OTA "update failed" after root

NXLTrauma25

Reaction score
I got my X today and after the salesman told me it had the most recent OTA on it (im an idiot for not double checking) I took it home and rooted it...

Well I just got the latest OTA update that was released the other day and when I go to install it it reboots and starts to install but then reboots again and says update failed.

I have no idea what to do but can only assume its because I rooted before upgrading.

Can anyone confirm this?

I did a hard reset and of course root was still there and the OTA still failed so I am at a loss for what to do.

OP
N

NXLTrauma25

Reaction score
I just tried applying the update via the recovery menu update.zip and the error that came up was "signature verification failed"

ldefranco

Reaction score
I am talking about the Droid X and unfortunately I have the same issue. Update will download, install starts, Phone resets to do install, Phone hangs after about 20% of update bar progress, then an X appears and the phone resets again and says software update failed. Would a factory data reset set the phone back to the original settings w/o Root? If that's the case, I suppose I could restore, then root, but what about when the OTA for 2.2 comes out, is everybody who rooted going to be SOL, or did I do something wrong (a definite possibility)?

freeskier44

Reaction score
I am talking about the Droid X and unfortunately I have the same issue. Update will download, install starts, Phone resets to do install, Phone hangs after about 20% of update bar progress, then an X appears and the phone resets again and says software update failed. Would a factory data reset set the phone back to the original settings w/o Root? If that's the case, I suppose I could restore, then root, but what about when the OTA for 2.2 comes out, is everybody who rooted going to be SOL, or did I do something wrong (a definite possibility)?

Oh alright. The other person wasn't... there's no recovery menu for the Droid X... yet!. Did you rename, or uninstall any .apk's? If so rename them back and the update should then go through.

ldefranco

Reaction score
freeskier44 you are my hero! How did you know that was exactly what I did?! Thanks for the save! So If I remove (rename) any verizon installed apps I would have to restore them every time I wanted to do an OTA update right? I guess I can wait until after 2.2 to remove any useless apps.

OP
N

NXLTrauma25

Reaction score
Hold down the home button plus power until the M logo appears. When it does release power. When the exclamation point appears press search and home at the same time...Droid X recovery menu.

It has a recovery menu just not a custom rom friendly one.

I have yet to remove any of the bloatware and I am still getting this error.

A factory reset does not remove root.

OP
N

NXLTrauma25

Reaction score
I forgot I did remove the CityID apk when I rooted.

I just put it back on so I'll post back if that fixed it.

thanks alot I never would have thought of that

mathletics

Reaction score
Restore APKs

I restored all the renamed APKs and the OTA update applied successfully. I'm really curious which ones actually NEED to be there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it appears that the OTA updates are going out for the X. That's good news for some people. But it didn't occur to anyone that you may have trouble getting an update rooted? Is there no back up that's made before you root?

Well, I'm going to find out myself in a couple of weeks when 2.2 ota hits the airwaves for the Droid. I'm going to worry about it at that time. If worst comes to worst and I really want the update I can always flash SPRecovery and go back to 2.1.

mathletics

Reaction score
After OTA update, had to fix the permissions on SU in order for root explorer to get access. Pretty painless.

Pr0metheus

Reaction score
I cannot get this update to install to save my life :mad: I rooted my phone and renamed some of the apps...I renamed those apps to their original name (.apk), and the update did not work. Then, I reset the phone to factory and it did not work...Then, I formatted my sd card and pulled the battery, and the update still did not work...Any help would be greatly appreciated...