1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

People who upgrade every time a new phone gets released

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX HD' started by elietu, Oct 28, 2012.

1. elietu

elietu New Member

How can they afford to do that? Its like $700-800 per upgrade after the cheap 2 yr one. It just boggles my mind that people can afford to keep upgrading every few months just for a small advance over the phone they currently have. I can't believe how often companies like Samsung and Motorola release new phones. You get a nice Galaxy s3 and your cool for a few months, but then its all about the galaxy note 2 and so on and so fourth.
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello and welcome to the DROID forums..

Some of us do it just because we can... its no different than making modifications to your car or truck, which I also do... lol.

As far as the cost... everybody should do as they can afford :) some people don't pay full retail, they buy off of swappa, Craigslist, eBay... lots of places... :)

The reason we do it... we're tech junkies, we want the latest greatest... it's an obsession lol
  3. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

Personally, it's my drug of choice, and lots cheaper than the other drugs. Relatively a cheap attitude adjustment for me.
  4. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator Staff Member

Also remember that plenty people sell their current phones as the market is good for phones on no contract.. In the case of VZW if I buy at subsidize price its more of a cost over the year with losing unlimited data..

Sent from my flashaholic G-Nex...
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

My tech addiction is so bad.....I switched to a family plan last year just to have upgrades available about every year and to have more than one phone for my use... :( Kids mother is helping pay for 1 line....I have a 3 line family plan now.

Its good tho, I can test phones exactly side by side, I can weigh in on the phone vs phone debates with real hands on experience...

Even still...I kept my Droid X1 for 1 year and 4 months, and my RAZR from last year for 11 months.
  6. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

When i was buying a new phone every few months, i was selling my old ones.

Return of the Android
  7. lloydstrans

I had 3 lines, now 1, I also had every inclination to sell my old phones but I have a shoe box (now 2) of old phones, usually wind up keeping them. I had upgrades every 365 days so I got a new phone every 4 months. Now I just bought a maxx off of CL and sold my RAZR to a friend. The day the RAZR maxx HD came out I got "gifted" with 6 bills, omen. But I resisted waiting for the HTC dlx.
    I miss getting them just to play with them and pick the one I like best and leave the others in the sock drawer.
  8. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Yea people sell their old ones... I try and keep mine as long as I can :p
  9. lloydstrans

It's hard to take a step backwards, isn't it?
  10. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

It easily is.. have G3 now in which I love, Bionic for the lapdock over wifi .. :)
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

I was bent on getting a Razr Maxx, but since Verizon got rid of the unlimited data, I decided to get a new battery and stick with my Droid X for the foreseeable future.

My Nexus 7 tablet cost $249: reasonable, IMO, for state-of-the-art hardware (quad core tegra 3) and software (Android JB 4.1.2).
    There's no real reason why adding a cell antenna in a device should increase its price by $500. My phone has become a phone again; any serious Android work is delegated to my tablet.
  12. lloydstrans

I still have my x as a backup that was the first phone I "fell in love with" in a long time.
  13. crxlsturbo

crxlsturbo Member

Or some people like myself find someone to swap there phones. Some people after the 14 day return period don't like there current phone and want to trade it. I got lucky with my Rezound. I actually found someone on craigslist to swap my Rezound for three gs3. And I am loving this phone.
  14. tkileh

tkileh New Member

I buy new phone and give my women my old one. It keeps her happy and I get new toys. :)

Maxx HD
  15. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

$600 isn't a lot of money each year. Going to a football game is $150 in food and drinks so its all relative for me.
  16. elietu

elietu New Member

Yeah, I sort of understand. I wish I could get the newest & greatest but I just simply cannot afford it. :(
  17. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I don't buy a new one every few months, but when I do buy one I do research for months to make sure it's a phone that I really want. If there are rumors of a new device coming out in 1-2 months that looks to be incredibly amazing, I'll wait. Nothing's worse than walking in to a Verizon store blindly, buy a phone, then go home to find out that either it has very little dev support, or the next generation is coming out a month later. Doing my research I've been able to live with a phone for almost 2 years.
  18. dan.dar

dan.dar New Member

If you have four lines you could theoretically upgrade twice a year for about $200 each time. Also some people are business owners with even more lines and some have a lot of disposable income.

Sent from my MAXX HD.
  19. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez New Member

We have a upgrade on our line every year. I have never paid full retail for a phone. I've had the Droid 1,X,Bionic and now the Maxx HD. I might need to branch out but overall I love my Moto phones. I have always had one for at least the past 10 years. They were the Nextel phones that I started with.
  20. applemac

applemac New Member

I have 3 lines- mine, my Mom's and my 30 yr. old stepson. Mom doesn't EVER want a new phone! Stepson can buy his own phone :icon_ devil: and I get a new phone about as often as I want! :biggrin: Bought the GS3; hated it but it went past my 14 days. So, I sold it on Ebay for 2x what I paid for it. Got the Razr Maxx HD and I am a happy camper...for awhile.