Otterbox Defender - Worth it?

Mogat

Reaction score
I just got the Razr Maxx today and am considering getting an otterbox defender and dropping phone insurance. My Droid held up fine without a case but ended up a bit worse for wear, I didnt need to use the insurance on my last phone and it does not seem to be worth the cost over time. I had two friends that had defenders for their iPhones in college and it seemed like they did the trick. My question is do I need to go as far as the defender or could I make due with the commuter. For work I plan on getting into law enforcement but for right now I dont have a job that requires the extreme protection of the defender, although I may in the not too distant future. Personally I like the sleekness of the phone but protection is priority (dont feel like having to buy a new phone).

Any suggestions?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I like the defender. I always put otter box defenders on all of my phones though. I don't know of a case that works a well as the defender IMHO. Its worth the money to me, just be forewarned that it's hard as heck to get open at times.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

steeveegee

Reaction score
without a doubt
especially for me being a contractor my phone is subjected to some serious abuse
saved my dx from destruction so i bought one for the maxx immediately
the screen protector is a bit soft and gets scratched
but you can remove it and use a different one really easy

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have the defender on my Maxx and like it a lot. I definitely think its worth it.

huskur

Reaction score
Scratch the Defender and get the Otterbox Commuter. Its way less bulky and i can use this phone as a hockey puck if i needed to. With the commuter its also still thin enough to fit in most pouches

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think the defender case is still pretty slim and it does come with a holster which I use. I don't know if the commuter does?

skipbl92

Reaction score
I have the OtterBox Commuter with a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD. The commuter to me appears to be slimmer than the defender. One of the big difference between the defender and commuter that I noticed (besides size) is the feel. The defender is a plastic case that is wrapped in a rubber boot. The commuter is the exact opposite. So the defender gives you a better grip/hold whereas the commuter is plastic therefore you don't have a good of a hold on it. The commuter is easier to get out of pocket because the rubber boot grabs onto clothing.

Either one would be fine, my only suggestion would be using a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD instead of the screen protector provided with either the defender or commuter.

ebrizzle

Reaction score
Definitely go with the commuter. The defender is way too big. The commuter gives you the same protection and you can actually still put it in your pocket. It's not a brick that requires a clip to carry it around dangling off your belt or pocket like the defender size is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

crakmasta

Reaction score
I've had them both. Otterbox is the best. Defender offers the most protection, and is virtually bulletproof. Commuter, slightly less so, but much slimmer. In my opinion, construction, farming, law enforcement, etc, you'd be better served with the defender.

Sent via bolt of thunder!

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Definitely go with the commuter. The defender is way too big. The commuter gives you the same protection and you can actually still put it in your pocket. It's not a brick that requires a clip to carry it around dangling off your belt or pocket like the defender size is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Okay its not that big! ;) I carry my phone in my pocket with out the extra case a lot. I just like the added holster at times. Different strokes for different folks and all that of course just wanted to add that the defender is not that huge. :)

OP
M

Mogat

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, going with the defender but getting a different screen protector

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, going with the defender but getting a different screen protector

Just use the built-in one, removing it allows more dirt to get into places where it shouldn't.

MaXKiLLz

Reaction score
I chose the Commuter. Awesome case. Some people don't like to put their Razr in their pocket, preferring a holster clipped to the waist instead. If this is your preference, you might want the Defender.

gregsimmons

Reaction score
I bought the defender since I get 25% off all accessories and because the price was right, I didn't think twice. Yes it's a thick case, but it's not too extreme that I don't want to put it in my back pocket. I don't even use the holster and when I do, it's not that much of an inconvenience and although I do have the insurance, I'll be dropping it my next billing cycle as I have a Thunderbolt as a backup.