phone update trouble on droid x

Basadroid

Reaction score
Before this weekend I was still on the previous droid OS. (froyo? sorry not a droid guru) Sunday afternoon I get a pop up saying there is a software update but I hit the install later option since my phone was rooted with Z4 and I wanted to check up on it first. Monday morning I ask my wife if she has got the notice and she hadnt, told her I wanted to check forum since hers ia rooted also and we use wireless teather. Not 30 minutes later, after I had left for work, she tells me the update popped up and she installed it, I wanted to throttle her!

Well I looked on forum, another did the same thing and had to use Pete's rooting since Z4 no longer worked so I thought whay the heck I guess I will allow it also. Now my phone is complete crap! I can get no settings to open, my gallery wont open, everything has crazy long delays when using keyboard. I called Verizon and they say all I can do is a hard reset that will wipe my phone. He tells me I now have GB which did not make me happy.

As stated above I am not a droid guru and learning as I go. I have posts about different ROMs and such. Do these increase performance of the phones? Is there something I should be doing to remedy all these flaws I am having with my phone? The verizon idiot was absolutely no help and so came looking to the real experts for some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
LOL dont shoot the wife. well a hard reset probably wont get u back to original status. and yes z4 no longer works on GB. if u want to go back, u need to sbf using the new files out there. im going to move this to the DX tech section where u will get better assistance

OP
B

Basadroid

Reaction score
thanks for the help. what is the acronym sbf mean?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
its what they call a Summation Briefcase File. it basically places ur phone back to "out of the box" condition. Do u have an SPR or SPRecovery? like a back up file?

OP
B

Basadroid

Reaction score
If it was something I had to do manually then no. I guess I should got a how to. I havent even started yet and already confused. I can put together the skeletal structure of an F-35 plane from CAD but cant work my phone. How sad is that?

Relig

Reaction score
Im in the same box as this guy/wife. My update came Sunday night and I accepted :( . I only use my wireless teether at work so I didn't notice it wouldn't work till now (back at work ). Because I work long 16hr shifts I catch the wireless off my phone on my laptop so I can surf the web and play games. I would like to re-root my phone, but my #1 objective is to get my wireless teether back :( ... I previously used Z4Root as well

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
B

Basadroid

Reaction score
I backed up my important files that I want to keep. Not sure how to save contacts to be honest. I think I had seen some sort of backup app that I could get, going to search for that and see if I can do it that way.

Also, yesterday I got slammed with like 5 new automatic updates that I was not allowed to choose to install or not, including one to track data usage, not real happy about that either.

Relig

Reaction score
Track your data usage? do you not have unlimited? If they put a cap on usage im switching to someone else...period

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
B

Basadroid

Reaction score
yeah i have unlimited but it still shows how much i have used this billing cycle...