[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

FaceShrapnel

Reaction score
So I'm havin some troubles flashing this SBF. I was on the D2 GB OTA software, and RSD wont let me flash this file. I didn't think i needed to be rooted or anything. I tried changing around the file name and I still can't. I'm using RSD lite 4.9. I tried 4.8, but didn't change over the drivers, so maybe that was why it wouldn't read on 4.8.

mgarney26

Reaction score
So I'm havin some troubles flashing this SBF. I was on the D2 GB OTA software, and RSD wont let me flash this file. I didn't think i needed to be rooted or anything. I tried changing around the file name and I still can't. I'm using RSD lite 4.9. I tried 4.8, but didn't change over the drivers, so maybe that was why it wouldn't read on 4.8.

You could try rsd lite 5.5 since its the latest version

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

gr8whyt

Reaction score
VZW sent the GB update to my r2d2

Yesterday I got notified by VZW that an update was available. I agreed to do the update. After a lengthy download, it asked me if I would like to install it. As I was kinda busy and wouldn't be able to attend it I figured "what the heck I'll let it do it's thing and that way I'm not tempted to interrupt it and possibly foul it up". So I answered "yes". Well, it went off without a hitch. Now it looks a lot different and the Android version says 2.3.3. So far...so good.

Maybe everyone else has already got this update...sometimes it takes a while for this new stuff to make it all the way out here to Montana. Maybe they send it by stagecoach.

And thanks to this link (a tip of the old fedora to chasehammer), the one-click root also went in without a hitch. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. :D :D :D :D

jjq224

Reaction score
you can root using the Droid 3 One-Click method.
How To Root Motorola Droid 3 [One Click Method]

Simple:
Put phone with Debugging ON
download the One-Click files
plug phone up to usb, put in PC Mode
run MotorolaOneClick.exe
it detects your phone and runs it without you doing a thing
i can verify it works as i just did it :)

Worked like a champ. Rooted with no problems (other than I did it at work and when the phone rebooted three times it was a little annoying).

The thing that SUCKS is that somehow Verizon figured out a way to block the Wireless Tether app I had working great until the Gingerbread update. Now when I run it, I get Wireless Tether, I connect devices, but they immediately go to the Verizon website saying I can sign up for tethering. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks everyone!

jasonsyn

Reaction score

Are you flashing it from the bootloader? I know I had a lot if issues flashing it till I tried that.

coachbombay

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down the .sbf that is listed in this thread. the Adrive link does not work for me (states the file no longer exists) and I tried a quick google search of the filename and couldn not find it. Does anyone have an alternative download I could use?

jasonsyn

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down the .sbf that is listed in this thread. the Adrive link does not work for me (states the file no longer exists) and I tried a quick google search of the filename and couldn not find it. Does anyone have an alternative download I could use?

Here's the one I used that brought me to the stock R2D2 Froyo, which let me upgrade to GB through the system update. Hope this works for you.

http://db.tt/WyLZqOwF

kota

Reaction score
Something is up with my phone, about 10pm friday night I could only text one word at a time before it would lock up, I wouldhave to go "home" let it save as a draft then go back and enter one or two more words..and so on ... now its every app, facebook twitter ect.. (ANY app that requires text input) I can get one word typed and it freezez up sometimes even before I can hit send I m running stock Gingerbread on a motorola Droid2 R2D2 edition w/ go launcher any suggestions?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Spooky! Mine misbehaved similarly for the first time Sunday Oct 9th, from the moment I tried replying to my first TXT of the day. That conversation was ridiculous, had to retype each reply multiple times while "hello r u still there?" was incoming as the other party thought I wasn't responding... please excuse the delay, we are having technical difficulties! Decided it was better to give up and just CALL instead.

First off, this is not, according to LookOut free edition, any known malware infection. Whenever I see several unrelated clients experience similar symptoms, malware tends to be a culprit, but not in this case.

My detailed scenario:

R2D2's physical QWERTY keyboard would allow me to type at most a dozen keypresses before typing cursor would disappear, TXT composition window would freeze. There would be no response for up to 5 seconds, then it automatically backed out of the current TXT thread to my main threads listed by contact name, whereupon the remaining characters I had typed would show up as a search string (as if I had typed from my threads list to begin a search query).

The most peculiar thing to me is that my auto-save to Drafts wouldn't capture the partial messages either. So I would say the problem was as if my "back" button on keyboard or home keys was intermittently stuck, causing the current TXT window to bail out & return to previous screen... however: when I *intentionally* use the Back button, TXT app would normally auto-save the partially composed message as a Draft. The same was true previously when an incoming call would interrupt a TXT composition. In this case it was more like I hadn't typed anything at all, again and again, which drove me slightly batty I must say.

I then avoided the physical slide-out keyboard and used on-screen multi-touch (stock) to compose TXT, and when it would hiccup after a few on-screen keystrokes, at least it allowed me to tap the TXT entry field and resume w/ on-screen keyboard, after a few seconds' wait. So then I had to assume this was not a problem with just the physical keys but more like a software glitch.

Ask your doctor whether you have Phantom Back Button Syndrome?

Shortly after diagnosing this as an Android vs Motorola or 3rd party software problem, not necessarily R2D2's fault, then the stock Browser started having immediate Force Close errors as soon as it tried to load Google's mobile homepage. Add to that: since 2.3.3 OTA update from Verizon, random reboots, some other random force close issues in other apps, etc... same drill others have reported.

So let's narrow down the software contributors to this problem, I thought, focusing mainly on TXT first...

Next I used SMS Backup & Restore App to wipe out my 5900+ messages from the TXT app history to see if it was a storage/database problem in Android. No improvement. I restored the TXT history, defeated, only to be reminded of the Motorola bug when using Ritesh Sahu's app: date & timestamps for all SMS show the date/time of restoration, not original thread order... GRRR! Known Issue #4, if you're following his app blog.

(Not your fault Ritesh, I blame MOTOBLUR for that icky problem).

So I used Titanium Backup and MyBackup apps to zip an archive of all installed apps and settings, and Zemna AppList Backup to make a live backup of my Android Market links. The goal was to have a selective restoration list rather than reinstalling all current apps and their alleged respective bugs. (thank you Ti Backup for successfully restoring apps from offline zips, by the way).

Sidebar: Microsoft take note, please, I WISH Windows OS could do this for software recovery just like Android did for me today.

I also went a step further and used Norton Ghost to make a full image backup of the SDHC (original 8GB MicroSD) card which came installed with R2D2, to my Windows XP notebook.

I took a deep breath after reading the necessary steps, then...

I moved onto full data/settings backup and FACTORY RESET including ERASING THE SD CARD "for good measure."

This solved the TXT entry problem so far. Now i'm using Titanium Backup's restore feature to bring back "essential" apps for my day-to-day business... no more games & fun stuff while R2D2 is in observation for further behavioral problems, back to serious business only for a while. Call it probation, while I figure out if I can rework this SMS restoration before Motorola patches it.

I suspect the underlying problem was a CACHE glitch. It seemed like the predictive text dictionary was mid-suggestion when the TXT composition went bonk each time. I have seen mention in Titanium of "clean up the Dalvik Cache," so I would also like to think I shouldn't have to run a complete factory reset every 2 weeks, but we shall see (I guess!)...

Some of the 2.3.3 GingeR2D2 new features are welcomed, but I didn't know I was inviting new bugs, too. Of course, this is a popular definition of upgrade: take out old bugs, insert new bugs.

Sent from my R2D2 using DroidForums

ecanojr

Reaction score
I've been having a frustrating problem with my R2D2 Droid involving sending texts. What will happen is, I try to send a text and it will sits there in the sending status with the double arrow pointing left for 5 - 10 seconds. Then the phone just reboots itself. I've had the phone replaced twice for this now and the replacement phone I got two days ago just rebooted while attempting to send a text. Has anyone else had this issue? :mad:

chasehammer

Reaction score
thats weird. I havent had any issue with text. I would try this: turn phone off remove battery, hold down power button for 10 seconds (this is power cycling), then slide keyboard out, press all the buttons make sure not are stuck pressed down. then put battery back and try. If still reboot. Backup your stuff. SBF back to froyo and then update again.

I have a feeling that either a button is depressed or your system file for text app is messed up.

29castles

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

My digitizer on the my r2d2 has bit the bullet. I've noticed that the digitizer specifically for the r2d2 is like 20 bucks more than one for the regular droid 2. Is there any difference?

bigdav1178

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

My digitizer on the my r2d2 has bit the bullet. I've noticed that the digitizer specifically for the r2d2 is like 20 bucks more than one for the regular droid 2. Is there any difference?

Functionality-wise, they should be identical. Only difference should be the artwork around the perimeter of the touchscreen glass; the Droid 2 (A955) glass is bare except for the Moto logo and the touch buttons at the bottom, while the R2-D2 (A957) has additional "designs" across the top and sides. If you buy a digitizer that includes the silver frame around the screen, there is a color/shade difference between models.

mikkachu

Reaction score
Same texting problems... over a month running!

Something is up with my phone, about 10pm friday night I could only text one word at a time before it would lock up, I wouldhave to go "home" let it save as a draft then go back and enter one or two more words..and so on ... now its every app, facebook twitter ect.. (ANY app that requires text input) I can get one word typed and it freezez up sometimes even before I can hit send I m running stock Gingerbread on a motorola Droid2 R2D2 edition w/ go launcher any suggestions?

I can get a couple words typed at a time using the virtual keyboard and then the keyboard disappears and I have to hit the text entry field again to type a couple more words. It started happening about a week after the update. I factory reset it and it worked fine... for a week!
Then I called Verizon and was issued a replacement phone, that wouldn't recognize my battery so that got sent back and I was back using my original phone (that had been factory reset again) until the 2nd replacement phone got here. Well it was working fine... for a week again and then the cursor started sticking and letters not showing up until the keyboard disappeared.
By that time, the 2nd replacement phone got here and I switched to that 2 wks ago... Last Thurs I waited with bated breath to see if the week curse would strike again... it didn't... until SUNDAY! I don't want to have to keep factory resetting my phone every wk/wk and a half. I noticed the post below the one I'm replying to (by MrCatPc) was very similar also, I'm just wondering if anyone has figured something out. One of my friends mentioned that it sounded like a memory leak. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

jjq224

Reaction score
Thank GOD for this board - I thought I was going crazy! My phone is doing the EXACT same thing. I can type a few letters and then it locks up. I can't set a FB status - when I try it closes after a few words. I can sort of send a text message. It'll type a few letters, lock up and save it as draft. Reopen it, type some more, same thing. I've uninstalled things, reinstalled things, tried Handcent, etc. No avail. Was there a software update and nobody said anything?

If someone figures it out, please let us know!

Thanks!