People who upgrade every time a new phone gets released

OP
E

elietu

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the DROID forums..

Some of us do it just because we can... its no different than making modifications to your car or truck, which I also do... lol.

As far as the cost... everybody should do as they can afford :) some people don't pay full retail, they buy off of swappa, Craigslist, eBay... lots of places... :)

The reason we do it... we're tech junkies, we want the latest greatest... it's an obsession lol

Yeah, I sort of understand. I wish I could get the newest & greatest but I just simply cannot afford it. :(

geoff5093

Reaction score
I don't buy a new one every few months, but when I do buy one I do research for months to make sure it's a phone that I really want. If there are rumors of a new device coming out in 1-2 months that looks to be incredibly amazing, I'll wait. Nothing's worse than walking in to a Verizon store blindly, buy a phone, then go home to find out that either it has very little dev support, or the next generation is coming out a month later. Doing my research I've been able to live with a phone for almost 2 years.

dan.dar

Reaction score
If you have four lines you could theoretically upgrade twice a year for about $200 each time. Also some people are business owners with even more lines and some have a lot of disposable income.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

dietz4ibanez

Reaction score
We have a upgrade on our line every year. I have never paid full retail for a phone. I've had the Droid 1,X,Bionic and now the Maxx HD. I might need to branch out but overall I love my Moto phones. I have always had one for at least the past 10 years. They were the Nextel phones that I started with.

applemac

Reaction score
I have 3 lines- mine, my Mom's and my 30 yr. old stepson. Mom doesn't EVER want a new phone! Stepson can buy his own phone :icon_ devil: and I get a new phone about as often as I want! :biggrin: Bought the GS3; hated it but it went past my 14 days. So, I sold it on Ebay for 2x what I paid for it. Got the Razr Maxx HD and I am a happy camper...for awhile.

sammyboy405

Reaction score
How can they afford to do that? Its like $700-800 per upgrade after the cheap 2 yr one. It just boggles my mind that people can afford to keep upgrading every few months just for a small advance over the phone they currently have. I can't believe how often companies like Samsung and Motorola release new phones. You get a nice Galaxy s3 and your cool for a few months, but then its all about the galaxy note 2 and so on and so fourth.

I Do it because I can afford it.. But Its just me and my Wife.. We swap and rotate phones.. We have 5 Phones on our account. But here is what we do.

Once in a While I have to fork out 5/600 Bucks for an off Contract phone. But for the Most part when a GOOD phone comes out that I want then we have a Line avaible that can be upgraded.

Now you ask how can you afford the Data Package on each line.. Well in short we dont. We Then call Verizon or goto the Store and we attach a "Dummy" phone to the line . And then all we pay is $10 bucks a month for the line.

But 2 of our lines My Parents use, but they have just cheap Flip phones.. And when they need a new one I just go buy them a cheap flip phone off Ebay or something. So I guess You can say, that we have 4 lines and 1 Dummy. But it all works out well. Wife and I get the phone we want when we want it.

I am fortunate enough to have a Job to where I get paid very well. So sometime we will forego a longer vacation to get a phone and shorten a vacation trip by a day or 2. There are many different methods of how people flip flop on phones..

Keep in Mind alot of the well known developers get donations to help them purchase the phone.

steelman52

Reaction score
As for me...I own a business so I hand down my phones, swap the numbers, and my employees get upgrades from their previous phones, so they're happy. In the past couple of years I've had a Droid X, Droid X2, Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR Maxx, and now the RAZR Maxx HD. Like I've heard said "It's good to be the king!". Lol

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
As for me...I own a business so I hand down my phones, swap the numbers, and my employees get upgrades from their previous phones, so they're happy. In the past couple of years I've had a Droid X, Droid X2, Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR Maxx, and now the RAZR Maxx HD. Like I've heard said "It's good to be the king!". Lol

Are you hiring?? lol :p

delcopa

Reaction score
I Do it because I can afford it.. But Its just me and my Wife.. We swap and rotate phones.. We have 5 Phones on our account. But here is what we do.

Once in a While I have to fork out 5/600 Bucks for an off Contract phone. But for the Most part when a GOOD phone comes out that I want then we have a Line avaible that can be upgraded.

Now you ask how can you afford the Data Package on each line.. Well in short we dont. We Then call Verizon or goto the Store and we attach a "Dummy" phone to the line . And then all we pay is $10 bucks a month for the line.

But 2 of our lines My Parents use, but they have just cheap Flip phones.. And when they need a new one I just go buy them a cheap flip phone off Ebay or something. So I guess You can say, that we have 4 lines and 1 Dummy. But it all works out well. Wife and I get the phone we want when we want it.

I am fortunate enough to have a Job to where I get paid very well. So sometime we will forego a longer vacation to get a phone and shorten a vacation trip by a day or 2. There are many different methods of how people flip flop on phones..

Keep in Mind alot of the well known developers get donations to help them purchase the phone.

I had a job where I was the mobile IT guy and managed the BES Servers so always had new phones testing them out :) was normal to have two phones on my belt at any given time lol. That's how I got into the newest and greatest phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Black05Hemi

Reaction score
I really can't afford it, but I decided I wanted the Maxx HD. So, I but the bullet, bought it, and sold my S3. I'm happy.

clintro

Reaction score
We have 5 lines on our account 3 with unlimited data and two dummy lines. That is an upgrade about every 5 months.

3 lines are one of myself, girlfriend and daughter. Daughter gets the old phone and I get a new one :) sometimes I pay full retail, but usually I don't.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, for those who upgrade each time a phone comes out, they can usually sell their old phone, which is still pretty new, and get a decent price for it, therefore subsidizing the newer phones cost.