Outlook contacts and Droid.

sgmidf

Reaction score
Great forum, and I apologize if this is the wrong subforum. I'm currently using a Blackberry on a BES and would like to make the move to an Android phone. While I'm confident that email and calendar will work well, I'm concerned about my contact list from Exchange. When I tried to import them into GMail, they weren't sorted by last name, which is a hassle. Is there a way to use only Outlook for contacts on the phone? Better yet, is there a way to sync the contacts between GMail and Outlook exchange so that they will mirror each other?
Thanks

PARick

Reaction score
Great forum, and I apologize if this is the wrong subforum. I'm currently using a Blackberry on a BES and would like to make the move to an Android phone. While I'm confident that email and calendar will work well, I'm concerned about my contact list from Exchange. When I tried to import them into GMail, they weren't sorted by last name, which is a hassle. Is there a way to use only Outlook for contacts on the phone? Better yet, is there a way to sync the contacts between GMail and Outlook exchange so that they will mirror each other?
Thanks

Yes. If you use Touchdown, instructions can be found here:

http://www.nitrodesk.com/tddownloads/tdstartup.pdf

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks

There is no need to use touch down. Go to gmail on line and go to your settings. In the settings are some simple instructions on how to change your contacts to .csv files and import them into gmail which is what you want to do. Once they are imported to gmail, then the Droid will import the contacts to the phone when it syncs.

Here is a link to help you: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help

PARick

Reaction score
Thanks

There is no need to use touch down. Go to gmail on line and go to your settings. In the settings are some simple instructions on how to change your contacts to .csv files and import them into gmail which is what you want to do. Once they are imported to gmail, then the Droid will import the contacts to the phone when it syncs.

Here is a link to help you: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help

Thanks Hook. I was thinking he was using an Exchange Server. Probably a wrong assumption on my part.

mtkregs

Reaction score
He did say he was on Exchange.

There are different ways of going about this, depending on your preferences. I chose to keep my work contacts on my Outlook account and my personal contacts on my gmail account. Both sync up nicely into the stock contacts app.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's what I do too. It is also company policy to set up a Droid that way.
Being the IT Manager, I set that policy. lol

I don't want people's Gmail contacts synching into Exchange.
They are kept separate and it works just fine.

mtkregs

Reaction score
That's what I do too. It is also company policy to set up a Droid that way.
Being the IT Manager, I set that policy. lol

I don't want people's Gmail contacts synching into Exchange.
They are kept separate and it works just fine.

I don't want to speak for Hook, but I think he was proposing the other way around...i.e...importing your outlook contacts into gmail. For me, that's not a desired solution as I add contacts to my Outlook account very frequently. The way I have it set, I let Exchange worry about syncing Outlook contacts with the Droid and I let gmail worry about syncing personal contacts with the Droid.

Pretty basic.