Phone Big oversight

sterdroids

Reaction score
I love the device but I feel a really big oversight (maybe I am wrong) if so please enlighten me. Shouldnt one of the 4 buttons be a phone button to bring you right back to the phone app as fast as possible? I feel like I get lost a little in the OS when looking for the phone app. I feel it is not intuitive to getting back to hang up a phone call etc... and doing it in a FAST WAY.

Maybe its just me?

lauriep

Reaction score
I keep the Phone app on my home screen. Easy access...

This. People, this isn't a tough concept! When you have to make a call, you press one icon to get to call screen. When you need to hang up, the phone screen comes back up and you hang up. AT WORST, you have to tap the power button to re-activate the screen, then hang up. How fast do you really need to hang up??

Sterdroid, it really seems as if this isn't the phone for you. You have too many (simple) issues with it.

sir

Reaction score
the reason this is classified as a "Smartphone" is because all of the other features (Internet, apps, etc.) are just as important as the phone feature itself. Thus the phone is not a centralized feature that needs to be immediately accessible.

The four buttons at the bottom are applicable and useful to all applications that want to leverage them, as opposed to adding a phone icon which has a singular purpose and would take away from other icons that would be useful to an app.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score

This. People, this isn't a tough concept! When you have to make a call, you press one icon to get to call screen. When you need to hang up, the phone screen comes back up and you hang up. AT WORST, you have to tap the power button to re-activate the screen, then hang up. How fast do you really need to hang up??

Sterdroid, it really seems as if this isn't the phone for you. You have too many (simple) issues with it.

No not that its not for me I want it for me but.... I need it to work. I dont want to press and press and press especially when I am driving. I want to hang up EZ not too much to ask for. Dont get me wrong some of the feature on this phone are OUT of this WORLD!

I went to return and I couldnt!!!

sir

Reaction score

No not that its not for me I want it for me but.... I need it to work. I dont want to press and press and press especially when I am driving. I want to hang up EZ not too much to ask for.

Saying "i want it to be for me" says you should be accepting of sacrifices to accommodate how the phone works and change the way you use the phone to work with the phone itself, but saying "I need it to work" says you have problems with the features it has and you are not going to cater your usage to the features the phone presents. So you've essentially said the phone is not for you.

You don't have to "press and press and press" any more than any other smartphone. I guess in that regard a smartphone is not for you.

Not sure why the massive red "END" button isn't easy for you...not to mention you should be using bluetooth in the car which can hang up from the bluetooth device.

I guess any touchscreen device is not for you, as much as you want it to be.

My suggestion is to either learn how to use the phone with the features it has and the way the features are presented, or to look at other phones on the market and find one that works the way you want a phone to work.

destrekor

Reaction score
You have three options:
- as others have mentioned, place a Phone shortcut on the Home-screen.
- Hold the "Home" touch button on the bottom, Phone will likely be one of your 6 most recent apps.
- Drag the Notification Shade down, the Phone Call will appear at the top, underneath "Ongoing".

irishdroid

Reaction score
Prox. detector???

Are you having trouble ending the call? Im sure you know that there is a sensor that reactivates the screen when you move it away from your head. When that screen comes back up you only have to push the END button. If you make a call and the screen does not come back you may have your sensor blocked or could be defective...:motdroidhoriz:

R1Lover

Reaction score
If the other party hands up your phone will also disconnect... get over it! :)

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
You have three options:
- as others have mentioned, place a Phone shortcut on the Home-screen.
- Hold the "Home" touch button on the bottom, Phone will likely be one of your 6 most recent apps.
- Drag the Notification Shade down, the Phone Call will appear at the top, underneath "Ongoing".

thanks for the these I knew of most of them but I had a problem where I couldnt even get back to the call in progress screen.

I guess i am having issue where i am dialing from the call log and then when i hit phone app it brings me back to call log first then i need to hit call in progress to get to the hangup area. seriously I couldnt hang up if i wanted to. not sure what I am doing wrong. not knocking the phone i love it and i am getting over "my" personal hurdles one by one but not being able to hang up easily i need to work on that one.

I am new to bluetooth in terms i never use it i use speaker phone. but maybe i need to get a BT headset (which One?).

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I seems a lot of people that have problems with the Droid are just not takeing the time to learn how to use it, a lot of users come from a standerd use phone and expect the same from the Droid. The Droid is called a smart phone for a reason.

If you want the phone app with dial pad to come back up when your done talking or to take a call waiting, just pull the phone away from your face.

Motorola now has a complete manual for the Droid on their website under support in pdf form, or you can order a hard copy from them for free just by registering your Droid with them. :)

Redls1bird

Reaction score
the reason this is classified as a "Smartphone" is because all of the other features (Internet, apps, etc.) are just as important as the phone feature itself. Thus the phone is not a centralized feature that needs to be immediately accessible.

I agree that it is easy enough to hang up the phone. That being said, i must disagree with you. You forget that it is a smartPHONE, hence it is a PHONE with other capabilities. The reason that it is "lacking" is because it is a touch screen phone. Smart phones of the candy bar type have a dedicated answer and hangup keys that always function in that manner no matter where on the phone you happen to be. On a touch screen phone, your UI changes with each application and in our case, each app is often designed by a different person. That leads to a complicated user experience.

That being said, if you dont have the brain resources to make a few on screen selections, what do you want with a smart phone anyway?

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
No brain resources left pressing too many button LOL!

Anyway for the non rude out there what about programing one of the 4 buttons to work on a double click type or long press which could bring up the phone app?

sir

Reaction score

I agree that it is easy enough to hang up the phone. That being said, i must disagree with you. You forget that it is a smartPHONE, hence it is a PHONE with other capabilities. The reason that it is "lacking" is because it is a touch screen phone. Smart phones of the candy bar type have a dedicated answer and hangup keys that always function in that manner no matter where on the phone you happen to be. On a touch screen phone, your UI changes with each application and in our case, each app is often designed by a different person. That leads to a complicated user experience.

That being said, if you dont have the brain resources to make a few on screen selections, what do you want with a smart phone anyway?

The reason "phone" is tacked on is because it's a mobile device which can use a mobile network, not because the "phone" is the key aspect. I would argue that email is by far the most used application on a smartphone.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
I guess I am old school that is where the disconnect is! I am not the biggest texter I like to talk and I think people are more textcentric where the phone isnt as important.