PDA net app verizon hidden charges?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
they are taking steps to block the apps on both android and iphone first to block the apps in the market. The next step will to start charging the abusers. If you tether why not pay for it, its not expensive. If you cant afford the extra money maybe a smart phone isnt for you.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Verizon-tethering-hotspot-jailbreak-Cydia,news-12124.html

P
S: Silmarillion this isn't directed towards you directly.... its just a general rant.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
they are taking steps to block the apps on both android and iphone first to block the apps in the market. The next step will to start charging the abusers. If you tether why not pay for it, its not expensive. If you cant afford the extra money maybe a smart phone isnt for you.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Verizon-tethering-hotspot-jailbreak-Cydia,news-12124.html

P
S: Silmarillion this isn't directed towards you directly.... its just a general rant.

Thank you for the qualifier. Somehow I dont find paying $360 for phone data and 360 for tethered data a year reasonable. If you're considering the pre tax costs, it's closer to $936.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the qualifier. Somehow I dont find paying $360 for phone data and 360 for tethered data a year reasonable. If you're considering the pre tax costs, it's closer to $936.
You mean post tax? $720 is pre tax.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
You mean post tax? $720 is pre tax.

Depending on your tax bracket/state, you have to earn more than $720 to pay for it. If you pay 30% of your income in taxes, you have to earn a pretax amount of $936.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The story that its "to hard on the network" is a bunch of bs, they are charging for data the way they are now because they know they can get away with it, with how smartphones can surf the net.

I personally think charging for tethering is a load of crap, you can even torrent on some of these phones now, the difference between using your phone as a browser and tethering to a laptop, netbook, desktop, or what have you, is incredibly minimal anymore.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

vatothe0

Reaction score
The story that its "to hard on the network" is a bunch of bs, they are charging for data the way they are now because they know they can get away with it, with how smartphones can surf the net.

I personally think charging for tethering is a load of crap, you can even torrent on some of these phones now, the difference between using your phone as a browser and tethering to a laptop, netbook, desktop, or what have you, is incredibly minimal anymore.

I don't remember my phone automatically downloading a 400+mb os update. Or 50mb antivirus updates or the multitude of other things that clearly differentiate smartphone use from pc use.

Obviously you've made up your mind and no amount of rational explanation will change it but hopefully someone will learn something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been tethering my phones since I got my lg vx8100 back in 2006, I don't have automatic updates on my pc therefore it would never just download them, my antivirus sure, however I can torrent through my phone now, what's the difference if I use my droid and torrent or tether and torrent? Nothing. The most I tether for is when I'm in the field and want to get online, or when I'm using my xoom wifi. Sure I've played lotro on my pc when tethered, you'd be surprised how little data an mmo actually passes, I played for six hours once, and ony 150mb downloaded and 50 mb or so uploaded. So don't tell me tethering always uses more data than my "smart" phone can.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I've been tethering my phones since I got my lg vx8100 back in 2006, I don't have automatic updates on my pc therefore it would never just download them, my antivirus sure, however I can torrent through my phone now, what's the difference if I use my droid and torrent or tether and torrent? Nothing. The most I tether for is when I'm in the field and want to get online, or when I'm using my xoom wifi. Sure I've played lotro on my pc when tethered, you'd be surprised how little data an mmo actually passes, I played for six hours once, and ony 150mb downloaded and 50 mb or so uploaded. So don't tell me tethering always uses more data than my "smart" phone can.

Just as I said, you've clearly made up your mind and aren't open to rational discussion. So much so that you're now making "things I told you". Not once did I say tethering will always use more data than your smartphone.

In the end, it doesn't even matter if you agree with how it's priced since it's not a negotiation. There are set terms for smartphone data use and terms for tethered data use that you legally bound yourself to. You shouldn't accept the terms and use the service if you don't agree with the terms.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just as I said, you've clearly made up your mind and aren't open to rational discussion. So much so that you're now making "things I told you". Not once did I say tethering will always use more data than your smartphone. In the end, it doesn't even matter if you agree with how it's priced since it's not a negotiation. There are set terms for smartphone data use and terms for tethered data use that you legally bound yourself to. You shouldn't accept the terms and use the service if you don't agree with the terms. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
it has nothing to do with making up my mind. I simply won't pay for something I only use once or twice a year. when I already pay for smartphone data. VZW has been trying to block tethering for years, and every time they succeed someone finds a work around. It's like that piracy protection some company spent millions on that was thwarted with a magic marker covering up the darker colored ring on the CD. now if I tethered every single day I'd pay for the service, and using my xoom with my phone doesn't seem to be against the rules... at least I've not read anything where it is seeing as it's built into the system.

vatothe0

Reaction score
it has nothing to do with making up my mind. I simply won't pay for something I only use once or twice a year. when I already pay for smartphone data. VZW has been trying to block tethering for years, and every time they succeed someone finds a work around. It's like that piracy protection some company spent millions on that was thwarted with a magic marker covering up the darker colored ring on the CD. now if I tethered every single day I'd pay for the service, and using my xoom with my phone doesn't seem to be against the rules... at least I've not read anything where it is seeing as it's built into the system.

If you only need it once or twice a year, why don't you just pay for it, once or twice a year? You can add and remove the feature at will and is no more than than $1 per day.

Free tethering is not part of "the system". It may be part of a custom rom you installed though.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you have a xoom? Connect your xoom to your phone through bt then go to bt options on the xoom, click the little wrench and then press use to tether, worked on stock xoom rom since I bought it.