and the nearest one to a Canadian RAZR is a Brazilian English one lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
unroot is easy. took my noob ass through a couple forums and google searches and its good to go.

that said, would be nice to have a list of all fastboot ROM available to reset ur phone..... i have a GSM phone and the nearest one to a Canadian RAZR is a Brazilian English one lol

Damn, GSM. I don't know what Fastboot ROMs are available, but I suppose with your googling talents, you can probably find them as quickly as I. ;)