phone call bug?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Dream, Nov 8, 2009.

1. alphabuild

alphabuild New Member

so are most people holding out for a firmware update to fix this issue?

I really don't want to return it if its software related just to get another one with the same problem, which i heard has happened to others.
  2. lauriep

lauriep New Member

Opposite problem

I have the opposite problem (may have this one too, but not yet). My phone occasionally doesn't go black while I am on a call, so I face dial something which effectively ends the call. This has happened several times.
  3. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

This is being discussed in a couple different threads. I'm not sure if there is a way to consolidate them but here is another discussion.

After doing some experimenting, this is what I've found:

1) It never occurs inside or in darker environments. Covering/uncovering the sensor in the upper left corner makes the droid respond as expected.

2) It does not occur while on speaker phone. In this mode the screen goes blank after the user-specified screen time out and you have to hit the power button to turn it back on. Reading other posts/forums, this seems to be expected behavior.

3) Outside, sunny, bright environments are the real problem. The screen works fine, but as soon as I dial or answer a phone call the screen goes blank, even if I haven't held the handset up to my hear (the sensor never gets covered). Note though that this doesn't happen every time; I haven't been able to consistently recreate the blank screen issue yet. When it does occur, I have had some luck moving the screen around trying to get the sun shining directly at the sensor, but it's kind of a crap shoot.

4) Sliding out the keyboard causes the screen to come back on when the problem occurs.

On normal phone calls, it's not really a problem letting the other person hang up. The biggest issue is when leaving a voicemail or trying to check my voicemail. You can't end the message or enter your vmail password without sliding out the keyboard.

I hope that maybe narrows down the problem for some of you. Can you try it outside in full sun and see if you have similar results? Or maybe you get some ideas about where the problem lies so we can go about fixing it?

Cheers
  4. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

As far as I'm concerned this is not a flaw. All you have to do is press the power button to wake the phone up after a long call.
  5. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Agreed. And I'm sure this will be fixed. I've had this happen maybe once, and the first instinct was to the hit the power button which worked.
  6. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

Sorry, what you're talking about is not the same thing. In this case the screen goes off immediately after the call (made or received). It is unresponsive to any input including the power button
  7. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

Hey I was just talking to some people on a motorola forum. One of the guys figured out a good way to diagnose it. Download a free app called "Sensor Test," which gives you info about the accelerometer, light sensor, proximity sensor etc.

From the other forum: "In the App under "Proximity" It should show "2.14...." when nothing is being detected at the proximity sensor and "3.0' when there is. If you put your finger over the upper left corner of the Droid you should see it changing between those 2 readings as you move your finger over and away from the sensor. On mine that would work properly in a dark or dim room. I then tried the same thing with a bright light (or in the sunshine) and the sensor would get stuck on "3.0" which means it's constantly detecting something there.. even though there isn't. Which would explain why the screen dims out and never comes back. I'm not sure if everyone is having the issue only in light.. but that's the way it was for me, amongst a few other people in this thread. Hope I helped!"

I'm going to try this tomorrow to see if mine gets stuck at 3.0. Try it and see what happens!

Cheers
  8. cyberhap

cyberhap New Member

OK, this may seem too simplistic, but I've had this problem since day one, and I think I figured out why I was having it from time to time...

I'm left-handed. When I hold the phone to talk, I use my left hand, and my thumb is typically somewhere near the front of the phone. The sensor that disables the display when the phone is up against your head is in the upper left corner of the phone, above the display. When I take the phone away from my head, my thumb is still over the sensor. Duh!

That was definitely the reason for some of my issues. Now, I still think I have the "long call" issue that others are experiencing, and hope they fix it in an early patch.

Overall, this is a terrific phone, the best one I've had in 15 years!
  9. MadisonMarine

MadisonMarine New Member

same problem

less actual dropped calls than my iphone but way more problems of the phone just hanging up and the phone needing a "reset"....third phone from Verizon and I'm getting a little tired of the trip back to the same store to replace.

Interesting...on Verizon's network I get a poorer signal in the same spot as I do with an iphone...

3 weeks left before I keep or get off the pot...I wonder how many people are in the same situation...
  10. Redls1bird

Redls1bird New Member

Id say this happens to my phone roughly 20-25% of the time. I woulndt really care, except it seems to always be on business calls when i am short for time. It makes me mad it doesnt work right... Maybe its a time bug like the camera.
  11. Pixelator

Pixelator New Member

Mine only responds correctly in a well lit room or sunlight. In a dark room I have to hit the Speakerphone button for the dialpad to respond. This is the only bug I've found, and am very happy with this Droid. Best phone I've ever owned hands down.
  12. big erick

big erick New Member

just push the volume rocker or the lock button located by the headphone jack!!
  13. Pixelator

Pixelator New Member

I have to press the speaker button. If I press the lock button it lights up, but as soon as I press a number on the dial pad it goes dark again. Sometimes it goes out before I even get a number pressed. Turning on the speaker is the only thing that makes it stay lit and responding.
  14. big erick

big erick New Member

thats weird, my phone goes dark when im on a bluetooth call and I have to press the volume rocker or the unlock button on top and it comes to life. I had the same issue so i went on one of these forums and someone gave me the answer im giving you and it has worked ever since. someone alse had a good idea also to set your screen time out to never. give it a shot. its made to go dark when you put it to your face so you dont press touchscreen buttons with your cheek while on a call like i used to with my storm 1 LOL..
  15. big erick

big erick New Member

thats weird, my phone goes dark when im on a bluetooth call and I have to press the volume rocker or the unlock button on top and it comes to life. I had the same issue so i went on one of these forums and someone gave me the answer im giving you and it has worked ever since. someone alse had a good idea also to set your screen time out to never. give it a shot. its made to go dark when you put it to your face so you dont press touchscreen buttons with your cheek while on a call like i used to with my storm 1
Search tags for this page
s4 blanks dialing

wechat bug phone call