Otterbox Defender - Worth it?

erasmi

Reaction score
I bought the otter box commuter after reading the reviews on here and on amazon. I have to say, what a pain in the arse it was to get the plastic piece to fit properly over the silicone. After about several attempts and a solid 20 minutes I finally think I have it on properly.There was also a large opening on one side of the silicone (opposite side of the power/volume buttons) but the opening does not line up with the compartment that houses the sd card/cim so I'm not sure why it's there. It made installation of the plastic covering even more difficult. I also don't find it easy to close the rubber flat that covers the headphone jack. On the positive, I really like the way the button cover makes it easy to find/use the power button. In hindsight, I wish I had waited to buy a cover but I guess if I drop the phone tonight I'll recant that comment. I used to always were my standard phones on my belt/waist line but since I had the X I just found that it was too big and that was not a good option for me as I'd snag it on things and actually drop it more. I like the front pocket, can feel it vibrate if I'm getting a call. Just my 2 cents....

fireman00

Reaction score
Scratch the Defender and get the Otterbox Commuter. Its way less bulky and i can use this phone as a hockey puck if i needed to. With the commuter its also still thin enough to fit in most pouches

I've used the Commuter for my Droid X and my new MAXX, they are the best IMHO.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I too put the Commuter on my Maxx today, and I am quite pleased with it. I do have to say coming from the OG Razr this big battery and Ottorbox adds some weight. Still not bad but you can definitely tell between the two phones the weight difference.

jmack356

Reaction score
As a rule, and IMHO, anything that says "Otterbox" on it is top-notch.
I went with the Commuter though over the Defender, since it seems to be just as good, but only half as thick.
The Defender looked too much like a brick to me... that thing is huge.

OP
M

Mogat

Reaction score
My defender came today but after looking at the bare screen for two weeks the protector makes me sad. A previous poster said that removing it would just open the case up for more dust but seeing as theres a huge gap at the top anyway I figure it wont make too much of a difference. Did anyone take theirs off and use a different one? If so what one and does it really lower the protection the defender offers?

jeff70

Reaction score
I have never been one to use cases but since I haven't owned a phone in the past that I have enjoyed as much as the Maxx I thought this time I would take the time to protect it right

thanks all in this thread that suggested the otterbox commuter because I bought it and it's sturdy build and at the same time not adding much bulk and thickness to the phone is great

the included screen protector is OK but I will probably after a little more research and reading reviews get another screen protector somewhere down the line to replace the one that came with the case