Using PDAnet, any worries?

st3V3

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid, using the free version of PDAnet to supply internet to my Macbook Pro. I know it has the 14 day free trial, but will I get slapped with any hidden charges with this application? I do have unlimited txt and data, 550 anytime min and from what I understand it uses my data to give me internet. However on my Blackberry I know there was a 5 GB limit per/ month with its tethering feature. Same with this application?

Last edited:

nerdbox08

Reaction score
There are tons of threads, very long ones in fact, going over this exact topic; did you try searching the forum for pdanet?

You will get a ton if info that way :p

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
There are tons of threads, very long ones in fact, going over this exact topic; did you try searching the forum for pdanet?

My bad, I did search but realize now that I spelled it wrong/ searched the wrong term, haha oops

naccout

Reaction score
Basically, tethering without the tethering plan is against Verizon's TOS, but as long as you don't draw attention to yourself with excessive tethering you'll be ok. I'd discourage large downloads. (I don't download anything when tethering, period.)

If Verizon catches you, you'll be charged for all your data usage, and yep, very expensive.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

My bad, I did search but realize now that I spelled it wrong/ searched the wrong term, haha oops

It's all good, I just know there some amazing threads on this particular topic

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
Basically, tethering without the tethering plan is against Verizon's TOS, but as long as you don't draw attention to yourself with excessive tethering you'll be ok. I'd discourage large downloads. (I don't download anything when tethering, period.)

If Verizon catches you, you'll be charged for all your data usage, and yep, very expensive.

It's funny you say that, cause when I spoke to TWO representatives when I called the Verizon corporate number, both said tethering was a FREE option with the Droid, unlike the $15/ month/ 5GB tethering package I had with my blackberry.

theecigarman

Reaction score
I use the PDAnet several times a week with my macbook pro. I keep my usage limited, IE: no heavy dl's. I love it! the only thing I would like to do is be able to link via BT rather than a cable. Otherwise, it's a great option for me.

naccout

Reaction score

It's funny you say that, cause when I spoke to TWO representatives when I called the Verizon corporate number, both said tethering was a FREE option with the Droid, unlike the $15/ month/ 5GB tethering package I had with my blackberry.

My gal works at a retail store and a few days ago someone was in with a Droid that'd been shut off for tethering, because one of her new co-workers told the customer they could tether. I guess he sucked up a lot of data?

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
Well what is considered "alot" of data? I mean I have had my phone for only like 20ish days and naturally have been trying all the features, I'm up to about 300 MB, with tethering I'm looking at like 400-500 MB.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

I would have asked them to send me that in writing :) Or at least made sure I got each of their full names and contact #..

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to beat the dead horse, but the ToS you signed when you bought the contract trumps anything any Rep says ever.

VZW doesnt appear to be cracking down, but there's nothing to say they wont at some point.

Be smart, dont tether excessively, and you'll be fine.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
Excessively is such a vague word.. BTW, does anyone have feedback on speed with usb tethering vs wifi tethering? Any noticeable differences?

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
Not to beat the dead horse, but the ToS you signed when you bought the contract trumps anything any Rep says ever.

VZW doesnt appear to be cracking down, but there's nothing to say they wont at some point.

Well when I have wifi, I use it (like right now). I am using the tethering feature on this vacation to the beach cause the camping resort we are at does not have wifi coverage through out the camp. I like the feature because I am an outdoors man who at times, still needs to connect to the real world for finance reasons, major news, etc. In that sense I need the feature.

Excessively is such a vague word.. BTW, does anyone have feedback on speed with usb tethering vs wifi tethering? Any noticeable differences?

I have been using it on and off. It sits at par with basic wifi. I can load forums, facebook, youtube, etc with ease (that is with 3-4 bars on the network). However to be on the safe side all I really use it for is to AIM my girlfriend (each msg uses about 1 KB of data). It is very useful for checking stuff online, although I would not recommend downloading or updating any music/videos/files. Also I would not sit around and surf the web. The app on the phone allows you to see in real time the data you are sending/receiving and it's amazing to see how fast the numbers can climb. Use it as a "necessity" not a "convince".

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Well what is considered "alot" of data? I mean I have had my phone for only like 20ish days and naturally have been trying all the features, I'm up to about 300 MB, with tethering I'm looking at like 400-500 MB.

That is not a lot. The number often quoted is 5 gigs. Below that would probably not raise a flag. Much more than that and it could.

mrgoochio

Reaction score

Well when I have wifi, I use it (like right now). I am using the tethering feature on this vacation to the beach cause the camping resort we are at does not have wifi coverage through out the camp. I like the feature because I am an outdoors man who at times, still needs to connect to the real world for finance reasons, major news, etc. In that sense I need the feature.

I have been using it on and off. It sits at par with basic wifi. I can load forums, facebook, youtube, etc with ease (that is with 3-4 bars on the network). However to be on the safe side all I really use it for is to AIM my girlfriend (each msg uses about 1 KB of data). It is very useful for checking stuff online, although I would not recommend downloading or updating any music/videos/files. Also I would not sit around and surf the web. The app on the phone allows you to see in real time the data you are sending/receiving and it's amazing to see how fast the numbers can climb. Use it as a "necessity" not a "convince".

Is it really that much of a concern restricting your tethering use that much when I've seen people mentioning theyre racking up nearly 10GB of data each month?