Is there a good App to SYNC directly with Microsoft Outlook (contacts and calendar)?

ttevogt

Reaction score
I am considering the Droid to replace my blackberry. Does anyone know if a good app that will SYNC outlook directly with Microsoft Outlook?

If there is not a good app, what about the upgraded version of Google Apps.....Is the contact manager better than the standard? I keep a lot of info for each contact, and do not want it messed up when bringing it into the Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Droid to replace my blackberry. Does anyone know if a good app that will SYNC outlook directly with Microsoft Outlook?

If there is not a good app, what about the upgraded version of Google Apps.....Is the contact manager better than the standard? I keep a lot of info for each contact, and do not want it messed up when bringing it into the Droid.

Google Android sync | Sync Droid, Nexus One, and CLIQ with PC software like Outlook for syncing outlook.

Contacts are all handled by Google. If you have a gmail account already you should be able to see what it looks like. Contacts are also backed up by Google.

I can't guarantee that Gmail will work better for you then blackberry, but I can guarantee that Droid will kick *** on Blackberry. :)

OP
T

ttevogt

Reaction score
I am impressed with what I see with the phone, but if I have to 'wash' my contacts, and other info through GMAIL/Google Docs it may be a deal breaker. I have seen that with the upgraded version of Google Docs there is an Outlook Sync. Has anyone used that, and how intact does it leave your data?

GuyWithDogs

Reaction score
If you are a very tied to Outlook/Office for work or life activities, then the DROID (or other Android phone) may not be a very good choice. If you're used to the sort of MS ActiveSync synchronization, you'll be disappointed. The DROID, in particular, really does push you to the Google method of doing things, and syncing your calendar and contacts is possible, but a bit tricky, and there's often an assumption that you'll doing things through Google online as the proxy to your phone.

The info the other posts have is helpful - it give you an idea of where things are currently. But you might want to consider a Windows Mobile phone, since that will allow you to sync much more tightly.

If you want an Android phone, be prepared to work at bit right now at getting the sync the way you want/need it, and be open to compromise on some of your desires in order to get things done.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I am impressed with what I see with the phone, but if I have to 'wash' my contacts, and other info through GMAIL/Google Docs it may be a deal breaker. I have seen that with the upgraded version of Google Docs there is an Outlook Sync. Has anyone used that, and how intact does it leave your data?

Outlook calendar and contacts sync really well through the standard Gmail. As far as i know it has to go through Gmail. But that is not an issue for me. I put an appointment on an Outlook calendar, and it wirelessly syncs to my phone and appointments on my phone sync to Outlook.

tehpriest

Reaction score
If you are a very tied to Outlook/Office for work or life activities, then the DROID (or other Android phone) may not be a very good choice. If you're used to the sort of MS ActiveSync synchronization, you'll be disappointed. The DROID, in particular, really does push you to the Google method of doing things, and syncing your calendar and contacts is possible, but a bit tricky, and there's often an assumption that you'll doing things through Google online as the proxy to your phone.

The info the other posts have is helpful - it give you an idea of where things are currently. But you might want to consider a Windows Mobile phone, since that will allow you to sync much more tightly.

If you want an Android phone, be prepared to work at bit right now at getting the sync the way you want/need it, and be open to compromise on some of your desires in order to get things done.

I couldn't disagree more and I have only just moved over to the Milestone from an E90 I have used for the past three years. Using either the software I mentioned above or, if you have access to a Exchange server then it is even easier with the built in software.

etx_droid

Reaction score
One of the first things I did whenever I got my phone was sync to Exchange...with no extra apps. It was very simple and has been working flawlessly and also pulled my calendar over as well. It asked me if I wanted to sync my contacts during the initial set up...very easy...

OP
T

ttevogt

Reaction score
Thank you for the update on the Exchange info.....I am not using Outlook on an Exchange server. This is Outlook 2007 on a PC.

Google really missed the boat on this. There are millions of small businesses who do not use an exchange server, and they have told them that they do not need to purchase a phone using their operating system. Using gmail as an alternative to Outlook is like going back to Outlook Express or MS Mail. Outlook is an business app, where the others are not!!!

etx_droid

Reaction score
Thank you for the update on the Exchange info.....I am not using Outlook on an Exchange server. This is Outlook 2007 on a PC.

Google really missed the boat on this. There are millions of small businesses who do not use an exchange server, and they have told them that they do not need to purchase a phone using their operating system. Using gmail as an alternative to Outlook is like going back to Outlook Express or MS Mail. Outlook is an business app, where the others are not!!!

Oh, I see your problem now. Hope you find a solution!

GuyWithDogs

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more and I have only just moved over to the Milestone from an E90 I have used for the past three years. Using either the software I mentioned above or, if you have access to a Exchange server then it is even easier with the built in software.

Disagree that the DROID may be a bad fit for the original poster, or with my advice to expect compromise in getting his sync to work between Outlook and the DROID? I'm not knocking the DROID, but it's not the phone for everyone. He's not the only guy who's been carping in forums about sync issues with Microsoft Outlook. Some people need that ActiveSync tight coupling, and when evaluating requirements for a new phone, need to consider that. He's probably going to be happier in the long run with a WinMo phone as his tool of choice, than a DROID with all its other cool goodnesses, but not the tight sync interaction he's used to.

I have an HP iPaq PDA. Its native sync with Outlook and Office far surpasses the current sync situation I have with the DROID, and the iPaq is a much dumber machine. But it was built with sync in mind, and the DROID/Android isn't.

So we need to run extra apps to sync to the Google Calendar, and do some dances to get contacts to move back and forth between Outlook, Google in the cloud, and the DROID. I'm fine with that, for my situation.

If I had to sync with my work computer, there's no way I'd get a DROID. We use *shudder* Lotus Notes at work. But I got my DROID for a bunch of different reasons, and I knew that sync would be a bit of a challenge.

Booch_21

Reaction score
I keep a lot of info for each contact, and do not want it messed up when bringing it into the Droid.
I came from a Windows Mobile phone and had the same concerns. CompanionLink was the answer for me. I can USB sync with my standalone Outlook 2003 and the contacts came to the Droid intact and fully functional. Google does not see my contacts through GMail. I do prefer to use Google Sync for the Outlook calendar. I prefer that to be more immediate, but can easily let a wired sync handle the contacts.

clcto is the username for the CTO of CompanionLink. Do check out that linked video review of CompanionLink. They have a nice product and it just keeps getting better.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score