Official "Droid 4 vs. X vs. Y vs Z" Thread

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are wondering if you should hold out and get the Droid 4 or go a different route with any other device, this is your thread!!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know people will hate on this, but I'm going with the Rezound. My upgrade day is 12/1 and i'm suck at waiting for things. I now the D4 and Gnex are MAYBE just a week away but the way I see it the Nexus just has the better software. Otherwise the Rezound seems to be nearly equal to it. Honestly the D4 has never even crossed my mind. I'll have to read more once again!

No matter how you feel or what way your leaning, it is a great time to be a Phone Fanatic!

I also have another upgrade in march!:D

JCDenton771

Reaction score
I saw that the Droid 4 will work with the Webdock from Motorola. I am in college and have a very large laptop that I don't like carrying to and from class, so I've been looking to buy a tablet to have in class. I heard the ASUS Transformer was one of the best tablets out there for a good price and I was just going to buy a keyboard with it. However, I plan on upgrading to the Droid 4 and saw that the webdock worked with it. Do you think the Webdock would be better since it's cheaper and I already have a good laptop? I think the Transformer is cool but it is a little expensive.

paczjj15

Reaction score
Currently looking at a few different phones

I have an upgrade discount available through Verizon and am looking to upgrade from my Droid Incredible. It was a nice choice for a first smartphone, but I can tell that it's getting slower and it's about time to replace it.

First of all, I'm a little hesitant about going with another HTC phone. While the Incredible hasn't been bad, some of the preinstalled stuff is just a little too much. I know most of it can be uninstalled and replaced (especially the interface), but I'd rather it just come installed with something I like. Plus, there's been a few other little things about it I didn't like. Overall, it has been a great phone, but I'd like to check something else out.

Obviously, since I'm posting in this forum, the primary contender on my list right now is the Droid 4. I just got an email from Verizon yesterday talking about it, and it caught my interest. I'm going to the local Verizon store today to take a look at some phones, but probably won't buy anything just yet.

Here are the other phones I'm considering as well:

Droid RAZR/RAZR Maxx
Galaxy Nexus

Some thoughts:

- I don't mind a bulky phone. In fact, I'd prefer it that way because I don't want a phone I feel like I can break because it's too thin. Something that feels very solid is preferred, though I'll probably get a case for it regardless.
- While I like my slider keyboard, a physical keyboard wouldn't be bad to have either. Sometimes I would like to type and see the screen at the same time. However, this isn't a must-have.
- Battery life is a concern, I'd like something that has a better chance of making it through a day of regular use (playing music, looking on the web, etc.) without needing constant charging.
- I'd like a nicer screen, but it doesn't have to be the best. A bigger screen may be nicer as well.
- I'd like a good camera (so I'm curious about the Nexus camera, less MP but they've hyped its "instant shutter", and since I do have a hard time holding still when taking pictures, that has my attention).
- An integrated battery doesn't bother me as long as there's a reliable way to reset the phone when it freezes. (Pulling the battery is usually my way of doing this.)
- I also want something reliable, that isn't going to freeze up just from what should be routine tasks. (My Incredible seems to do that lately.)
- I'd like to have ICS on my phone, though it shouldn't be the sole reason I get a phone (as long as the phone gets an upgrade later on).

That's some thoughts. Like I said, I'm going to the store today to look at the phones, but I'm looking for opinions from other people. What do other people think? (Also, would it be better to get the phone from a Verizon store or a store like Best Buy instead?)

- Droid 4
- Droid RAZR
- Droid RAZR MAXX
- Galaxy Nexus
- Wait a little longer because there's something much better coming out in the next month or two

Also, side questions:

- I see that Verizon is still offering the double data pack deals, how long is that going on for? I thought I had missed on it by waiting, but apparently it's still going. If I'm going to lose my unlimited data when I upgrade, I'd like to get in on that deal while I can.
- Can I reinstall all of my programs from the Android Market & Amazon Market on the new phone without having to rebuy the programs?

greenmile

Reaction score
That's some thoughts. Like I said, I'm going to the store today to look at the phones, but I'm looking for opinions from other people. What do other people think? (Also, would it be better to get the phone from a Verizon store or a store like Best Buy instead?)

- Droid 4
- Droid RAZR
- Droid RAZR MAXX
- Galaxy Nexus
- Wait a little longer because there's something much better coming out in the next month or two

Also, side questions:

- I see that Verizon is still offering the double data pack deals, how long is that going on for? I thought I had missed on it by waiting, but apparently it's still going. If I'm going to lose my unlimited data when I upgrade, I'd like to get in on that deal while I can.
- Can I reinstall all of my programs from the Android Market & Amazon Market on the new phone without having to rebuy the programs?

I'd say buy the phone from Best Buy and have them match Amazon.com's price which is $50 or $100 cheaper than Verizon depending on if you're extending a contract or getting a brand new one. PLUS BB has a $50 gift card promo right now which you might be able to bundle with the purchase (I heard they aren't always doing this though - hope you get lucky and an easygoing rep)

If you're not dead-set on a keyboard, the Razor maxx I'm sure you'd love and it has a better screen. I love the physical keyboard on the D4 and everything else about the phone, and it just feel right in your hand.

As far as waiting - I doubt we'll see another solid slider phone for a while that beats this because they're going out of style. I wasn't going to live with the D1 for another year waiting for this mythical D5.

Your questions:
1. No idea how long that promo is going for for double data
2. Yes, in android market go to "My Apps" and it will show apps that you've purchased on another phone through your google account and let you redownload them

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Pac. First off do not let the Verizon reps talk you out of unlimited data, you get to keep it.
The best thing to do is read up on all the phones your interested in. Look for bugs/issues people are having and what people love about the phone. Then go into the store and get a feel for the different phones. *look for the best deal you can find on the phone you chose before buying.
If you wait fir the latest and greatest, you will be stuck with what you currently have forever....lol.
To prevent buyers remorse or being mad that a better phone came out 15days after you just bought yours make an informed choice and chose to stick with it.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
And yes you will be able to keep all your apps after you upgrade. Google backs up your purchases on the market as long as you use the same gmail that your current phone is synced too. Not sure how amazon works but i woukd assume its the same.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JRParsons

Reaction score
Google doesn't back up the free apps. So you may want to make a list of those.
You shouldn't loose your unlimited data, as long as you don't put a "dumb" phone on the line.
The Verizon store is the best place to try the phones out, but I think Best Buy is the best place to purchase the phone.
Also be careful, the rep may have his/her opinion as to which is the best phone. I was getting a screen protector put on at Best Buy and I heard the rep tell someone that the Gnex was by far the best phone out, and none of the others were even close.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Google doesn't back up the free apps. So you may want to make a list of those.

The data might not be backed up, but your purchase/download histroy is saved on their server. If you go to market.android.com and sign in, you can click my library and see every app you have downloaded across all devices.

JRParsons

Reaction score
The data might not be backed up, but your purchase/download histroy is saved on their server. If you go to market.android.com and sign in, you can click my library and see every app you have downloaded across all devices.

No way, I have wasted a boatload of time, every time I have switched phones or done a hard reset. Learn something new everyday.

paczjj15

Reaction score
Thanks for the input

I went to the nearby Verizon store this morning to do some further looking. The Droid 4 was pretty good, and it would be a phone that I would be happy to have. HOWEVER, I also looked at the Droid Razr Maxx. IT BLEW ME AWAY. I was trying to find something wrong with it so I could reasonably go back to the Droid 4, but I couldn't. I don't care about losing the keyboard since it comes with Swype. I was afraid it would be too thin, but it still felt sturdy when I was holding it. The screen difference...there's no debate which one is better. I'm going to do some research, but assuming everything checks out, I'm going with the Razr Maxx and the decision wasn't close at all. If I can find a good deal on it, I'm getting it today.

So, I'm going to take my discussion over to that forum now, but that you for your input. It helped when I was looking at the phones today.