OTA 9.18.79 update fails

chuckh1958

Reaction score
I checked for updates today and found that 9.18.79 is available. I'm on 9.16.6 and having the issue where the device freezes if left charging overnight. I'm also rooted. I thought this update might fix the charging issue so I tried to apply the update by selecting download now, and then apply later. After the download finished, I checked the /cache folder and found the file it download was Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip. Shouldn't that say 9.18.79? The timestamp on the file is right (today) but the version # in the name seems wrong.

Needless to say when I tried to apply the update, it failed. FWIW I have OTA rootkeeper installed. Before installing the update I temporarily unrooted. It didn't help.

Am I screwing up something or is it Verizon or Motorola? Based on the file name above though I'm thinking they may be sending out the wrong file.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
thats the right file, the file is always named for the version you are coming FROM not going TO.

as for the failing, you cant have any bloat deleted or frozen, basically any deviation from stock could cause it to fail.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
I haven't removed any of the Verizon bloatware. The only thing I've used to root for so far is the sqlite tethering hack.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i dont know if that would cause it to fail or not, i would try to undo the changes if you can. some sort of modification is causing the failure.

KaChow

Reaction score
I checked for updates today and found that 9.18.79 is available. I'm on 9.16.6 and having the issue where the device freezes if left charging overnight. I'm also rooted. I thought this update might fix the charging issue so I tried to apply the update by selecting download now, and then apply later. After the download finished, I checked the /cache folder and found the file it download was Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip. Shouldn't that say 9.18.79? The timestamp on the file is right (today) but the version # in the name seems wrong.

Needless to say when I tried to apply the update, it failed. FWIW I have OTA rootkeeper installed. Before installing the update I temporarily unrooted. It didn't help.

Am I screwing up something or is it Verizon or Motorola? Based on the file name above though I'm thinking they may be sending out the wrong file.

Eventhough, you mention that the update failed, I would still suggest taking a look at the About phone from the Settings. This OTA imo happens to be highly sensitive as anything that does not load or appear visible will abort the update. Still the most stable approach to taking this update is with the Stock recovery and installing the Update from the System Updates in Settings. Manual updates that is retrieving the file through Recovery either from the External SD card, or Sideload, or even ADB these applications are less successful however, when an error occurs these install methods indicate an error message showing what caused the installation to abort. Now, on the flipside, while you mention that your installation failed, I would still recommend looking at the System Version that you currently have. If your System version is 9.16.6 then the update did in fact fail, however if it is 9.18.79 then the Update did take place even in the event that it failed. The bigger question remains which is did you get the new Baseband Radio if it reads VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P then you received the update, if the Baseband reads VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.09P then you still have the old radio. IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET A PARTIAL UPDATE, WHERE AS the system may read 9.18.79 or 9.20.1 and you can still have the Old radio at VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.09P. Take a look at your Settings and let me know what it says and also have you restored Root, if not I know how.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Eventhough, you mention that the update failed, I would still suggest taking a look at the About phone from the Settings. This OTA imo happens to be highly sensitive as anything that does not load or appear visible will abort the update. Still the most stable approach to taking this update is with the Stock recovery and installing the Update from the System Updates in Settings. Manual updates that is retrieving the file through Recovery either from the External SD card, or Sideload, or even ADB these applications are less successful however, when an error occurs these install methods indicate an error message showing what caused the installation to abort. Now, on the flipside, while you mention that your installation failed, I would still recommend looking at the System Version that you currently have. If your System version is 9.16.6 then the update did in fact fail, however if it is 9.18.79 then the Update did take place even in the event that it failed. The bigger question remains which is did you get the new Baseband Radio if it reads VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P then you received the update, if the Baseband reads VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.09P then you still have the old radio. IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET A PARTIAL UPDATE, WHERE AS the system may read 9.18.79 or 9.20.1 and you can still have the Old radio at VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.09P. Take a look at your Settings and let me know what it says and also have you restored Root, if not I know how.

System Version9.16.6.XT926.Verizon.en.US
Baseband VersionVANQUISH_BP_100730.081.64.09P

How can I determine what is causing it to fail? I'm pretty comfortable with the linux shell and I have both adb installed on my pc, and connectbot on the device.

I'm sure I could do a FDR and then apply the update but I really dont want to lose root.

geekabilly

Reaction score
Make sure you are on stock recovery and unlocked before flashing, too - reflashing root simple once unlocked - lots of other threads with info on this too

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Make sure you are on stock recovery and unlocked before flashing, too - reflashing root simple once unlocked - lots of other threads with info on this too

I know nothing about "stock recovery" or "unlocked". I've never flashed a ROM on this device. I simply rooted it to use the SQLite tethering hack. I've tried backing out the SQLite hack and temporarily unrooting with OTA Rootkeeper. The update keeps failing every time I try to apply it. I see a screen with an Android and ball lighning spinning around inside it, then it goes to an Android with an exclamation mark, and reboots. When it comes up it says "the software update failed".

If I backup everything with adb -apk -all, then do a FDR, will I be able to restore the backup and (1) retain root, (2) avoid reinstalling all my apps?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
The problem I see for you is, even with root protected you may not be able to recover it. If, by whatever means, you get the update to install and root won't re-enable with voodoo (which is very possible), you are stuck with an unrooted phone and no way to re-root it until someone figures out a new way.
As of now the only way to ensure you can get root back no mater what happens with the update, is to unlock the bootloader first.
Just thought you might want to know that, if you didn't already.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
As of now the only way to ensure you can get root back no mater what happens with the update, is to unlock the bootloader first.
Just thought you might want to know that, if you didn't already.

How do I unlock the bootloader?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
There is a easy one click tool, I'm on my phone or I would grab the link for you. Just Google RAZR HD unlock bootloader tool I'm sure it will come right up.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
I grabbed a copy of motopocolypse and unlocked the bootloader. Not sure what to do next.

I made a backup using apk -all -apk. If I do FDR, and successfully apply the update, will I be able to restore that backup to avoid having to reinstall and reconfigure everything? That could take me days.

Also how would I go about recovering root should the update remove it, now that my bootloader is unlocked?

KaChow

Reaction score
I grabbed a copy of motopocolypse and unlocked the bootloader. Not sure what to do next.

I made a backup using apk -all -apk. If I do FDR, and successfully apply the update, will I be able to restore that backup to avoid having to reinstall and reconfigure everything? That could take me days.

Also how would I go about recovering root should the update remove it, now that my bootloader is unlocked?

Okay, so here are the next steps.

1) Install this app, OTA Snatcher this app will make a copy of your OTA which based on your system version 9.16.6 the OTA will be labeled something like "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" - I'll get to this step in moment for now download this app.

2) Install the app OTA Rootkeeper, this is to backup Root.

3) Go ahead and make all of your backups to this point, you will need to do an FDR, and this will erase all Data and everything. So make your backups of the apks, I should note that you will most likely only be able to restore the data on each individual apk, I don’t know what you’re using. If you are backing up the System and Data as a ROM Backup, if the OTA is successful you will not be able to use the ROM Backup as this OTA changes the System version and Baseband, restoring a backup would remove the new System version and Baseband.

4) Go into OTA Rootkeeper and “Temp-Unroot” then go into Settings> Privacy> and hit the FDR.

5) Go ahead and reapply your settings, and get your apps installed, once OTA Rootkeeper appears go ahead and Restore Root, if Root fails let apps continue to load. If Root has failed and once all apks have been updated and installed, go into the App drawer find the SU Hashmark app, hold down on it and Uninstall it. Once it has been removed go into Motochopper and reinstall Root. This will only work on System versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9. Let device boot and go ahead and make sure SU is working.

6) Now that you have Root and have the Unlocked Bootloader, go into Settings> System update> and begin to download the OTA. But do not install, yet.

7) Once, OTA has downloaded go into OTA Snatcher and select the option to snatch the OTA. Pay attention to the location as the OTA is saved on the Internal Storage. In order to find the OTA which will be labeled "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" you need to have a file manager on your device, just find the file> then cut or copy the file and paste it on your External SD Card or SD1> do not place the file in a folder it should be located where the files such as “data”, “DCIM”, “LOST.DIR” are located.

8) You will need to stock recovery to precede this produces the most consistent results, if you are unsure of what Recovery you have it is most likely that you stock recovery.

9) Go ahead and go to your app drawer> find OTA Rootkeeper> select and “Temp Un-Root” save your SU Backup and go ahead to Settings> System update> select Install.
If all goes well, then your device will reboot and the new System version will 9.18.79 and the Baseband will be VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.15P.

If the OTA fails here is what you do.
10) Go ahead and Reboot> Power + Volume (-) down> as soon as the screen goes black hold Power + Volume (+) up> highlight the Recovery option and press Volume (+) up> at the dead android screen hold Volume (-) down and quickly press Volume (+) up. Now find the option to install update for external memory and press the Power button> this will open your sd card find the file "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" and press Power.

This may or may not work, but what is important is to get the error messages if it fails. Downloading the OTA through the System updates does not generate an error message, just mentions installations is aborted or install fails. Installation from the SD card, or Sideload, or ADB if there is something that fails then it is important to note what exactly fails, so it can be fixed or completely redone. Also, even if the update fails, still check your Settings> About phone> and what the System version and Baseband are. Sometimes the update will fail however it pushes enough information over to partial install or fully install the update with an installation failure.

Don’t forget to restore Root with OTA Rootkeeper when all is done, if it doesn’t work, let me know and I will post a Restore Root method for after OTA completes.