Droid turns back on by itself after I turn it off

jsiesel

Reaction score
Not all the time but most of the time after I turn my phone off it will shut down and then a minute later it will turn back on by itself. I know im not accidently pressing the power button and turning it on so why is it turning on right after I turn it off? I also know that im pressing the power off button and not the sleep button so this doesn't make sense to me. Can you tell me how to fix this problem?

dimmer_is_a_DJ

Reaction score
Please provide more information:

Stock or rooted?

If stock what software version? kernel version?

What 3rd party apps are you running?

If rooted what ROM/theme/"root only" apps are you running?

Does this happen when the phone is plugged into a charger or does it happen regardless?
Make sure the "stay awake" box is unchecked in Settings/Applications/Development if it only happens when phone is plugged in.

It could be an issue with a services permissions preventing your phone from shutting off. What apps are you running that require frequent sync? weather bug for example.

Also, try unchecking the "use wireless networks" and "use gps satellites" in your location and security settings and see if it's still doing it. It could be that those services are sending a signal preventing your phone from fully shutting down.

That last one is just a thought. I've never had this issue with any device and I know for a fact that the problem you're having is a reported and documented issue with your particular device as well as with other devices after the Gingerbread update.

I have a contact at Verizon and I'll see what I can find out about this issue.

Liquorish

Reaction score
You guys are not alone

My wife and I have Droid 3s and BOTH of us are having this problem. Today, I'm sitting in a quiet church with my phone OFF and my phone shouts "DROID" from my shirt pocket! How embarrassing!

Since the phone has poor battery life, I turn it off beside the bed... No magnets nearby, no chargers plugged in, no docking station, and yes, I turn it OFF. It turns itself on in about 5 minutes... but remains off when I turn it off for a second time... weird.

From reading on other forums, this isn't just happening on the Droid 3. I am running Android 2.3.4, Build number 5.5.1_84_D3G-20_TA-9.

'fess up Motorola/Google. You have a problem. How about fixing it!

Last edited:

Crux

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a sign that the World is being taken over by technology. Our droids turn themselves on now, and next they'll be holding us hostage. LMAO but no seriously, probably a malfuntion or something.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Reaction score
My wife and I have Droid 3s and BOTH of us are having this problem. Today, I'm sitting in a quiet church with my phone OFF and my phone shouts "DROID" from my shirt pocket! How embarrassing!

Since the phone has poor battery life, I turn it off beside the bed... No magnets nearby, no chargers plugged in, no docking station, and yes, I turn it OFF. It turns itself on in about 5 minutes... but remains off when I turn it off for a second time... weird.

From reading on other forums, this isn't just happening on the Droid 3. I am running Android 2.3.4, Build number 5.5.1_84_D3G-20_TA-9.

'fess up Motorola/Google. You have a problem. How about fixing it!

My droid did that all the time, did a factory reset ( I know it sucks) and it fixed the problem. Love the phone now, its an absolute power house

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Liquorish

Reaction score
Phones are new

My droid did that all the time, did a factory reset ( I know it sucks) and it fixed the problem. Love the phone now, its an absolute power house

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

We both got our phones about a month ago. I expect it to work correctly, right out of the box... or Motorola/Google/Verizon should send out a patch. I don't screw with my phone (like rooting, or installing lots of apps) and my wife doesn't either.

OP
J

jsiesel

Reaction score
Dimmer_is_a_DJ: no my phone is not rooted, its a stock phone- kernel version

I've finally fixed the problem though. All I did was take the battery out with the phone still on, let it set for a minute, and then put the battery back in and it hasn't acted up since!

dbooksta

Reaction score
Same problem here: Stock Droid 3 just received from Verizon; turns itself back on within a minute of power off. Tried taking out and reseating battery and it's still doing it!

dbooksta

Reaction score
Have you guys tried the Factory Reset as suggested in post #5?

This power-on thing is a ridiculous, annoying bug; but it took my company a day to setup my RSA key etc. last time and I'm weighing whether reinstalling everything is even more annoying....

Does Motorola offer any support that might lead to a hot fix, or are they just "reset it or send it in" on these?

Runner1021

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the phone requiring two power offs before it will stay off. I'm ready to throw the phone in the garbage. Will a factory reset remove all of my contacts and all apps that I have downloaded? If so, that is not an acceptable solution.

bfelch

Reaction score
Annoyed

No, the factory reset does not remove your contacts.
Yes, it will remove your apps.
And if you take it to a store and the guy has problems with the reset, it can wipe your SD card also.
In my case, it did not fix this problem.
I am about to have them send me a new phone and then request a SAMSUNG...

jvrphoto

Reaction score
In the past two weeks I have had two replacement droid x phones sent to me and continue to have the turn on issue. This time after getting the phone I did not install any apps at all and the issue still exists. If they can not fix it why don't they roll back the gingernread update This is not only embarrassing as it has done it to me in church and at a funeral home