OTA "update failed" after root

c.murphy360

Reaction score
Replace stock .apk

I restored all the renamed APKs and the OTA update applied successfully. I'm really curious which ones actually NEED to be there.

Hey all! New the the DROID community, just rooted my X a couple days ago and i'm getting the Update Failed error. I deleted the .apk's from my phone an I don't know where to find replacements. Any ideas?

kwallye

Reaction score
does anyone know the default list of verizon's apk, I am forgot what I removed?

nursereese

Reaction score
I cannot get this update to install to save my life :mad: I rooted my phone and renamed some of the apps...I renamed those apps to their original name (.apk), and the update did not work. Then, I reset the phone to factory and it did not work...Then, I formatted my sd card and pulled the battery, and the update still did not work...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I'm in the same boat, except I had deleted some of the original .apk's and had to reinstall them from the DroidXSystemBackup.zip file. Still not working! This is so frustrating! :angry: Does anyone know if there is a way to factory Restore the default applications? I will try to unroot as well. <sigh>

raygill36

Reaction score
You don't need to UNROOT to update.

You need to hit the [SEARTH] key on your Droid X when you see the little droid graphics during update. This will allow you to see what the errors are. Then go to here to get the files you need in .516 format. Make sure you use Root Explorer (app) to copy/paste and use the PERMISSIONS to set the correct read/write settings. (look at the other files in the /system/app folder if you aren't sure).

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Vocoder

Reaction score
You don't need to UNROOT to update.

You need to hit the [SEARTH] key on your Droid X when you see the little droid graphics during update. This will allow you to see what the errors are. Then go to here to get the files you need in .516 format. Make sure you use Root Explorer (app) to copy/paste and use the PERMISSIONS to set the correct read/write settings. (look at the other files in the /system/app folder if you aren't sure).

Good Luck.

This is EXCELLENT advice - It 'reminded' me that I tweaked the framework-res.apk file at some point and that's holding me up now. Does anyone have a default framework-res.apk file they could post!?

pruett

Reaction score
After OTA update, had to fix the permissions on SU in order for root explorer to get access. Pretty painless.

How did you change the SU permissions. I'm locked out of Root Explorer. Please help. Thanks!

dhaymond

Reaction score
how would you install the ones yoe need? or the hold zip file of all, but i also dont want to have doubles of everything right?

jkiddkilla

Reaction score
unroot it and try

thats the problem..I cannot find anywhere how to unroot if it is even possible on the X

here is instructions on UN-Rooting the X
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62916-unrooting-droidx.html

look im new at this some one else rooted my phone before the new up date came out and it keeps failing to install i dont know what i did to my phone and i dont know how to get it back to stock the stock text messeging is gone and i dont know how to get that back either