Organizing Gallery

shamus

Reaction score
Hey all.
I was just wondering what the best way to organize the gallery on the SD card. If there even was. I really don't like the way it's set up. Just seems to be way too many folders.
I did mount my SD and created some folders manually but I'm looking for an easier way. I hate trying to show someone a pic and having to sort through the whole gallery to find it. I'd rather just make a few folders and get my organization on.

cj100570

Reaction score
Anyone? Ideas?

Unfortunately we're SOL until Google or a 3rd party comes up with something. No matter how you organize your pics they will always show up the way they do now. Haphazardly! It has been a big issue for me since my album art shows up in the gallery and that makes it extremely difficult to find what I'm looking for.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is how I set mine up.

Works pretty good

/Media
Alarms (place folder in Media)
Ringtones (place folder in Media)
Notifications (place folder in Media)
/Music
/Pictures
/Videos

Xris

Reaction score
You seem to have already figured it out.. make folders.

If you put pics in folders, those same folders show up in the gallery.... what more exactly are you looking for?

and cj.. don't open the All Pics or whatever folder. Just open the pics from camera folder... boom, no album art. All Pics is, quite literally, every image on your SD card which isn't in a folder with a .nomedia file. That's what it's meant to do.

joef78

Reaction score
Here's a thread regarding a way to clean up the gallery.

Saw this on a google group post-

Tired of the gallery showing every picture or video anyplace on the card? Showing icons and who knows what else?

Just place a file named .nomedia INSIDE any directory you want to hide.

I just used astro to 'create' a new zip file- call it whatever you want. Once created then edit it to be named .nomedia and viola the stuff inside the folder with that filename won't show up in the gallery app.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yes, and the Astro app you mention is a good way to view and organize the contents of the SD card. The Droid doesn't have a good built in file manager (at least, not that I know of), so Astro fills the bill. It's like having a "my computer" icon on your phone...

richard79

Reaction score
Do you need to use astro file manager to use the ".nomedia" fix?

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
I have been trying my hardest to figure out a way to add the .nomedia file into my gallery.
When I open gallery there are too many folders. Camera pictures, Camera Videos, Camera Media, All Pictures.
Is there a way to add this file into the all pictures and the camera media folders?
I downloaded and paid the dollar for PhotoSafe and it does exactly what I wanted it to do as far as hiding those secret pics. Now I just want to get some maintenance done on my gallery by removing the extra folders. I just can't seem to find the directories anywhere except in the gallery itself. When I mount the card on my PC I only see DCIM.

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Here's a sample of my directory breakdown which I like;

Audio Books (root)

Music (root)

Pictures (root)
->Cancun
->Family
->IDs (used for photo IDs on the phone)
->Test Shots
->Wallpapers

Videos (root)
->Movies
->Personal
->TV Shows
-->Family Guy
-->South Park
-->Cheers

Now when I go into Gallery I see the "All xxxx" plus below I get a breakdown of each folder (ie Wallpapers, Test Shots, etc) with thumbs. Makes it quick and easy to find what I want.

You can do this with a file manager on the Droid but it's a lot easier move things around via a computer.

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
I got that part down just fine.
I have a few folders inside my gallery and that's all good.

But with the .nomedia fix is there any way to hide those excessive folders like the camera media and all pictures?

rawbutt

Reaction score
Great ideas here....my only questions are this. Even if I organize them as suggested in this thread, how do I make the Droid start storing new videos/pics in the folders I created instead of showing up in the gallery as "Camera pictures" and "Camera videos"? Also, it seems that if someone sends me a picture via a txt message and I save the pic, it puts it in yet another folder called "download". Any ideas? Thanks!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't believe you can change the default save location for the pictures you take with your camera... unfortunately.

Ohiomom

Reaction score
I think they really dropped the ball when developing the gallery for the moto droid. I am anxiously awaiting an app that will make organizing my pics easier.

luckmylife

Reaction score
I think they really dropped the ball when developing the gallery for the moto droid. I am anxiously awaiting an app that will make organizing my pics easier.

Totally agree. I had my pictures all nice and organized on my Blackberry Curve and now having them all mumble-jumbled is driving me crazy. I hate how I can't delete the unneccesary folders and create new ones... it's just annoying!