OG Droid Gets Some Very Rough Pre-Alpha Ice Cream Sandwich Tastiness

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;J5lSx8Hi19w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J5lSx8Hi19w[/video]​

It's pretty awesome that there are devs out there still working on getting all the latest Android builds working on the OG Droid. The venerable old girl is still kicking around, and now a pre-alpha build of Android 4.0.3 with CyanogenMod 9 is being worked on by a member of XDA. In fact, it's even available for download, and experimenters can get it, here. The video above was posted from a different XDA member, but shows off the OS running on the phone. There are still a lot of kinks to work out, and some of them are pretty important. The build is currently unable to connect to the external speakers or camera, and the screen rotation is off, amongst other issues.

Still, to get ICS jammed onto the OG Droid is pretty miraculous. It's like stuffing a Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid engine into a Model-T Ford!

Source: TheVerge

1quickv6

Reaction score
Now that is VERY exciting to see. Thanks for the post OP. dancedroid

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
For being an alpha build it's pretty decent.

Love having my Bionic, cause now I can put these kind of ROMs on my OG. Since it isn't my main any more.:happy3:

alm0614

Reaction score
The handset that will never die :)

It's amazing. I got that phone the day it released. I finally gave it up when Galaxy Nexus dropped for one reason, the GN is going to have the same support the OG did. But the way the OG is still being supported is remarkable. What a game-changing phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It's amazing. I got that phone the day it released. I finally gave it up when Galaxy Nexus dropped for one reason, the GN is going to have the same support the OG did. But the way the OG is still being supported is remarkable. What a game-changing phone.

Thats why I want to get one. I see a long live in the community for the GNex.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Wow, it's so nice to see that the OG Droid hasn't been abandoned. I was considering upgrading to the Droid 4 when it comes out. I really wish there was a way to increase internal storage space on the OG Droid, that's its worst limitation. It would also be cool if we could drop a better cpu in it instead of just OC'ing. Unfortunately neither of those are likely to happen in this space-time-continuum. So while it will be sweet to play with ICS on the OG Droid I may still upgrade to the Droid 4 eventually.

*Support the ROM devs, they're people too... I think... :unsure:

jscat445

Reaction score
My OG is my every day phone and I need something stable to run on every day. I use PE 6.5. If I make a fresh nandriod of PE and then wipe and flash this ICS rom can I simply restore the nandroid and get back to where I am now??
Just want to make sure I wont be stuck because it's a new os version 4.0 and I'm running 2.3.
Thanx for any help

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

gmorgan056

Reaction score
My OG is my every day phone and I need something stable to run on every day. I use PE 6.5. If I make a fresh nandriod of PE and then wipe and flash this ICS rom can I simply restore the nandroid and get back to where I am now??
Just want to make sure I wont be stuck because it's a new os version 4.0 and I'm running 2.3.
Thanx for any help

As long as you wipe everything I believe you should be good to go.

bemenaker

Reaction score
I thought my OG was dead in the beginning of October. The 3g stopped and I couldn't get it restarted. I was running Liquid's Frozen Yogurt on it. I hadn't tried any of the gingerbreads because of people complaining about exchange email support early on with gingerbread. Since my OG, was pretty messed up, and I was trying to hang on for the GNex, I went ahead and loaded LGB. It brought my phone back to life, and revived the 3G radio. Not only that, but LGB was the fastest, and smoothest rom I had run on my OG. Liquid's roms were continually the best on OG, but damn was gingerbread nice on it. Once someone get ICS running, I'll probably flash it for the hell of it. It just sits on my desk now. My GNex is my new workhorse.

bemenaker

Reaction score
Thanx for any help

The OG is a tank, pretty hard to brick that one. Just wipe everything before you go back to gingerbread and you shouldn't have a problem.