Otterbox Defender - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by Mogat, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mogat

Mogat New Member

I just got the Razr Maxx today and am considering getting an otterbox defender and dropping phone insurance. My Droid held up fine without a case but ended up a bit worse for wear, I didnt need to use the insurance on my last phone and it does not seem to be worth the cost over time. I had two friends that had defenders for their iPhones in college and it seemed like they did the trick. My question is do I need to go as far as the defender or could I make due with the commuter. For work I plan on getting into law enforcement but for right now I dont have a job that requires the extreme protection of the defender, although I may in the not too distant future. Personally I like the sleekness of the phone but protection is priority (dont feel like having to buy a new phone).

Any suggestions?
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I like the defender. I always put otter box defenders on all of my phones though. I don't know of a case that works a well as the defender IMHO. Its worth the money to me, just be forewarned that it's hard as heck to get open at times.

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  3. steeveegee

steeveegee Member

without a doubt
    especially for me being a contractor my phone is subjected to some serious abuse
    saved my dx from destruction so i bought one for the maxx immediately
    the screen protector is a bit soft and gets scratched
    but you can remove it and use a different one really easy
  4. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

I have the defender on my Maxx and like it a lot. I definitely think its worth it.
  5. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Scratch the Defender and get the Otterbox Commuter. Its way less bulky and i can use this phone as a hockey puck if i needed to. With the commuter its also still thin enough to fit in most pouches
  6. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I hear the Commuter is better than the Defender.
  7. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

I think the defender case is still pretty slim and it does come with a holster which I use. I don't know if the commuter does?
  8. skipbl92

skipbl92 New Member

I have the OtterBox Commuter with a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD. The commuter to me appears to be slimmer than the defender. One of the big difference between the defender and commuter that I noticed (besides size) is the feel. The defender is a plastic case that is wrapped in a rubber boot. The commuter is the exact opposite. So the defender gives you a better grip/hold whereas the commuter is plastic therefore you don't have a good of a hold on it. The commuter is easier to get out of pocket because the rubber boot grabs onto clothing.

Either one would be fine, my only suggestion would be using a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD instead of the screen protector provided with either the defender or commuter.
  9. ebrizzle

ebrizzle New Member

Definitely go with the commuter. The defender is way too big. The commuter gives you the same protection and you can actually still put it in your pocket. It's not a brick that requires a clip to carry it around dangling off your belt or pocket like the defender size is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  10. crakmasta

crakmasta New Member

I've had them both. Otterbox is the best. Defender offers the most protection, and is virtually bulletproof. Commuter, slightly less so, but much slimmer. In my opinion, construction, farming, law enforcement, etc, you'd be better served with the defender.

Sent via bolt of thunder!
  11. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Okay its not that big! ;) I carry my phone in my pocket with out the extra case a lot. I just like the added holster at times. Different strokes for different folks and all that of course just wanted to add that the defender is not that huge. :)
  12. Mogat

Mogat New Member

Thanks everyone, going with the defender but getting a different screen protector
  13. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Just use the built-in one, removing it allows more dirt to get into places where it shouldn't.
  14. MaXKiLLz

MaXKiLLz New Member

I chose the Commuter. Awesome case. Some people don't like to put their Razr in their pocket, preferring a holster clipped to the waist instead. If this is your preference, you might want the Defender.
  15. gregsimmons

gregsimmons New Member

I bought the defender since I get 25% off all accessories and because the price was right, I didn't think twice. Yes it's a thick case, but it's not too extreme that I don't want to put it in my back pocket. I don't even use the holster and when I do, it's not that much of an inconvenience and although I do have the insurance, I'll be dropping it my next billing cycle as I have a Thunderbolt as a backup.
  16. erasmi

erasmi New Member

I bought the otter box commuter after reading the reviews on here and on amazon. I have to say, what a pain in the arse it was to get the plastic piece to fit properly over the silicone. After about several attempts and a solid 20 minutes I finally think I have it on properly.There was also a large opening on one side of the silicone (opposite side of the power/volume buttons) but the opening does not line up with the compartment that houses the sd card/cim so I'm not sure why it's there. It made installation of the plastic covering even more difficult. I also don't find it easy to close the rubber flat that covers the headphone jack. On the positive, I really like the way the button cover makes it easy to find/use the power button. In hindsight, I wish I had waited to buy a cover but I guess if I drop the phone tonight I'll recant that comment. I used to always were my standard phones on my belt/waist line but since I had the X I just found that it was too big and that was not a good option for me as I'd snag it on things and actually drop it more. I like the front pocket, can feel it vibrate if I'm getting a call. Just my 2 cents....
  17. fireman00

fireman00 Member

I've used the Commuter for my Droid X and my new MAXX, they are the best IMHO.
  18. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I too put the Commuter on my Maxx today, and I am quite pleased with it. I do have to say coming from the OG Razr this big battery and Ottorbox adds some weight. Still not bad but you can definitely tell between the two phones the weight difference.
  19. jmack356

jmack356 New Member

As a rule, and IMHO, anything that says "Otterbox" on it is top-notch.
    I went with the Commuter though over the Defender, since it seems to be just as good, but only half as thick.
    The Defender looked too much like a brick to me... that thing is huge.
  20. Mogat

Mogat New Member

My defender came today but after looking at the bare screen for two weeks the protector makes me sad. A previous poster said that removing it would just open the case up for more dust but seeing as theres a huge gap at the top anyway I figure it wont make too much of a difference. Did anyone take theirs off and use a different one? If so what one and does it really lower the protection the defender offers?
Search tags for this page
droid razr maxx otterbox
droid razr maxx otterbox commuter vs defender

droid razr maxx otterbox defender vs commuter

droid razr maxx otterbox review

droid razr otterbox defender vs commuter

is otterbox worth it

is the otterbox worth it

otterbox commuter vs defender razr maxx
otterbox defender droid razr maxx

otterbox defender razr maxx review

otterbox defender worth it