Now that we have root...

gilbertorbea

Reaction score
How long will it take for us to get some stock Gingerbread goodness on this Droid 3? ^_^

socalsx

Reaction score
Id like to know this as well.. will it be an extensive process?

rvcjew

Reaction score
first we need a recovery then we need a rom lol. so a while.

Reaction score
Also, i'd assume the bootloader still isn't unlocked which is necessary for custom roms, but at least now we've got root which is a feat in itself.

cyferhax

Reaction score
Also, i'd assume the bootloader still isn't unlocked which is necessary for custom roms, but at least now we've got root which is a feat in itself.
Its necessary to replace the kernel/boot stuff; but we saw plenty of near-aosp roms on the D2 before the 2nd init process was ported over. Right now I'm just happy to be able to remove (aka rename) some of the motobloat away. Not that I'm brave enough to remove the blur* stuff yet (and probably won't be without clockwork recovery and a nice SBF if things go really bad) but I've removed a ton of the preloaded crap; even got the full version of GTalk from the xda forums working. If you appreciate the work on this; and can afford it; throw djrbliss a few bucks for his work, he deserves it!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
We need a few things..

An .sbf would be great.....the ability to recover to stock is mighty nice when screwing with the system.

A recovery....clockworkmod or such, perhaps a bootstrap method ala the DX/2/X2.

The complete list of needed proprietary files to pull from the Droid 3

Adding those to the AOSP pull of the Gingerbread branch....or a pull of CyanogenMod's gingerbread branch....

It's going to be a while, though root has pushed us forward a few steps.