Phone turned itself "ON"

PstDroid

Reaction score
This is a nightmare; the damn thing turned itself on in my pocket at the opera the other night during a very quiet passage. It was on vibrate thank god, but just the buzzing made the elderly person beside me um, highly agitated.

DARTH MAXIMUS

Reaction score
the gingerbread sbf will fix it, i did it, several improvements

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ICBMGuy

Reaction score
Add another user to the long list....

On a whim I googled the problem and found this site. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Highly annoying!!!

leesrt

Reaction score
I did a search here and found this thread. Same problem here and unfortunately I discovered it while flying last week. Phone was off and mid flight I noticed it had turned itself on.

My experience with Moto is they will deny they know of the problem. You can call them 10 times and on the 10th time they mysteriously never heard of the problem, not even the 9 times you already called about it.
Down the road an update will come out and will mysteriously fix the problem they had no idea was happening.

I'm glad Verizon is changing their data plan charges because it will force me to evaluate whether to stay with them. It may not be their fault but they always defer to Motorola so by proxy it is. I can tolerate problems and bugs, it's part of technology.
What I can't tolerate is a company that thinks their poop doesn't stink and treats it's customers like fools.
1. Don't ever tell me you never heard of a problem. Isolating me doesn't fix the problem and if I have a smart phone chances are I know how to interact with people on a forum. There's a problem, thats why I'm calling you, tell me you'll research it and contact me shortly, thats it.

2. Contact me shortly. If you need me to pull your head out of your arse for you I can forward the hundreds of posts, from your own website, showing people complaining about the problem.

3. Fix the problem. Don't put your head in the sand and yell LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! Google "Toyota Recalls" and learn how not to do things.

Last edited:
OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I have not had the issue in two weeks. I have not changed a thing or updated anything other then a forced Google update. Very strange. I will see if it returns.

jerbear

Reaction score
This issue cannot be overlooked. It keeps happening. Last night 45 minutes after I shut the phone off it fired back up again.

I'm glad someone else had a long delay in that danged restart. Mine waits 20 min to a half hour before turning itself back on again.

I've read the whole "remove 3rd party software" scripted bull Verizon tells you. The catch on mine. I didn't have ANY. You see my first phone bit the dust right before I did the Gingerbread update on it. It was still under factory warranty so they sent me another one. I hoped and prayed it didn't have it already preloaded. Nope not that lucky! :icon_evil:

So the first day I hadn't put anything back on the phone and it started coming to life on it's own after I turned it off. Third party software my :eek:hmy:

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
Installed the OTA update sent to my phone yesterday. Shut it off yesterday and today without a re-start. Crossing my fingers but not getting excited just yet.

heidigoseek

Reaction score
My phone is rooted, when I realized my firewall wasn't working anymore this morning, I turned the phone off so I didn't burn through date (switched from Verizon to PagePlus a few months back). Went in my locker at work several hours later, phone was on. I was ticked! Went through 8 mb of data just laying in my locker. Now I have to browse forums and try to figure out why I can't access droidwall and whether or not I need to root my phone again. Not messing with it till I hear from someone having similiar probs.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I remember this happening with me too.. I actually would just turn it back off and it would stop, if I remember..

dsttexas

Reaction score
Yup, add me to list of those experiencing the same problem. Turn it off, get into bed, and then it turns itself on again. Hop out of bed, turn it off, and it stays off for the rest of the night. Doesn't happen every time, maybe every 4th or 5th. I'm on Verizon's 4.5.605.MB810 and Android 2.3.3. This never happened prior to the latest upgrade.

rbw62

Reaction score
Goes to prove that GB is indeed a "Ghost".

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

mj1159

Reaction score
Had this same problem myself with my first Bionic i purchases a week ago. Right out of the box it had the issue with turning itself on randomly after i powered it off. At the time Verizon had no answers for me and the place i purchased the phone had no clue either. I had to ultimately return it and get a new one. Since i have gotten the new one, it only turned itself back on once when i first powered off. Seems to be fine now (fingers crossed).