Official CRASH Thread aka Dropped my phone

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, here goes my latest drop story, and I did mess up my phone a little. I dropped it the other night in my hotel room, right onto the edge of the little coffee table. The edge of the table was not smooth, has some rough spots from years of use (like most hotel furniture). It hit just right and punctured my screen protector. I didn't want to peel it off until I got home. Sure enough, it put a tiny dent & small puncture in the outer layer of the screen. The good news is that piece is user replaceable for $30. It's basically just a thick screen protector. I am going to go to Verizon today and buy a tempered glass screen protector and see how it looks, it might hide the tiny blemish underneath a little? Looks like I might have to replace the outer layer at some point, will see how it goes and if that tiny blemish bothers me over time. Do I blame Motorola? Nope, I dropped it, I blame myself. Do I think their warranty is switch bait? Nope, it clearly states that the screen and phone are not indestructible. I knew when buying this that it was a 5 layer design and the outer layer can be damaged and scuffed up. The shattershield screen did exactly what it was designed to do, not crack or shatter! If that was any other phone the other day, I would probably be shopping for a new phone or new screen right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Well said. This is a new territory in portable displays that Motorola has successfully pioneered and I'm sure it will both be adopted in one form or another by others, as well as improved upon. Whatever the case, the display was not destroyed and the $30 you might have to spend to make it like new again is a far cry from either an insurance deductable OR the cost of a display repair.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Prologue: So on my new T2 I went with a glass protector. I loved my previous plastic Armor Suit shield. It was fantastic. But I went with glass this time. I do like the feel better.

So it got dropped tonight. THE drop. The drop that will surely break most phones. We were at a party. Paired my phone to the hosts BT speaker so my 5 yr old son could play his Spotify playlist. Dude loves music.
I hand him the phone....and he dropped it. The quintessential phone breaking drop. It landed flat on the deck (literally a deck). Totally flat...you know what I mean. All 4 corners flat. This is how I've broken every phone (and an iPad).
One of the women actually gasped. Two others got the worried look on the face.
I felt no fear as I reached for the phone.
Yep...it's pristine. Not even a crack in the protector.

I love this phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Did you then tout the shatter proof display?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Did you then tout the shatter proof display?

And say "what - ev's"?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
And say "what - ev's"?

I just imagined him yelling "John Cena" crashing through the wall.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Didn't say a word. Didn't even look at the screen. Just handed it back to my son. If someone would have asked, I would have then told them about the emoji saving T2. ;)
Actually I think I did say to the gasper ... "It's alright"

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Took my cracked screen protector off today to put a fresh one on at work.
Got called to someone's office. On my way I rubbed the face into my shirt right around the breast area to get some smudges off.
Right. Out. Of. My. Hand.
The big drop. Flat face down. Even Mr Confident here was a skooch nervous picking it up. Bent down. Picked it up.
Flawless.

I love this phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Took my cracked screen protector off today to put a fresh one on at work.
Got called to someone's office. On my way I rubbed the face into my shirt right around the breast area to get some smudges off.
Right. Out. Of. My. Hand.
The big drop. Flat face down. Even Mr Confident here was a skooch nervous picking it up. Bent down. Picked it up.
Flawless.

I love this phone.

And you saved some emojis in the process, good for you!

uploadfromtaptalk1472185717250.jpg

I still love this phone also, it will be hard to get rid of, when that day comes around.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Love this thread!

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I still love this phone also, it will be hard to get rid of, when that day comes around.

LOL, not really, I'll help you...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK...I'm getting downright cocky now. This is crazy. True story.

I'm installing a video card in an employees PC. It's in a pretty cramped area. I set my phone down on the opposite corner of the desk. I'm working on this PC... Can't really get to it. Set it on the desk which is covered in files. I slide the PC and it starts to move all the files. This whole area is being cleaned. Slide it a little more. I see my phone move to the edge. It's near teetering (had to use teetering...how often do you get to use that word?).
I still need a smidge more room. Do I go grab my phone? NO!
I proceed to say (in my head) EFF IT! push a little more and intentionally...knowingly...knock my phone to the floor!!!!!!
It's perfect. Do I need to even say that anymore? ;)

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
OK...I'm getting downright cocky now. This is crazy. True story.

I'm installing a video card in an employees PC. It's in a pretty cramped area. I set my phone down on the opposite corner of the desk. I'm working on this PC... Can't really get to it. Set it on the desk which is covered in files. I slide the PC and it starts to move all the files. This whole area is being cleaned. Slide it a little more. I see my phone move to the edge. It's near teetering (had to use teetering...how often do you get to use that word?).
I still need a smidge more room. Do I go grab my phone? NO!
I proceed to say (in my head) EFF IT! push a little more and intentionally...knowingly...knock my phone to the floor!!!!!!
It's perfect. Do I need to even say that anymore? ;)

I don't know if I've ever typed out the word teetering, so I thought I would give it a try.... Nice! It flows easily on the keyboard -- teetering..., yep, thanks! I think I'll try to come up with a use for that today when emailing a client LOL!
My biggest fear with dropping these shatter-proof screens is what happens to the innards? There's another word I don't think I've ever typed out... I'm not as concerned about the screen (though, see my post in the Z Force forum -- pic included), but am still concerned with knocking something loose on the inside. When I dropped my MAXX, yes the screen broke, but it acted extremely flaky after and had to be replaced.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No one's posted here in long time. Hmmm....why is that? Because it's really true? Because drops mean nothing to this phone? They really are shatterproof. I thought of this thread as I was walking into the bathroom. Dropped my phone when I opened the door. Phone crashed to the floor.
I didn't even reach for it. I don't move one muscle toward cushioning the fall of the phone. Why? Because I know it will take it with ease This phone is amazing. I love it. It is so freeing to not have to worry about cracked screens. No case. No screen protector. Well played Moto. I want to try another brand. I really like LG. But until someone makes a shatterproof screen...it's going to always be Moto... For me.