Phone to Telescope Adapter

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I live in an area where telescopes are a big deal. An hour drive from my house, people come from other countries SPECIFICALLY to see the night's sky. In times past, I have hovered my phone over the eyepiece so I could grab a quick picture of Saturn, or The Moon. So I did jump at the chance to get a little something from Carson Optical. The HookUpz Universal Smartphone Adaptor IS-100. Its mission, to create a union of smartphone and optics. Microscope, Telescope, or otherwise.

Did I like it? Yes.
Did it work as well as I expected? Slightly Better, still had an issue or two, but nothing major.
Did it take some patience to get it to work? Sure.
Were the pictures worth it? Yep.
Depending on where you buy it, you can expect it to range between $55 and $70,

The only regret I have is that so far, the weather has not been clear enough to justify whipping out the 20 Inch Newtonian telescope! Maybe I can add some photos later on. :)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I've done the same at work. I've held my phone up to the eyepiece on my instrument to help explain what I'm seeing. This product looks interesting to me

Tapped from a Moto X

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My dad made something like this after seeing one advertised. It would work better if he'd get a better phone, but I suppose I should be proud he has an android phone, even if it's low end.

Sent from my Note 4

biglilome

Reaction score
Thats really cool, though CJM's comment made me a bit confused. Does the phone just take pictures, or is there an app that tells you what you are looking at? Either way, its pretty neat.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Looks like something that could be printed in parts with a 3D printer fairly easily. I'd be interested to see if there's something similar in the public domain for 3D printing and then perhaps the grippers (silicone parts) could either be stock or perhaps custom molded. SUGRU may be an excellent alternative to the silicone, since it can be molded into any shape and could even be fitted into a hard mold for perfect replicas. I used SUGRU to make a custom ear gel for my Jawbone Icon Bluetooth headset and that was over a year ago...still works perfectly today.

sugru.jpg

Off to do some Googling...

Last edited: