"PC Mode" USB issue with Liberty

Substandard

Reaction score
So, I am loving the liberty mod so far, and my exchange and everything seems to be working fine.

I am running into an issue that I've not seen anyone else mentioning, so I thought I'd see if I was just doing it wrong.

I can't get my computer to recognize the phone when it is hooked up via USB unless I put it in USB mass storage mode. It attempts to install drivers in the Computer mode, but seems to crap out and never show up in my device / drive list. I'm not sure if this is a motorola issue or a liberty issue. I don't really want to restore back to my old stock rom to check if I'm just being stupid.

It worked fine prior to applying the rom, and I'm on Windows 7 x64.

I wouldn't really care, but it won't sync my music in mass storage mode, and I'm too lazy to do it manually.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So, I am loving the liberty mod so far, and my exchange and everything seems to be working fine.

I am running into an issue that I've not seen anyone else mentioning, so I thought I'd see if I was just doing it wrong.

I can't get my computer to recognize the phone when it is hooked up via USB unless I put it in USB mass storage mode. It attempts to install drivers in the Computer mode, but seems to crap out and never show up in my device / drive list. I'm not sure if this is a motorola issue or a liberty issue. I don't really want to restore back to my old stock rom to check if I'm just being stupid.

It worked fine prior to applying the rom, and I'm on Windows 7 x64.

I wouldn't really care, but it won't sync my music in mass storage mode, and I'm too lazy to do it manually.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

This is a known issue with blur-less roms. I'm assuming that something with blur that motorola put in has the direct hook up for all the usb functions.

If you really want the media sync to work 100% switch to a blurry rom like Apex (great rom).

You can also use Motorola Media Link It'll basically hijack your mass storage selected connection and make it work exactly as the media sync option would have. You don't even have to use their program for media transfers as there's an option to make Windows media player see you device as it expects.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

OP
S

Substandard

Reaction score
Ahh.. Thanks. I assumed it was something on my end. I'm glad to find out it's not something that should be working no problem.

I'm fairly new to android and this is my first blurless rom on my X.

I was using media monkey previously to sync a playlist to my device, and I am a big fan of it.

I might give media link a try and see how it goes, and if I can get it to work with my current setup.

Thanks for the info!

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ahh.. Thanks. I assumed it was something on my end. I'm glad to find out it's not something that should be working no problem.

I'm fairly new to android and this is my first blurless rom on my X.

I was using media monkey previously to sync a playlist to my device, and I am a big fan of it.

I might give media link a try and see how it goes, and if I can get it to work with my current setup.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. I wish someone had told me so quickly. Took me about a month of banging my head on the desk before someone told me what I just told you.

I posted in every rom thread I could find on several different forums. Either no one uses it, or everyone just laughs at the noob-ness of the question.

Kryodyne

Reaction score
Quick howto on WMP sync

I too am blurless and have had issues with the media sync... however I would like to help with the media player question - to use it, once your device is detected, open windows media player, go to your library, on the right you should see a sync tab, if your device is listed you can drag your playlists or media files there and then click sync and everything will go to your phone in the proper folders. Apparantly if you are on a blurless ROM it's a little harder to get the drivers to work and the DRM is broken. This is the case with mine - I actually used the Moto drivers in USB Mass Storage mode on Win 7 32-bin and it added the MTP USB device and listed it as "Motorola" in Windows Media Player. I am using Liberty 1.5 on my Droid X. If anyone knows how to fix DRM on this ROM please share - I have several movies and a few WMA files I would love to watch but they won't sync now, but everything w/o DRM does.